PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off case size lube with washing

NuJudge
06-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I load a lot of Berdan brass, and cleaning brass in a tumbler results in little bits of polishing media crammed into the tiny Berdan flash holes. The caliber I reload Berdan primed brass most in, is 7.5x55, which requires full length sizing, so a good quality lubricant such as Imperial wax or Lanolin is necessary.

Does anyone clean brass by water washing, and if so with what detergent?

Does anyone remove case sizing lube by water washing, and if so what lubricant and what detergent?

Charlie Sometimes
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Lately, I have been using Simple Green- uncut or slightly thinned. Takes off most all of the carbon, and definitely gets the sizing lube. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax also. I rinse after soaking, and blow cases off with compressed air, and then dry in the sun or with a hair dryer in the winter until hot to touch so water inside case evaporates completely.

Using plain detergent and water- I would pick a good quality dish washing liquid. That should be strong enough to remove anything on cases. To remove the carbon near completely, I use ReNew Wheel Cleaner from Dollar General stores. Soak and stir for 2 to 5 minutes depending on cleanliness, then rinse and dry.
Someone also suggested using a solution of vinegar and Cascade (dish detergent) with hot water and soak while stirring by hand, then rinsing. I haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps.

fgd135
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I wash resized cases in hot water and Simple Green detergent. I use maybe a capful of detergent per gallon of water, agitate the plastic washtub by hand for a minute or so, and then rinse twice with hot water. Cases are completley free of case lubes like lanolin or Lee case lube afterwards.
I would think any dish detergent that lacks ammonia as a component would be appropriate to use for this purpose.
After rinsing, I often use a citric acid bath on the cases to brighten them up instead of tumbling; I use a teaspoon of powdered citric acid, the stuff used for home canning, in a gallon of water. I dump in the clean cases, agitate them for about 15-30 seconds, then immediately rinse them in fresh water. Cases look like new.
Cheers!

BCB
06-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I put the cases in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid with enought water to cover them and be able to shake them. I put a couple of pumps of that hand cleaner that smells like oranges. GoJo or something like that I believe it is called. Shake them and then rinse them several times...

I do dry them in the oven to be sure all of the water is removed from the inside of the case...

If they are not needed immediately, I put the oven of about 220 to 250 degrees and let it on for 10-15 minutes and then turn it off and let the cases in there overnight...

A bit labor intensive and time comsuming, but I don't do volume reloading. That might require a different method OR a much larger container!!!

Good-luck...BCB

kbstenberg
06-10-2010, 05:59 AM
There is a thread that is rummimg now on citric acid an its ability to clean all residue either old or new. you should look it up. It a loooong thread but interesting.
Kevin

gerrycan
06-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I have found "shellite" lighter fluid to be a great success. Gerry

Kevin Rohrer
06-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Any grease cutting dish soap will work. I know that Dawn is the recommended one for getting all the **** off a car prior to putting a high quality polish on.

When I wash cases I use a mixture of hot water, Lestoil, and white vinegar. I then oven dry and tumble to get them bright and smooth.

After resizing I typically just tumble again to get the Imperial Sizing Wax off, but I will be experimenting with just wiping it off with a paper towel. My only concern is getting the dry case lube off the inside of the case neck. I will try using a nylon neck brush to scrub it out.

Charlie Sometimes
06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Tumbling will remove the case lube, but it clogs the media and shortens the life of it. That is why I started using the Simple Green wash before tumbling. Adds extra steps, but I can do other things while those are soaking or drying. You can wash the media (walnut hulls) too, but I just put it in old shot bags for use on the bench as sandbags.

I forgot to mention above- if you leave the cases in the Simple Green too long, they will turn a reddish purple color. Purely superficial though- tumbling will remove it is short order.

I think I will try the citric acid wash next- bound to be cheaper than the ReNew Wheel Cleaner, and more easily refreshed. A trip to the grocery store is now in order..........