PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a "Youth" .22 mag fed?

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm looking for a bolt .22lr rifle for my wife, and really need a youth sized gun, as she is kinda smallish . . . I though of getter her a regular one, and chopping the stock, but . . . then I'm worried that a long barrel and short stock may not balance well.

Or maybe a gun with a short barrel, that we could shorten the stock on?

I have not measured her yet, but the AK47 (which has a short stock) is too long for her!

I really want a bolt, and a removable mag . . . I'm in the process of getting an older Rem 511P, as I had a Rem 514 Youth as my first rifle, and loved it! I'd get one of those, but prefer more than single shot!

We are already registered for a Appleseed, and will need a few extra mags too.

[smilie=s:

rhead
06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I am going from memory here but U think that the NEF Handi rifle and Rossi both made a youth model in 22 mag. They are break action single shots. A TC Contender could also be found. For a repeater you may have to have a gunsmith shorten the barrel in order to maintain balance with a shorter stock. A new front sight can be installed or you could go with a scope.

Check foe state and local laws on barrel and overall length for rifles. Some are more stringent than the feds.

DLCTEX
06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I think he wants a rifle with removable magazine in 22 LR. A !0/22 with 18" barrel? Some aftermarket stocks are adjustable, but are of the AR-15 configuration.

hoosierlogger
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I have a Daisy Legacy model 2202 bolt action that has a 10 round removable Ruger style magazine. It has an adjustable butt stock that grows with the kid. They are kind of hard to come by, but if you find one. When the stock is all of the way extended it fits me fine. You might be able to find one on Gunbroker.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, I want a removable mag, and bolt action . . . I'm thinking I might just end up buying her a 514bc (boys carbine) or youth as it has a 19 1/2 inch barrel. 12 1/2 inches of pull. but would really prefer a repeater bolt.

I do have a 10/22, but it has a folding, but non-adjustable stock which is way too long for her.

The Daisy seems like it is unsupported in parts, and spare mags . . .

crabo
06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidshooting/youth-firearms.htm

Here's a bunch of choices

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-09-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidshooting/youth-firearms.htm

Here's a bunch of choices

Thanks!

I think I need to check out the CZ 452 Scout rifle, just might fit the bill! Even though it is not made in USA!

Rock
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I used a Mossberg M44 at my last Appleseed. Bolt action, WWII quality manufacturing and mag fed. It outshoots a factory 10/22.

woody1
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
You might check out the Remington Model 5.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/compact/rimfire/model-five-compact.aspx

Regards, Woody

hoosierlogger
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
The Daisy seems like it is unsupported in parts, and spare mags . . .

You are correct. Not many parts out there. There is really not alot that can happen to it. besides the stock breaking. I found 2 extra magazines new in the box at a gun shop in Michigan about 6 years ago and bought them both for $4.80 each. They looked like they had 15 years of dust on them.

Since the relatively low collector value of these guns, I plan on having the painted barrel and receiver stripped and powder coated pink for my daughters first gun.

Houndog
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I think I need to check out the CZ 452 Scout rifle, just might fit the bill! Even though it is not made in USA!

The CZ-452 is probably the best reasonably priced 22 on the market! I have a varminter model that I shoot 22 Benchrest hunter class with and it'll hold it's own against anything that's legal in that class! The trigger needs to be reworked, but everything else is top drawer in my opinion. I'll certainly take one over a present day Remington, Winchester, Savage or Ruger, and they are STEEL instead of plastic!

crabo
06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks!

That would be my choice.

rhead
06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
My bad!!! Read the OP cross eyed!!:???:

lylejb
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I know remington makes one, but I couldn't find anyplace that had it when I was looking to get one for my son:-?

http://remington.com/products/firearms/compact/rimfire/model-five-compact.aspx

MDC
06-10-2010, 06:10 AM
I have no experience with their rifles, but their CZ75B is a very fine 9mm.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their rifles.

Wayne Smith
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I have a Dasy and would be willing to sell it. Daisy will support it - I got a new barrel from them when I got it - no charge. I would guess that as long as Daisy is around they will support it. Mine uses Ruger 10/22 mags.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Wayne, Interesting that the rugers fit . . .

I'm already bidding on a CZ scout . . .

For all you rimfire people 45nut is doing a poll . . . check it out http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=85951

I also have a confession to make . . . in my first post I said that the AK was too long for her, but I was corrected, and it is just the right length, but I need to cut it down to put a recoil pad on it!

Wayne Smith
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Good luck bidding.