PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Thunderbolt 45Colt Pump Gun

Four Fingers of Death
08-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I saw one of these today, nice rifle (apart from the sharp butt, looks good, but bites in the shop, It will be nasty under recoil, it ws obviously built for someone with smaller shoulders than me).

I shoot 45Colts revolvers in CAS and thought that this would be a good rifle for me. The rear sights seem a little close to me and are just a blur and not really definite enough.

Do they make tang sights for these yet? Woth the long Bbl, that would be excellent sight radius. Be a pretty fierce pig gun as well.

Now if they it in 44/40, I'd just have to get a Lee Marvin smokey the bear hat and a big pair of those lace up boots and jodphurs.

floodgate
08-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Mick:

"I saw one of these today, nice rifle (apart from the sharp butt, looks good, but bites in the shop, It will be nasty under recoil, it ws obviously built for someone with smaller shoulders than me)."

Those crescent buttplates are a holdover from the old muzzle-loading long rifles and the Schuetzens. They were intended to be held, not against the shoulder, but in the hollow in your upper arm between the shoulder joint and the biceps. Don't work worth a damn when held against the shoulder. Not at all convenient when trying to operate a lever action repeater. I had Cody re-stock my old No. 5 Ballard "Pacific" .45-70 with a shotgun buttplate; now, it's a lot more fun to shoot!

Doug

Bucks Owin
08-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I haven't seen one of those yet. Is it like a copy of the old Colt "Lightning" like USFA makes once again? (in .44 WCF and .45 Colt by the way...)

Curious,

Dennis

PatMarlin
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I used to date Lee Marvin's Granddaughter. Does that help? ....:mrgreen:

Buckshot
08-10-2006, 11:31 AM
..............Larry on of the Burrito shooters is a SASS guy and bought one of those in 45 Colt maybe 5-6 months ago. A very beautifull rifle with superb wood and a top notch bluing job. The issues he's had with it is that it won't set off every round. It's off to a gunsmith's to have a look-see at the innards. Dont know if that's the same for all or not. Looks to be a 1st class job otherwise.

...............Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
08-20-2006, 06:37 AM
I might pass then, I have had an old Uberti 1866 clone which has been the most unreliable rifle I have ever owned (stretched frame, now fixed). I don't think I could put up with an unreliable rifle again. I'll stick with my 92s I think. The USAF or whatever it is is not on sale here. I think they are so dear I could buy a Taurus Thunderer and a good used truck to drive to the range in for that sort of money. Mick.

Bucks Owin
08-20-2006, 03:20 PM
The USAF or whatever it is is not on sale here. I think they are so dear I could buy a Taurus Thunderer and a good used truck to drive to the range in for that sort of money. Mick.

You got that right, they start at around 1,200 frogskins I think....

I just wondered if the Taurus pump was similar to the "Lightning"....

Dennis

StarMetal
08-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I forget what magazine it was, either Guns & Ammo or Shooting Times, but they did a test on that Taurus pump alongside the real thing. It got a pretty good review and I think they said it was a pretty close copy, but something was different, I don't remember if it was it's innards or what, forget.

Joe

lar45
08-20-2006, 03:47 PM
I had a Marlin 1894 44 mag. It was wonderfully accurate, but started jamming all the time. A round would get halfway out of the tube and get pinched by the lifter going up. The only way I could find to clear the jam was to take the gun apart. This wasn't much fun doing it in the mountains while hunting deer. :( I sold it.

I really do like the Rossi M92s.
they do make the Puma in 480 Ruger and stainless. With the efectiveness of the 475 Linebaugh in a handgun being used on Cape buffalo, Elephant... you could keep the pressures low on the 480 and still get 475 velocities out of the rifle barrel. I would have to resist the urge to load it up to higher velocitys where cast bullets wouldn't work as well.
So for a dangerous game levergun, break away from the 500gn @ 2150fps English standard and shoot a good cast bullet at handgun velocities. (1300-1400fps).

I think I went out on a tangent here?

Rossi M92s?, yep, like em.

omgb
08-20-2006, 04:17 PM
The Pedersoli version and the Baretta version (yes, Baretta makes one too) are better than the originals in that several of the mechanical weaknesses were fixed. From the outside, they look identical to the original, on the inside, significant changes were made to the springs, ejectors and the lock-up. Of cousre, these guns for for about $1,800 US vs. about $500 US for the Taurus. Steve, the guy that modifys and tunes Rossis has a few ready for sale (the Tauruses) check out http://stevesgunz.com/SalesSG.htm

Four Fingers of Death
08-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Old Man Quinn from Gunblast did a test, here's the link, Cheers, Mick.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Thunderbolt.htm