PDA

View Full Version : .50 Caliber molds

gitano
08-09-2006, 11:26 AM
I've spent the last couple of hours looking through the various sites here at Cast Boolits, hoping to find some info on .50 caliber molds. No luck so far. So, at the risk of getting told 'where to go', I thought I'd ask if there are, or have been, any group buys/designs for ".50 caliber" (something between .510" and .515") molds?

I have a .50-.348, and I'm looking for molds that throw bullets from 500 to 650 grains. I'm particularly interested in 'spitzer' types, as I use Lee's 459-500-3R in my Buffalo Classic and am quite satisfied with its performance. I see that Victory http://www.victorymolds.com/ has an interesting looking 650-grain mold, but the $165 +S&H is a little 'stiff' for my blood in light of Lee's prices. On the other hand, while Lee does offer two .50 caliber molds (515-450-F and 515-500-F), they apparently don't offer a 'spitzer-type' (similar to the 459-500-3R) in a .50 caliber. So...

1) Does anybody know of a ".50 caliber" mold available with the general characteristics I have described - 500 to 650 grains; "spitzer" type nose; .512"-ish in diameter?

2) Have there been any "group buys" or Cast Boolit designs for .50 caliber bullets?

Finally, any .50-348 (AKA .50 Alaskan) experiences would be interesting and appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

45 2.1
08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
No 50 caliber group buys were done. Go here for what your looking for:
http://www.neihandtools.com/catpages/mold_pg13.htm

HTRN
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Don't forget that Paul Jones has some 50 caliber molds (http://www.pauljonesmolds.com/50_caliber.htm)

Of course, he ain't cheap either.

HTRN

drinks
08-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Paul;
I think your best bet would be to wait until Mountain Molds gets back in production, then design your own on his software.
A single cavity aluminum mold is about $70 from him.
Don

6pt-sika
08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Paul;
I think your best bet would be to wait until Mountain Molds gets back in production, then design your own on his software.
Don

Paul I agree with Don ! I've been playing around with the software on Mountain Moulds website and come up with some intresting stuff . I had thoughts a couple months ago of getting a 50-110 and made a few different things I liked . However in the original loadings for the 50-110 they had a 293 grain HP and I can't find a custom maker that will make HP moulds . Other then that I think Mountain Moulds is the way to go :drinks:

georgeld
08-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Can anyone point me to a source for alum for mold blocks???

Had a fellow make a chamber reamer for me. Same idea should work for molds. But, only one or two cavity without a special vise to hold them in. What I have is not big enough for more than a two cavity. But, I'd sure like to give it a try.

Paul turns the design from rod on a lathe. Then mills exactly half of it away and stones the edge's.

For a chamber, just drill it out near as possible to size, then ream it with the cutter he made. I made a dandy resizing die with it and soon as the gun gets in, intend to cut a chamber and see how that works.

I haven't figured out how to fit a reamer inside the hole when the lands are larger. This chamber reamer is tapered so it just slips down the hole til the correct depth is reached. Anyone know the maching tricks that could share with me? I'd give it a try if it's possible.

kodiak1
08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
gitano email this guy Rick - kaltool@mts.net
He is from Winnipeg does good work and can build you anythig the only thing I don't know is his prices. Have seen him advertising adjustable moulds in 40, 45, 50 Cal. Good Luck.
Ken.

gitano
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I just realized that I never responded to this thread that I started. Very rude on my part. My sincere apologies!

To all of you that responded, I did read the thread and I did 'go to' the places suggested. Drinks, is a friend of mine, and I kinda let him 'guide' me when it comes to cast bullets. What I don't know about bullet casting would fill volumes.

On topic, I have resolved my issues of getting bullets for the .50 by going to swaged bullets of my own construction, and buying from Northwest Custom Projectiles.

Again, my sincere apologies for not replying to your generous assistance.

Paul

PS - The primary reason I didn't respond - and I'm not making excuses here - is that I do not get automatic notices from Cast Boolits regarding the threads to which I am subscribed when there is a response. If I ask the same question at several forums, the ones that tell me there are responses get my attention. Again, I'm not making excuses or casting aspersions, just making a suggestion/observation. Maybe it's 'operator error' on my part.

Paul

charger 1
03-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Paul;
Don

And rolling he is, with a head of steam:Fire: