PDA

View Full Version : A Few Herter's #3 Press Questions

Kevin Rohrer
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I acquired a Super 3 press awhile back and just cleaned it up and mounted it on my bench for use. As such, I have a couple questions:

1. Was there ever a spent primer cup for the press? If not, does anyone make one that fits?

2. The handle droops and I have it secured in the up position with a bungy cord. Was there ever an attachment to keep it up? I see a small hole in the left side of the press and am wondering if something connected from it to the handle. Thanx in advance.

Pressman
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Yes and yes. Herter's offered a small metal cup type gadget that hung off the primer arm bolt. There is a learning curve, but with some thought, and a lot of patience you can capture 90% of the primers. See picture below.

It appears you have the later version, post 1962, press. There was a groove cut around the ram for a ball bearing to fit into. A set screw, spring and ball bearing would fit into the hole on the left side. It worked, sort of. That handle is heavy and a slight bump would drop it, fast.

Your bunge cord idea woks as good as any, I fasioned a piece of #9 wire to wrap around the handle and the primer arm. It works for me.

Ken

smokemjoe
06-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I drilled a 3/8 hole in a angle in the bottom of the ram and the primers fall out the bottom.Done this back in the 60s, I have a O ring out of a John Deere cly. sleeve that I hold my handle up with. I have seen them with a hole drilled in the top of the fram to put your allen wrench in also.

Kevin Rohrer
06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
When I run the ram all the way down, it stops on the two hex set screws that keep the universal shell holder in. I can't seem to be able to screw the hex screws in far enough to allow the ram to go any further. Is this normal?:confused:

3006guns
06-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Either someone replaced the screws or the shell holder isn't positioned correctly.

The set screws should be flush with, or below the level of the ram. You could remove and file them shorter or just take one to the hardware store and find a shorter screw.

Leaving them out will batter both the screws and the press casting.