PDA

View Full Version : Need help sorting through WWs

bennadatto
06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
All,

I am just getting into casting, and need some help from the experts! I've got my forst 100# of wws. I don't want to mess up my alloy, so how can I tell the difference between Zinc WWs and Lead WWs?

I read somewhere that lead WWs will look like a single piece where as Zinc WWs will look like multiple pieces. I also read about using a flathead screwdriver to scratch the WWs. If they scratch they're lead if not they're Zinc. Any validity to these simple tests?

Also, I there is a slew of stick on lead WWs in the batch. Are these ok to use?

Any help would be appreciated!!

thx997303
06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Stick on WW are usually sorted out because they are usually softer than clip on WW.

Zinc wheelweights have the steel clip riveted to them.

I usually use a pair of dikes to cut each WW. If they don't, or are difficult to cut, they are culled.

mac1911
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
newbie here also.....so far I have sorted about 300lbs of WWs. You will lean quick to spot most of the zinc and steel.
Newer zinc and steel weights are marked Zn or Fe.
Anything with rivots is not lead as far as I know.
I have some Zinc wheel weights that are marked Zn and the steel clip looks pressed in not molded in?????
You will over time be able to spot the non lead weights quickly. If I have any doubters I toss them with the other non lead weights.

I also watch my heat when smelting and bring the temp up slowly. Smelting set up can only get up to a touch under 800' but this is long after the lead is melted and sitting on the heat for a while. So the ones I miss float. I must say the float well.

I get to sort another 100 or so lbs soon. The bucket turned over in my truck. Nicely spread out for sorting. It is also raining like hell so they will be clean to boot.

Recently the police went buy and must have seen me going behind my shed with the resporator on, possible seen the smoke. He came for a look see. Basically he was seeing if I was makeing crystal meth. Had no interest in my doings once he saw I was making fishing weghts.

xr650
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
This is a good thread on stickie ons.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78931

44fanatic
06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Watch the note on the clips being riveted on...not all zinc weights have clips riveted on. Had plenty float to the top when smelting. Keep the temp around 650 and it wont be a problem.

fryboy
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
keep the temp low to catch any u mite of missed,the side cutter tricks works well for those of question dropping them also can tell ( zinc is much much harder and has a higher pitched ring to it ) if all else fails just send them to me and i'll send back all the bad ones so u know what to look for ;) all joking aside lead is nice n malleble zinc is not

cajun shooter
06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Don't mix your clip on weights with the stick on weights. You will not be able to keep a constant alloy mix with doing it that way. Most people have a seperate bucket for each. The stick on weights are almost pure lead. Smelt them into seperate bars.This way you can weigh out like 20 lbs and add 1 lb of tin and have a known alloy of 20-1 or 30-1. Straight clip on weights in my area are around a bhn of 9.5 to 10 which is fine for plinking or cowboy shooting. You really need to read the articles by Glenn Fryxell at the LASC in the sticky section. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is also a good book to read and have. It is full of information that you will go back to several times. I also use a magnet on a long rod and it will show you the steel weights real quick. Remember that the clip is magnetic and this is not a sign of a bad weight . Keep your heat at 700 or so and the zinc weights will float on top of the mix and can be picked out real easy.

Hardcast416taylor
06-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Zinc weights will have zn on the clip, iron weights will have fe on the clip. After I have sorted out those rubber stick on junk and the broken valve cores I will use a 6" long 1" dia. magnet to help get the iron weights out. I also use this same magnet to skim the clips off the smelted lead. I wipe the clips off with a leather glove into a pail or box then skim the dross with a sieve spoon. I use end nippers for horses feet to test the weights to be lead or other materials. Robert

runfiverun
06-10-2010, 06:04 PM
and if you miss one or two it ain't the end of the world.

35isit
06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I just had a bucket of wheel weights given to me. While seperating them I found several zinc weights that weren't marked. I use a pair of linemans pliers to test with. The pliers would barely dent these. As stated above. I keep the heat down on my smelter as low as possible. The non lead weights I miss will float to the top and I can dip them out.