PDA

View Full Version : Can i shoot pure lead

Chatteris
06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a pretty steady source of lead flashing from my local college where my dad works so its free. Yet over here in the UK all the tyre shops near me are not using the lead wheel weights and i cannot find anything to mix the flashing with. I am wondering if it is ok to shoot the flashing which i believe is pure lead through a 44 mag at around 950-1100 fps. My mould is .430 and is my bore is a pretty perfect .429.

So a few questions really, do you guys think that it will be ok to shoot the flashing, or is it a try it and see scenario. If it is a definate no then is there anyone on here from the UK that knows anywhere to get a decent alloy to mix with the lead.

Thankyou in advance.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
ADD Tin.

Sam :D

BABore
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
You sure can. I do it all the time with my 357 mag. Using my 358-158 (Hornady clone), I cast them from pure and lube them with a thinned coat of Lee liquid alox and follow with a dusting of motor mica when the alox dries. I thin the Lee lube, 50/50 with mineral spirits. I load them over 5.0 to 5.5 grains of WW231 and use a CCI 500 primer. In my 8 3/8 S&W 686 this load is just over 1,000 fps. Twenty-five yard accuracy is in the 1/2 to 5/8" range and they're good out to well past 300 yards. Several friends shoot the same load with equal accuracy. I also shoot pure in the 22 Hornet and 30-30 with low end loads. It also does quite well paper patched at even higher velocities.

fryboy
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
i tend to believe both answers , proper sizing of course is instrumental as is some kind of lube , u should be able to find tin in some form tho ,old bashed up pewter if nothing else , even some belt buckles are made from pewter ( like all those gaudy ones folks give me cuz it says hunting or fishing on it lolz ) back at the birth of the 44 mag u have to remember that the alloy elmer used was 16- 1 lead/tin, 25-1 makes a mean hollow point for my 45 !!! i've used old lead pipes ( straight ) with good result for low velocity stuff ,cant say that they are pure lead as the lee tester shows about 8 bhn but that is soft ,the joint on ur vent should add a lil tin to the mix anyways to help with fillout

fredj338
06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
i tend to believe both answers , proper sizing of course is instrumental as is some kind of lube , u should be able to find tin in some form tho ,old bashed up pewter if nothing else , even some belt buckles are made from pewter ( like all those gaudy ones folks give me cuz it says hunting or fishing on it lolz ) back at the birth of the 44 mag u have to remember that the alloy elmer used was 16- 1 lead/tin, 25-1 makes a mean hollow point for my 45 !!! i've used old lead pipes ( straight ) with good result for low velocity stuff ,cant say that they are pure lead as the lee tester shows about 8 bhn but that is soft ,the joint on ur vent should add a lil tin to the mix anyways to help with fillout
Agree, I say maybe. Bore condition & bulelt fit, good lube, yo ucan get to 1000fps w/ pure lead. The flashing may not be pure anyway, there could be some tin already added. I would think they have lead free solder in the local stores there? It's mostly tin. I run 25-1 LHP @ 1200fps+ w/ good results.

Chatteris
06-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i can get lead free solder (only cost being a prohibiting factor). I think from BABore's post it can be accomplished with pure yet i will add some tin to aid fill out. Will have to pick up some solder on the morrow and get casting! Being from the UK i cannot go into my garden and shoot and then let know how it goes so you will have to wait to hear my good news/horror story.

BABore
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I got a good buddy over in the UK. When he was working in the States, he would come over and keep me company when I was brewing beer. We were chewing the fat while I was stirring the brewpot when I calmly walked over to the gun rack and grabbed the rifle:coffee:, eased open the slider, and blasted a carrot theiving rabbit out in the garden. [smilie=w:I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Even muttered the queen's name a few times.:veryconfu I haven't seen him in many years, but I have a real nice beer engine that he sent me to remember him by.

fryboy
06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
i see pewter pieces for cheap on evil bay ( cheaper than what solder cost anyways )

fredj338
06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
i see pewter pieces for cheap on evil bay ( cheaper than what solder cost anyways )

But like many things on E-bay, what are you really buying?

Chatteris
06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah that is my main problem, i am new to this and i wouldn't be confident enough to spend my money on something because i do not have the ability to identify if it is pewter or just coated.

skeettx
06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello
Here are some choices,
Soldier
Foundry metal (use to print newspapers, visit old facilities)
Lynotype
Lead/Tin/Antimony wheel weights
Tin from Toothpaste tubes
Bullets from pistol range mixed with your lead
Lead shot has antimony, mix with your lead
Any of these sources available to you?

Are these folks near you?

http://www.upmystreet.com/findmynearest/b2b/scrap-metal-dealers-listings-in-uk.html

Mike

fryboy
06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
this one i'm pretty sure is umm legit ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-4-ROYAL-HOLLAND-Pewter-Creamer-small-Pitcher-/280515537255?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4150076967#ht_614wt_938

but for $1.85 and the fact that the thing mite weigh ummmm 8 oz. .... it does help if u can get several cheap pieces from the same buyer or shipping cost eat ya up and some folks wont like to hear just smash it flat and put it in a envelope lolz btw ? that one is a known name ,there are others ....( these are all ending real soon so ....)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crescent-PEWTER-Sugar-Creamer-1920s-1940s-/270589980362?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f006b6eca#ht_1132wt_704

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Pairpoint-pewter-creamer-/140413061630?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item20b14549fe#ht_600wt_930

these will be around a minute .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/KDM-Royal-Holland-Pewter-Creamer-Pitcher-/320543365160?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa1df9828#ht_500wt_947

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Metawa-Holland-Pewter-Coffee-Pot-Creamer-Sugar-/330439527686?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cefbb0d06#ht_4682wt_754

http://cgi.ebay.com/15pcs-PEWTER-CUPS-CREAMER-PITCHER-GRAVY-BOWL-etc-/170497038488?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b26a5898#ht_500wt_947

a lil research is always prudent ,yes one can get got so to speak but one can also hedge his luck ( or throw it to the wind [shrugz] i like to melt each item i find individually ,best buy yet ? gaudy octagon newer soap dispenser ( pump ) melted the body , the pump, the spout and even the collar separately it was all good !! ended up with 2 1/2 #'s for $1.98 [sweet] people overlook the gaudy belt buckles at the garbage sale ....coupla bucks for 8-16 oz oh heck yeah - got any more ? those usually arent as nice as the tableware tho ( it adds a wee bit of silver plate to the mix lolz )

Chatteris
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
i think i will try looking on ebay for pewter instead of tin it looks alot cheaper, well hopefully and good idea about melting seperately as no doubt i would of chucked it all in one pot and got screwed ;;

I'm from UK so will have to do my own research on ebay though but looking at the links atleast i know what i am looking for :D

lwknight
06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
When ebaying for pewter you should contact the sellers to find out the weight of the items so you can price your bid by the pound. Shipping is a killer.

Changeling
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
When ebaying for pewter you should contact the sellers to find out the weight of the items so you can price your bid by the pound. Shipping is a killer.

Man you aren't kidding, that's where most are making there profit!!!!

jsizemore
06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
You should be able to find pewter at yard sales or thrift shops for cheap. Modern pewter is made of tin with a little antimony and copper. Maybe you could find some mono or linotype which is lead, tin and antimony. I melted many Sheffield glass bottom mugs to 'sweeten' the alloy. Good Luck

johnlaw484
06-15-2010, 02:10 AM
How about bearing babbet?