PDA

View Full Version : loading a lube-sizer

lunicy
06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
After many years of pan lubing, I have finally got a lube-sizer.

Quick question, probably a no-brainer:
I make my own lube,
Is there any reason why I cant pour my warm (liquid) lube into the lube-sizer and let it cool/harden? as opposed to using lube sticks?

454PB
06-08-2010, 10:01 PM
None at all.

Just be careful you don't overfill. With Lyman/RCBS types it's just an overflow problem and you'll have to dig out enough to have room for the pressure nut. On a Star, it will squirt out the overflow hole.....all over the walls and windows.

HeavyMetal
06-08-2010, 10:24 PM
As stated be careful how much you put in and it should work fine!

geargnasher
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Fill in several stages, allowing it to cool/solidify as you go. You will notice the center of the lube column (between the sides of the reservoir and the bolt) shrinks drastically forming an air pocket in the lube, and this will cause you headaches later with sudden surges of lube through the die underneath the boolit requiring you to stop and clean. Trapped air also wreaks havoc with lube pressure consistency.

Gear

mtgrs737
06-10-2010, 12:30 AM
454PB is right, on a Star if you overfill or don't wait until the lube is cool and solid when you install the lube plunger it will squirt out the overflow hole in the back of the machine. Ask me how I know! LOL! What a mess it makes!

Changeling
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Fill in several stages, allowing it to cool/solidify as you go. You will notice the center of the lube column (between the sides of the reservoir and the bolt) shrinks drastically forming an air pocket in the lube, and this will cause you headaches later with sudden surges of lube through the die underneath the boolit requiring you to stop and clean. Trapped air also wreaks havoc with lube pressure consistency.

Gear

Gear when you say this are you talking just about the "Star" or the RCBS and Lyman sizers also?

geargnasher
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I was referring specifically to the Lyman/RCBS style sizers, but the same shrinkage/air pocket issue exists with all reservoirs.

Gear

leadman
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I use a heat gun to melt the lube in a glass measuring cup with the little pouring spout on it.
This lets me pour it into the RCBS luber easily and I don't usually get air pockets.

Pitmaster
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
One tip to make sure you don't overfill a lube sizer is use a large plastic syringe filled with the amount to fill the reservoir.

bigboredad
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
pitmaster
that sound like a great idea but here would one find such a syringe?

Changeling
06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
pitmaster

Helga, LOL

Longrange
06-11-2010, 05:48 PM
pitmaster

Turkey Baster works for me..

bigboredad
06-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Longrange
thanks for the idea I have a couple of those around from pan lubing I will give that a try

blikseme300
06-20-2010, 10:06 AM
454PB is right, on a Star if you overfill or don't wait until the lube is cool and solid when you install the lube plunger it will squirt out the overflow hole in the back of the machine. Ask me how I know! LOL! What a mess it makes!

Had this happen to me as well - Still have red spots on some things in my work shop.:groner:

I use large syringes I got from Grainger - they were a few bucks for a bag of 10. I dip the syringe into cold water after squirting in the molten lube. This prevents it from deforming.

It is important to do the refill after a sizing session so as to let the molten lube cool off.

Bliksem

fryboy
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
pitmaster

or a veterinarian store ..tractor supply has them as well, any decent farm supply should as well

miestro_jerry
06-20-2010, 12:41 PM
I use the basting syringe that they sell at the Dollar Stores, they work well, some time I use my small candle wax pitcher.

If you check the Cast Bullet Association forum, you can see how many people produce their sticks of lube, including myself.

Jerry