PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant want-a-be

2shot
06-10-2010, 09:14 AM
OK guy's and gal's I have a chance to look over a bunch of Mosin Nagants but I know nothing about them. I have done some searching here on the Cast Boolits forum and have found lots of info for loading and shooting but nothing about which models are better than others. Thing is not knowing anything about them or what models they are I could use your help.

Besides a good bore and proper function are some models are better than others? I have read about 91/30's, M-44's and M-38's ,round and hex recievers, is there one model that would be better or more accurate than the rest or are they all pretty much the same?

2shot

autofix4u
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
One of each..........
I started out with a M44, but if i had it to do over again I would get any other model, The bayonet gets in the way for most shooting. All of my M44s now have bayos removed and stored.
The 91\30s tend to be more accurate than the carbines. Or get a "91\59 if you can.

Lead Fred
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
If I were to buy one, Id look for a Finnish remade sniper.
Id retap it, mount a PE scope on it.
They are of fine quality. Im not a collector, just a shooter.

KCSO
06-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Sako Finnish, Other Finnish, Remington, Russian about that order. Rifle over Carbine if you are shooting full house loads.

higgins
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't think you could go wrong with a Finnish M39. If you have a choice, manufacturer isn't critical, just get the one with the best bore and crown. Look at 7.62X54r.net for a rundown of various models and markings.

wallenba
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
If you can find one, those made in the US under contract with Remington and Westinghouse are thought to be best. At the height of WWII those being rushed out of production might be of lower quality. I recently picked up a Model 38 carbine made in 1942 from the Izhevsk arsenal, it looks to be in very good condition. I'm still cleaning out the dried cosmolene from the barrel, have not fired it yet. Many have damaged crowns from steel cleaning rods. Others have been re-arsenaled by the Soviets before being put in storage and have counter-bored crowns to correct that. lots of history here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin%E2%80%93Nagant

gunboards.com has a Mosin-Nagant section

EMC45
06-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I have a New England Westinghouse M91. It is a shooter.

2shot
06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
The posted web sites on the Mosin Nagant and the 7.62x54R were very informative, thanks guys!

2shot

2shot
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
One more thing, when it rains it pours! I just got my Cabela's flyer in the mail today and I see that they are once again having a sale (?) on Mosin Nagant's for $99. Has anybody looked at these MN's from Cabela's? I don't know the importer or what type they are but it just may be worth a drive to look at a few of them. Anybody out there buy one of these a few months ago when Cabela's had them on sale last time ?
2shot

Freightman
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Big 5 Had them a week back for $99 they were 91/30's and the importer was Century

Multigunner
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
One thing to look out for with the older long rifles is damage to the rifling mid bore due to springing of the steel cleaning rod againt the lands were these rifles were swabbed from the muzzle. The jag contacting the breechface caused the rod to twang in the center.

I've run across one with this damage, a pre WW1 hex receiver that was in otherwise good shape.

I'd first heard of this in the American Rifleman, where they said it was most commly found in rifles used by Russia, Japan, and China pre WW1.
They had not yet learned to keep a close eye on how their troops cleaned the rifles, and many were issued to poorly trained conscripts.
The Japanese rifles with this bore damage may have been the rifles sold to Russia, and received the damage while in Russian service. I'd think the Japanese were more professional about cleaning and discipline than the Russians in that era.

Phat Man Mike
06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
we have 5 around here! the 91/30 is the best shooter hands down! the 44 get's the most looks at the range though!:holysheep

Dark Helmet
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
get yer Finn here http://www.gunsnammo.com/

3006guns
06-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Just a note........AIM surplus has the 91/30 for $79.95, $10 more for hand select. I bought two, both hand select, and the guns are gorgeous! Bore condition is everything with me so I made that point to the sales guy on the phone. Both bores are excellent and NO counterbore, although they do slug large at .314. Both guns came with the accesory kits including bayonets.

I like the old Russian musket. Long, slender and almost graceful in appearance with a rugged, proven action. If there's anything I object to, it's that blasted stubby little bolt handle. Another 1/2" would give the shooter greater leverage with stubborn ammunition.

I have a Finn M28 also and be forwarned.......many of the Finn rifle bores measure an honest .308.........easy to find j word bullets, but stuffing a .311 through it raises pressures a bit.