PDA

View Full Version : Groovy Black Powder Lube

Manyirons
08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Been shootin this stuff, its sold under GATOFEO NUMBER 1 LUBE on tha BIGIRON Barrel Works Website.

Itsa 19th century brit formula, worked in hottest an coldest climates tha brits were in.

BigIron parantly addsa little somethin extra, in my rifles, shotguns an revolvers frontstuffer alla them tha rifled guns leava nice lube star at tha muzzle and tha smoothies shoot clean.

Been good fer me so's i'm passin it on!

http://www.bigironbarrels.com/products.html

John Boy
08-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Manyirons, if I am not mistaken here is the recipe for the lube that Gatofeo is selling for big bucks [smilie=1:that he got it from an old American Rifleman magazine:
10 pounds paraffin (40%)
10 pounds tallow (40%)
5 pounds beeswax (20%)

He touted it back some time on a BP forum saying it was the best lube since sliced bread

Cut your recipe down proportionately. They say that mutton tallow is best but beef tallow works just fine

Manyirons
08-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Manyirons, if I am not mistaken here is the recipe for the lube that Gatofeo is selling for big bucks [smilie=1:that he got it from an old American Rifleman magazine:
10 pounds paraffin (40%)
10 pounds tallow (40%)
5 pounds beeswax (20%)

He touted it back some time on a BP forum saying it was the best lube since sliced bread

Cut your recipe down proportionately. They say that mutton tallow is best but beef tallow works just fine

Aint mine, an it aint quite tha same an BEEF tallow DONT work as well. AN it DO got another ingredient an no, i DONT knowhat it is. I uses it an it works betterin anythin else ive used, an thas about everthin. An that recipe up there needs more beeswax. (An Cowbell!) :)

An Gatofeos all right, hes been real help to lotta people.

John Boy
08-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Manyirons, pardon me if the reply stuck a stick in your hornet's nest. If you are willing to pay the price and it works for you in your rifle(s) ... that's all that counts.

You might want to let Gatofeo know that the recipe he believes to be an excellent lube is not satisfactory.

Here is his original post (full text) ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=450.0

Manyirons
08-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Manyirons, pardon me if the reply stuck a stick in your hornet's nest. If you are willing to pay the price and it works for you in your rifle(s) ... that's all that counts.

You might want to let Gatofeo know that the recipe he believes to be an excellent lube is not satisfactory.

Here is his original post (full text) ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=450.0

Thats why its modified from that recipe above, tha BOSS at BIGIRON tested aroun twenty seperate mixes until he was satisfied. Tha GATOFEOS a courtesy.

HE wanted one that'd work in guns from his .50 ROOgers ta rebarreld Gibbs fer LONG range shootin. An that he did do.

Now i'll point out theys DIFFERIN recipes dependin on yer use. I uses black an pyro/H777 mostly and good fer me, no foulin usin tha wads an NICE lube star at tha muzzle.

BUT theys a differnt one fer smokeless and ya wanna specify.

An it AINT mine, so's nothin personal. I's jus a dumb hick shooter!

PatMarlin
08-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Howbout Bullshops Nasa?

Y'all tried that?

SharpsShooter
08-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Howbout Bullshops Nasa?

Y'all tried that?

It doesn't get any better than Bullshop's NASA. Everything else is just overpriced goop.

SS

HTRN
08-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Wow, $5.00 for the regular, $6.50 for the "advanced" a stick for Gatafeo's lube?

For that price, does he come and size them for you?:mrgreen:

HTRN

Manyirons
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Wow, $5.00 for the regular, $6.50 for the "advanced" a stick for Gatafeo's lube?

For that price, does he come and size them for you?:mrgreen:

HTRN

GATOFEO name ONLY er doncha read right? Wanta get owlly? Fer tha ADDIES he's makin about a buck a stick and DOES give bulk discount.

So there!

HTRN
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't care who makes it.

$6.50 a stick for lube is a ridiculous. The most expensive stick lube I know of is the RCBS handgun lube at $5.50, and that's overpriced.

He gives bulk discounts? Well, our own Lar45 makes a highly acclaimed lube(for less than a third the asking price of that lube to boot!). .357 Maximum has posted a recipe for good lube. Hell, I just posted a coupla links in the sales forum for those looking for bulk quantities of beeswax to make lube.

Meanwhile, for $6.50 a stick, this guy is selling a vintage NRA formula lube? Am I missing something here?

HTRN

Manyirons
08-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Ah unnerstand, ya donts read so well. AINT any old formula its got tha NAME as a courtesy.

But, itsa (Hah!) free country sos have yer opinion, ima gonna stick ta fact.

35remington
08-23-2006, 06:22 PM
At $6.50 a stick I'd have "secret" ingredients too. Gotta justify it somehow.

The proof, as always, is in the shooting, so if you know it way outshoots everything else in your guns who are we to say different?

The free market lets us choose whatever we want.