PDA

View Full Version : punch set for AR-15

Firebricker
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm getting ready to order a set of punches to assemble an AR lower but wanted to get some advise here first. I'm looking at a set from Brownells made of steel.

What I'm wondering is should I get brass or steel or both ? Roll pin punches or standard or both ? The set I looked at will get it done but figured it was a good idea to check with you guy's that work on AR's a lot.

Thank's in advance FB

StarMetal
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=925277

82nd airborne
06-12-2010, 11:27 AM
i use brass for all of the pins that are not roll pins. for the roll pins i use a finnishing nail. sounds dumb i know, but it is cheap and the point fits inside the pin, which wont allow you to mar the reciever. i always tape around the holes before starting to protect the finnish of the reciever.

Shiloh
06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I have both. Brass punches are nice when the threat of marring is present

My go to set is a collection of nails that have the points removed. Must be a dozen different sizes in there.

Shiloh

Adam10mm
06-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Been building ARs for a few years as an FFL. Have a set of roll pin punches and vice grips. For the trigger guard and bolt release pins, I start them with the punch and then put them in place with the vice grips wrapped in electrical tape. Much faster.

Firebricker
06-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks guy's I apreciate the advise. I looked at the Midway set but wound ordering a set of pin punches from Brownell's since I had a few thing's to order there anyway. I have'nt done my first AR build yet still gathering parts.

Lower's on the way and I have a LPK now taking my time shopping for uppers. Going for a 16"
carbine with pre ban barrel .375 the whole length. FB

82nd airborne
06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
It's really pretty simple. if you have messed with any other firearms internals much you will be able to visualize how it goes together by seeing the parts laid out. i doubt youll have any trouble, and man it will be fun to shoot when its done! i would go with a slab side upper tho, as opposed to a standartd upper that has a forward assist and brass defflector. two reasons. 1-brass deflectors cana and will damage brass wich isnt good if you reload. 2-if your bolt doesnt close, you shouldnt be smashing it forward with the forward assist. im sure you wouldnt with a bolt gun, no? if the bolt doesnt close youre better off opening it up and finding what the problem is than compounding it. another reason the slab sides are better is that if you are building the upper too, then you wont have to buy the forward assist assembly. it also alows for a side charge operating system with no extra cost if you have access to a lathe and mill, even a mini. in my humble oppinion, which is no better than anyone elses, most likely worse, the side charge is much supperior to a non fixed chargeing handle. once again, the previous sentance is merely my oppinion, but in my defense, i have used the ar system on a professionaly level, in adverse conditions. never once did i need the forward assist.....472 days consecutive in combat, and a few more here and there, not once did i push that button, because i cleaned it every time i had down time. sorry to ramble, i hope this helps firebricker.
aaron