PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Repairs

44MAG#1
06-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Well I have had a Blackhawk at Ruger for 2 months now and still haven't gotten the gun back even though it was scheduled to be shipped 6-4-10. Not shipped yet.
I have just about had it with Ruger even though I "was" a big Ruger fan.
BTW not my first issue with them.
It is getting on my last nerve too.

jh45gun
06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Welcome to the club.

anachronism
06-09-2010, 08:56 AM
My record is 9 months. I could've had another kid instead!

MtGun44
06-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Lots of Rugers, only one time to the factory. I bought a 1965 vintage Ruger target
model .22 auto. It misfired a bunch (it was 20 yrs old used in original box when I bought
it). Couldn't figure it out, so sent it back. ALL PARTS EXCEPT BARREL AND RECEIVER (top
tube) replaced for free. Runs perfectly now, 25 yrs later.

I like Rugers, all of mine (many) have been good guns. Not too many in the last 15 yrs (only
two) so maybe I'm out of touch. Latest is a .22/45, works great and real accurate, don't like
the safety "improvements" - the mag safety about drives me crazy.

Bill

jh45gun
06-09-2010, 11:48 PM
MTGUN44 I am sure for every bad story here about Rugers there are plenty of good ones never said they were all bad but come on as the guys say above two months and nine months to fix a gun???? That is absurd they should just send them a new gun if its going to take that long or fix the one they have if they want that one back in a weeks time instead of months. In my particular case I have had two single sixes and two 44 Blackhawks and one each was bad thats a 50 percent rating which is not exactly stellar. For that reason and for the reason of listening to others with their issues I have sworn off buying Rugers unless I can shoot them first which very seldom happens.

RSOJim
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I have sent 3 blackhawks back to Ruger for various repairs, barrel changes, wreck rebuilds, etc. I am very happy with the results I got back from them. The results are worth the wait. Thanks Jim

MtGun44
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Not doubting you at all. Just for my education, what was wrong with the guns?
Really trying to understand what they are messing up on.

Bill

jh45gun
06-11-2010, 01:39 AM
The ones I had just were not accurate they shot patterns instead of groups. Since I know what a good Ruger shoots like this was not acceptable. At first I thought it was ME but then after shooting some other pistols and found that I could still shoot a short gun well I then knew it was the Rugers that were bad not me. What I found interesting was the Single Six being so bad with both cylinders since the first one I had shot very well as did the first 44 I had. If learning nothing else from the experience it is if you have a good gun never get rid of it because the next one you may get to replace it may be a lemon.

anachronism
06-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I had really exceptional service with the Prescott plant. The revolver plant has long been a disappointment.

44MAG#1
06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Got the gun back Wednesday and shot it today. Still shot 6 to 7 inches high at 25 yards. Called and sevice manager suppose to call me back on the situation.
I am about through with Ruger. I will have to think long and hard before I would buy another one.
I am not going to wait another 2 months for it to get "fixed" again. Yeah it got fixed alright.

pdawg_shooter
06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I was a FFL dealer for 24 years and I hated to sell a Ruger. I had to send more of them back than all other brands I sold. There were a number of them that after the second or third trip I repaired myself just to try to keep the customer happy.

Frank
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
pdawgshooter said
I was a FFL dealer for 24 years and I hated to sell a Ruger. I had to send more of them back than all other brands I sold. There were a number of them that after the second or third trip I repaired myself just to try to keep the customer happy.

That's funny, my FFL said in the thousands of guns he has transfered over the years, he has never, ever had to send back a Ruger. Not trying to stir the pot, but that's exactly what he said. [smilie=l:

jh45gun
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM
pdawgshooter said
That's funny, my FFL said in the thousands of guns he has transfered over the years, he has never, ever had to send back a Ruger. Not trying to stir the pot, but that's exactly what he said. [smilie=l:

Then he is one of two things either the luckiest man on earth or full of BS.

bigboredad
06-11-2010, 03:58 PM
44mag
howmuch do you want for your broken blackhawk

broncoformudv
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I have been a Ruger fan for years and have had multiple Ruger 44's and 22's in rifle and pistol and one #1 in 375 H&H. All of them have been great guns except my 4" Redhawk in 44 mag. That thing shot shotgun patterns at any distance with any load or bullet. Got sick of it and sent it back this spring. Ruger had it for a month and reset the barrel, fixed the crane(not sure what could have been wrong with it), and put a new crown on it. Took it to the range two nights ago and it is now shooting a 4" group at 10 yards from the bench. Guess that is better but doubt I will be keeping this pistol much longer.

I am still a Ruger fan though and doubt that will ever change.

dubber123
06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Got the gun back Wednesday and shot it today. Still shot 6 to 7 inches high at 25 yards. Called and sevice manager suppose to call me back on the situation.
I am about through with Ruger. I will have to think long and hard before I would buy another one.
I am not going to wait another 2 months for it to get "fixed" again. Yeah it got fixed alright.

Taller front sight, (you knew that, and it's a bunch of work on some guns), OR, look at what actually hits on the rear sight when it's bottomed. Take it off, and file away the base of the sight until it will drop down OVER the rear of the frame. It's easy, and basically invisable when done. My brothers SBH will zero with heavy 300 gr loads with this simple and FREE modification. Good luck.

44MAG#1
06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
It would take at least .057" to take the group down enough where one would have some leeway on sight adjustment.
I am not going to start grinding and filing and fiddling with the rear sight by taking some off the top of the blade and the bottom of the sight housing to try to get a messed up gun fixed that should have been right before it left the factory.
I appreciate your advice but but 57 to 60 thou to me is out of the question.
Now 15 to 20 thou is a different thing.

Guesser
06-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Back in the early days of stainless steel NMBH; I sent one back, waited 4 months(remember, no email or internet). Called several times, no answer, finally got thru. They said they would look for it, HUH????. After 2 more months, received letter stating that the gun had been marked received and they couldn't find it. Almost 3 months later, received letter stating that gun had been destroyed, should never have been shipped, QC failed to stop it. Finally received credit for it. Better believe I've never looked at another stainless steel Ruger of any model.

jh45gun
06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
That bad Single Six I had was a stainless too.

dubber123
06-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, send 'er on down the road. Or file on that $5 rear sight... :)

jh45gun
06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, send 'er on down the road. Or file on that $5 rear sight... :)

Should not have to it should have been fixed at Ruger in the first place.I am sure they test fire their guns or at least they should to see that they are shooting acceptable and accurately. They used to send a target with their Mark II Government models too bad they do not do the same with their pistols. Oh that's right that means they would have to shoot good from the factory.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I have owned and shot quite a few Rugers over the last few years. All of them have been accurate, some have been scary accurate. I have had to send back one, but the work and turnaround time was reasonable. My favorite gun currently is a NM stainless Vaquero in 45Colt, it was/is a sweet shooter strait from the box, should I find a new favorite it most likely will still have the Ruger brand name on it. I am sorry to hear about you difficulties, but I am confident that is not the norm.

44MAG#1
06-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I went back to the range this morning just to check myself to see if i was delusional. I fired 9 shots offhand at 25 yards. I had 15 rounds left and wanted to save 6 so 9. The group of 7 were inside 25/8ths inch with 2 slightly out and was 61/4 inch's high with the rear bottomed out.
This with a gun that was gone for 2 months. I was told it was test fired before it left after the repairs.
What kind of person test fired it I wonder?
I am SURE this is just one of the RARE times Ruger fouled up but they did foul up. Big time as far as I am concerned. Especially after 2 months.
I just wonder though if mine was the only one with a sight that was way to short that got out of the factory.
I guess I should be happy though at least I have a revolver that is probably sighted now for maybe 150 to 175 yards.
What more could one ask for?
This with Winchester 255 gr factory loads.

MtGun44
06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Hmmm. 7 of 9 inside 2.625" (If I read your post correctly) with factory ammo isn't accurate
enough?

Upon re-reading, the issue seems to be more the fact that you can't adjust to factory ammo
with the adjustable sights.

You are right, that shouldn't be. I wonder what ammo they use to set up the gun?

Is the front sight pinned in? If so, I'd ask them for a taller sight and put it in myself.

Bill

dubber123
06-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Should not have to it should have been fixed at Ruger in the first place.I am sure they test fire their guns or at least they should to see that they are shooting acceptable and accurately. They used to send a target with their Mark II Government models too bad they do not do the same with their pistols. Oh that's right that means they would have to shoot good from the factory.

True, it should have never been an issue to begin with, but thats what I have come to expect from many gun companies. I have had poor quality guns from Ruger, S&W, and Taurus, junk that should have never been allowed out the doors.

I have taken to performing any repairs/modifications I can. I have sent back quite a few guns, and have been disappointed several times. If a company sells me too many bloopers, I just refuse to buy any more of their products. Taurus will get no more of my money, and I haven't ordered any new Rugers in a while, although I would still roll the dice on one if I was interested.

The junk they let slip out is disappointing, but I am afraid I have accepted it as a fact of life now.

jh45gun
06-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Too bad all companies are not like Henry Repeating arms. ALL Customer Complaints are handled by the president of the company. You call and have a complaint or comment you get him on the phone. You need to send your gun back for repairs NO PROBLEM and he will send you a pre paid postage sticker to put on the box to ship back free and of course shipping back to you is paid also. I had one issue with the hammer on my 22 mag I had the gun back with in a weeks time and not only did they fix the hammer they put a new rear sight on it as well though I did not ask them too I had taken off the rear sight because I had a scope mounted which I took off before I shipped the gun back. Perfect service and fast service and at NO COST TO ME.

pdawg_shooter
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
pdawgshooter said
That dude needs to buy a lottery ticket!

jh45gun
06-14-2010, 04:01 PM
That dude needs to buy a lottery ticket!

Or a Bible (Thou Shall Not Lie) :) :):)

NHlever
06-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Ruger does not fire it's handguns for function, or accuracy these days, and I doubt that other companies do either. They are proof tested, and then fired once more for the "fired case" required in some states.

bisleyfan41
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
pdawgshooter said

My dealer has said the same thing. He opened in 1975 and can count on one hand the number of Rugers he sent back. And he said all except one were finish/blemish issues. The other one was a 10.5" SBH that the owner felt the need to fan with full house loads. That gun went back seven different times over the years for the same issue. And Ruger faithfully repaired FOR FREE EVERY TIME damage inflicted by the owner! Don't really care to hear whining about their service.

Your front sight is TOO SHORT !. Ruger wil only put on the front sight the gun is supposed to have which is intended for 240 gr factory JHPs. Find a smith to fit a taller sight. It's not a defect; you want the gun to perform with ammo heavier than it is set up by the factory to use.

And Ruger test-fires the guns it repairs for function, not accuracy. Ain't enough hours in the day. Ruger is many times bigger than Henry and if Henry ever gets to the size of Ruger, I can guarantee the President won't be the one you deal with then. Good friggin' grief!

44MAG#1
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't know whether the "front sight is too short" part of your post refers to me but in case it does it is a 45 Colt. The sight on the gun is the incorrect height for even standard Winchester 255 gr factory loads as at 25 yards offhand it shot roughly 6.5 inches high WITH THE REAR BOTTOMED OUT. This is not acceptable to me and I would say not to many on here.
The gun was gone for 2 months for them to correct the problem which they did bring it down from roughly 8 inches to 6.5 inches high which was an improvement but they still fell short in correcting the problem.
I had the gun 6 days and it went out the second time for hard to tell how long .
Except I am not going to tolerate another lenghty time frame as I put in the letter if they can't get it right within a couple weeks they have bought themselves a 45 Colt Blackhawk.
Not really whining as I would say they have been busy correcting the SR9 problems and the 380 problems they had.
But it is my money that I worked hard for and I just wanted the gun fixed. I never called the factory and whined etc until it was the day before the 2 months was up and I told them the gun or the money then.. The gun was sent out next day air UPS with a clean??????????? bill of health.
Yeah buddy.

jh45gun
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Bisley Fan 41 your obviously one of those Ruger fans that even of a person does have a valid complaint against Ruger you think we are wrong or whining. No matter what you think Henry is a large gun manufacturing company. They make many models of guns now and sell well and they also take PRIDE in their guns being accurate why cannot Ruger? Testing them for function is wonderful it would be like buying a new high performance car and the factory saying yes you step on the gas and it goes forward and backwards so every thing works. Only problem is when you get it it does not perform as advertised. What is Rugers Warranty? I don't know they do not show it online at least that I could see yet Henry is proud to show theirs on their website> WARRANTY
Henry Repeating Arms stands behind its products as it has historically. We offer a simple limited lifetime warranty; if you have a problem at any time, and it's our fault, we will correct the problem immediately and at no charge. The warranty does not cover excessive wear and tear to parts, and accidental damage.

GUARANTEED SATISFACTION
As a family owned business, we stand firmly behind our products. We guarantee our rifles, our customer service is second to none, and we will go out of our way to insure your complete satisfaction.

We thank you for your interest in Henry Repeating Arms and invite you to join the ever growing family of Henry rifle owners throughout America. We are confident that you will be delighted with any Henry rifle you select. Please visit your local Henry dealer today.

Anthony Imperato
President

That's a pretty decent warranty.

No reason that Ruger could not do the same or pay for shipping if the problem is theirs not yours.

Art in Colorado
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Ruger has for some reason not put tall enough front sights on their Black Hawks. I have had the same problem with the many I have owned except a 7 1/2 inch Bisley 44 Mag and a 5 1/2inch Bisley 45 Colt. I believe the 7 1/2 inch Bisley was ok due to the longer sight plane although I still had to have the rear bottomed out. The 45 Colt Bisley was the last of the three issues of that Black Hawk and they finally put on their highest front sight. I had one of the first issues of that one and had to have that front sight replaced by a gunsmith who was doing other work on it. Is your Black Hawk stainless? If so and your are pleased with all but the elevation I would ask Ruger to send you the highest front sight and roll pin and get it swapped.

Regards
Art

45-70marlin
06-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I have had Rugers since 1976 and had good luck with most all of them. when I delt with them on a problem they were quick to help. I dont know why you are having this problem with them, but I think a lot changed at Ruger since Bill sr. died. I talked to factory rep. at our local gun shop last year and he spoke condescendingly about the old man when I asked him about
some of the older products. I didnt care much for that. might be the new attitude there now, I dont know.

44MAG#1
06-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I received the gun back this past Tuesday. The sight is now just fine. I bought the gun March 15th and Ruger has had the gun for 21/2 months out of that time frame.
If they would have listened to me the first time they would have way ahead of the game.
But they know best or so they thought.

bisleyfan41
06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Sorry you were w/o your gun for so long, but glad to see they made it right.

gon2shoot
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I really cussed the last 45 I bought untill I sized down to a minimal .451 now it will ragged hole on a 25yd target, who knew?