PDA

View Full Version : ww question

bigted
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
hello all, question i have is can i remove the alloys from the wheel weights to arrive with pure lead? i have a supply of ww but need to turn it into muzzeloader lead for my ml.

if this has been asked and answered...i opoligize and can someone lean me in the rite direction to learn about this cleaning process.

thanks in advance for your patience and understanding of a newby

44fanatic
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Have no idea on getting rid of the other metals in your WWs but I believe you should have a small percentage of stick on WWs if you are getting them used/scrap. The stick on weights should be good for making ML projectiles.

You may be able to trade your clip on WWs for either stickon, pure or range lead.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Trade or sell and Buy soft. That is what I do.

Sam :D

fryboy
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
if ur not running ur pot too hot u can take the slush from the top ( hi antimony ) if u run hot hot the tin will dross the top in that silver layer skim it before fluxing will take some but i doubt if u'll ever get it all leaving me to say go with the trade / sale

lwknight
06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
That slush is still mostly lead. The alloy does have a slushy state.
So you would be just tossing good WW alloy.

sagacious
06-10-2010, 12:59 AM
hello all, question i have is can i remove the alloys from the wheel weights to arrive with pure lead? i have a supply of ww but need to turn it into muzzeloader lead for my ml.
Bigted,
Unfortunately, you cannot skim off the top and get pure lead-- like one skims the cream off milk. There is no way to remove the antimony, tin, and arsenic component of the alloy and turn the alloy into pure lead, or even close to pure.

Save and melt the flexible soft stick-on weights for your ML, as those are mostly pure soft lead. Trade/sell the clip-on ww ingots for pure lead, as advised by others above. "Cleaning" the alloy involves removing oxides and foreign matter such as road grime, grit, etc. Cleaning (fluxing) does not refer to removing the alloy component from the lead.

Good luck, and good shooting.