PDA

View Full Version : Did Lyman change the 311644?

Patrick L
06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
I shot this boolit about 10-12 years ago as my Highpower boolit for my O3A3. I had a two cavity, and liked it so much I asked Lyman to cut me a four banger, which they did (remember the old Lyman?)

Anyhow, I was looking through the mold charts in the Graf's catalog I just got, and it looks like they eliminated the nose lube grooves. My two molds have two lube grooves down towards the base, and two up on the bore riding nose, the idea being you could lube those two by hand. Actually, those multiple grooves are the reason I eventually left this boolit. It shot great, but my SAECO 301 is a big smooth boolit with one big lube groove, so it casts and releases much easier. And shoots just as well. No better, but just as well.

So, did they do a redesign?

excess650
06-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I read somewhere here that they eliminated the nose grooves.

I was debating which other big bullet to try, and can't decide between the 311299, 311284, and the 311679.:confused: I just got my Saeco 301 yesterday, and cast a few. It does drop really nice bullets quickly and easily. I found the Ranch Dog 311-165 in the mailbox this morning and had to cast some of those as well. This afternoon I was making up dummy rounds for the 30-06, 308, 7.5x55, and 30-30.

Maven
06-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Yup, they changed Ed Schmitt's design on the -644 as well as its smaller caliber iterations. This happened sometime after 1999, as mine had them and had a [packing] slip indicating its date of manufacture.

felix
06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Reasoning? It seems the design was good from the git-go, keeping needless weight from the nose, assuming they kept the nose length the same. ... felix

stephen perry
06-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Most of us have old ideal/lyman molds that we like. Some of them were Classics like 225 450, most were commercial dogs. What has survived are the molds that sell-make money for the conglomerate that owns lyman, use to be Leisure group when I was in college.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Mk42gunner
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
As far as I know, Lyman has changed just about every mold design they have, round balls maybe excepted); depending on who grinds the cherry.

This is one reason I really like to look at a mold in person before buying it.

Robert

wallenba
06-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I shot this boolit about 10-12 years ago as my Highpower boolit for my O3A3. I had a two cavity, and liked it so much I asked Lyman to cut me a four banger, which they did (remember the old Lyman?)

So, did they do a redesign?

Just Ordered one of those from Midsouth, UPS tracking has it at my local distribution point (no Saturday delivery). I ordered it on the assumption it was "as shown" on Lyman's website, but I've been bit by this one before (454190).
I'll know Monday.

Adk Mike
06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I've got a new one on the bench I only cast with it once. No grease groves exposed.

excess650
06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I've got a new one on the bench I only cast with it once. No grease groves exposed.

So how is it for size from cavity to cavity, and is it round? They have a mold that intrigues me, but I don't want to be disappointed.

I just got my Saeco 301 this week, and its better than could be expected.

dominicfortune00
06-12-2010, 11:07 PM
IIRC, what they did was remove the tapered section and make the front of the boolit the same size as the rear part, ogive excepted.

There should be a thread from earlier this year about the changes to the 311644.

mrbill2
06-13-2010, 10:22 AM
The mold I have still has the tapered section without the lube groves up front. Is it round, no and does it cast small on the nose,yes. When you buy the mold you might want to stop a Ace Hardware for some aluminum heat duct tape.

Doc Highwall
06-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I have two of them with the lube grooves on the nose and the nose comes out at .299" on both of them. Later this year I plan on making a lap to bring the nose up to .3005"-.301".

wallenba
06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
I got my 311644 from Midsouth today....bummed. I wanted the one with the tapered nose and lube grooves up front. The one I got is straight with no lube grooves in the nose. I expected to get the one I wanted as Lyman still shows it and describes it's special purpose on their own website. They need to get their act together. This same thing happened with the 454190, at least that one I could still put to use. This one in my .308 would put the base well down inside the case with the crimp midbody of the boolit. Just waiting for return authorization.:-x

mrbill2
06-20-2010, 07:32 PM
For the past couple of weeks I have been working at getting things moved into the new home. I still have lots to do but yesterday I desided to take a brake and do some shooting. I had bought some new lube (Voo Doo Red ) made by Jeff Bowles and thought I'd give it a try. The first shot out of the clean barrel was at 11 oclock and the next seven all found the same hole. I shot four more groups and all were under 2 inches with two under 1.5 inches.
Cleaning the barrel could not be easier, two wet patches then two more dry and your clean.
Groups was shot with Lyman 311644 without the lube groves up front over 21 grs. IMR4227 at 100 yds. Rifle is Rem. SPS Varmit in 308
I'll be buying more of this lube, you can bet.
You can order Jeff's lube at (voodoo-lube.com) I'm glad I did !!
Mr. Bill2

Suo Gan
06-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Yup, they changed Ed Schmitt's design on the -644 as well as its smaller caliber iterations. This happened sometime after 1999, as mine had them and had a [packing] slip indicating its date of manufacture.

Sometime after 2001, as indicated by the packing slip with mine.