PDA

View Full Version : Hoch molds

Jack Stanley
08-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I saw a Hoch nose pour mold the other day . Looked rather well built even if the nose hole was a little small . Does anybody still use these expensive looking things anymore ?

Jack

klausg
08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Jack- Midway carries them & they are spendy; too rich for this kid's blood. IIRC Mike Venturino, mentions one in an article in a semi-recent Handloader, might've been Rifle, in either 40 or 44 caliber .

-Klaus

Dale53
08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
I have a Hoch nose pour for my Schuetzen bench rifle. It is a superb mould and worth the money. These are truly custom moulds made to cast a bullet from a specific alloy that will NOT require sizing. I know several people who have a rifle that shoots 1/2 minute groups at 200 yards with a plain base cast bullet from such a mould (that's one inch groups at 200 yards).

Dale53

Swagerman
08-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I've had a two cavity Hoch mould that has different size & weight cast holes.

It's a .44 caliber, and the sprue holes are quite large and easy to pour.

One cavity is 180 grain and the other is 145 grain. They are made after the LBT style of elongated flat nose bullets with one grease groove on each bullet cast.

It is also the best quality mould I own.

Jim

Bent Ramrod
08-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I had Hoch build me a Hudson-type .25 caliber mold back in the '70's. The bullet dimensions were exactly those which I had penciled onto the sketch of the bullet I'd sent him. Very well and very carefully made. The sprue hole was a little smaller than the normal, but the meplat on the bullet was small, too, so it was probably necessary.

Since then, I've bought three other Hoch molds used at gun shows. One I actually have a gun for, the other two just on general principle.

Char-Gar
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I have three Hoch molds and they are all very good. They are:

1) 3 hole clone of lyman 453423
2) 280 plain base multi band that cast .383 for my 38-55 Sharps Borchards
3) 350 gas check that cast .461. Pretty much good old 330 Gould, but a solid with a gas check.

mazo kid
08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
My first experience with a Hoch mould was when I bought a used Shiloh Sharps and bought the mould along with the rifle. I was very pleased with the boolits cast, altho the mould takes a bit longer to heat up than other makes. I then ordered one for my 25-25 Rem. Hepburn and waited a year for it. I think my order kinda got lost for a while as I did get confirmation of payment. It was exactly what I ordered, however. My next three Hoch purchases were all used moulds from fleabay or possibly GunBroker or AuctionArms. Very well built moulds. Emery