PDA

View Full Version : JPW Substitute

Pirate69
06-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Here comes a question that shows just how new to this hobby I am. This question relates to 45-45-10 lube. Noteing that JPW is starting to be hard to find (well, that what I have read), what are good substitutes?

markinalpine
06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Here comes a question that shows just how new to this hobby I am. This question relates to 45-45-10 lube. Noteing that JPW is starting to be hard to find (well, that what I have read), what are good substitutes?

I'm sure you could find JPW in your area. I live in a small, west Texas town, and our local hardware store and grocery stores carry it. There is another product called Tre-Wax (or something like that) that would work.

According to the Johnsons Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for JPW, it consists of (all %s by weight) 75-85% Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon Solvent (Mineral Spirits), 10-30% Paraffinic Wax, and 5-10% Carnauba Wax.

You could make your own using the above approximations. I did one time just to see, but I used turpentine instead of Mineral Spirits because I had it and like the smell better. Worked OK, but it's a lot of bother.

Now I have to admit to being somewhat of a heretic, and I don't follow lube formulae as if they are some sort of sacred scripture, deviation from which will condemn you to eternal fire. If the Mountain Men and Buffalo Hunters could get by with rendered deer fat and beeswax, and I'm sure they weren't bothering with weighing their ingredients with scales, why worry?

Good luck,
Mark :coffeecom

fryboy
06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
i've seen tre-wax, minwax and a few misc. ones ..pretty sure that most are the same sort of formulation give or take a few ounces , u can buy JPW on the web .... per the original formula cooking out/off the solvents if i attempted to make some i think i'd leave that out .....

thx997303
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
You know, I never bothered cooking off the solvents.

Seems like I would be removing something in order to just put it back in.