PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Calculator Spreadsheet

don45
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Want an easier way to brew up your new alloy?
Here's an openoffice/excel spreadsheet which makes it easy.
Just enter the pounds or ounces of the metal you're adding in the yellow area, and the resulting alloy mix will show in the red area on the right.
You can add new source metals by inserting a new blank line, copying one of the other complete lines and then editing the values as needed. The source metals are shown on the left in blue.
The current example shows brewing up Lyman#2 from SAM's alloy I just purchased.
Let me know how it works.

Don

Updated to fix some errors, protected cells (with blank password) and added BHN calculation.

Doc_Stihl
06-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice job on a great calc. THANKS!

lwknight
06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I tooled around and found that some of the cells are not linked.
Some on the pound side do nothing except the sams alloy cell.
And some f the oz side don't work.
I do like the format and the pounds / oz options though

garandsrus
06-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Don,

I like the simplicity of your spreadsheet...

As was mentioned, some of the formulas don't include all the cells. Adding a new alloy is more difficult than just adding a new line as you mentioned. The formulas at the bottom of the spreadsheet won't include the new line without editing the formulas. You might be able to name the cells so that any new lines get automatically included.

Another problem is that you are mixing percentages in some cells and numbers in other cells. This will throw off your calculations. To see this in action, add 1 lb of #2 alloy at the bottom of the spreadsheet and look at the overall results.

There are several other alloy spreadsheets available on this site, so you might want to look at them for ideas also. The formula to compute hardness is included in a spreadsheet that I originally wrote that was improved by another member.

John

don45
06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I made a last minute change and probably broke something.
I'll make a pass at correcting it and post a new version.

In the past I have been able to add a new source metal by 1) inserting a new row below an existing source metal row, 2) cut an existing row all the way accross, and 3) past it into the new blank row just created. This should create all the correct formulas across. You should then be able to edit the source name and tin and antimony content. All the rest are formulas, including the lead content.

Don

don45
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Here's a corrected version with all the cells properly connected (I think!).

Thanks for the feedback!

lwknight
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I had to change the format in row 17 to % and make the No.2 5% and 5% it was 0 and 0 on tin/antimony.
You figured out a simple way to automatically make the percentages work out. Mine was manual.
All in all I like it. I is a similar one and although its dirt simple , some people find a way to make it difficult.
Some of them are more elaborate , which I don't like so much. Simple is better i my book.

Here is the one I made. Its a bit simpler and a few less features.
Click Here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17869&d=1260496796)

Maybe I can rewrite my deal and incorperate some of your work as well.

One difference I saw was that I did not use the % format but wrote the formulas to automatically compensate. Also I should have labeled the colums better.