PDA

View Full Version : Lead Sizing Issues

roadwarrior307
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I have about 4 feet of 1/4 inch lead wire that is just a hair too big to fit into the copper tubing I have. Does anyone know how to size this lead wire, or what the best way to handle the situation is? If I can get this to work, I will be able to make my own .308 caliber bullets.

sagacious
06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I hope you can get more than 4' of lead wire.

If it's only a small amount oversize, you can make a pull-through die to size it down to the required diam. You can make it from mild steel or heat treat, the exact material is not critical. Make the lead-in generous, polish the opening well, and use your swage lube to lube the wire. Clamp the die in your bench vice, file/cut down the end of the wire so it passes through the die, and pull it through in one smooth shot using a pair a pliers. You may need to make a holder for the coil of 1/4" wire, and to guide the lead into the die straight. Worked for me when I had some off-size lead wire. Good luck.

deltaenterprizes
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
You can cut short pieces and roll it between two pieces of smooth steel plate or ream short pieces copper tubing.
What size is the tubing you are using? I have a .308 die coming and will be looking for a source of cheap jackets.