PDA

View Full Version : strange score...persistance yields results

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Last friday, I stopped by a large Ford dealer, that also is a regional truck sales and repair shop. I go in the back of the truck shop, right to the tire guy. I ask to buy some Lead. He says a guy was just here and bought it and told me to come back in a month or so.

I drive across the parking lot to the car dealship building (same company), I walk in the back of the auto shop, right to the car tire guy. He says, we have a few, but the Owners Son hauls the scrap steel and lead to a salvage outfit and gets top dollar for it, so you neeed to talk to him.

So, I walk to the showroom floor and ask for "Mitch". receptionist says "he has left early today"...then she takes my name and phone and says she will have him call me on monday.

Of course I get no call today.

I stop by the showroom this afternoon and ask for Mitch. He is a short fellow, maybe about 40 Yrs old, He walks over and says, Hi, You're the guy looking for Lead. I meant to call, but time got the better of me. He asks, what do you want Lead for ?
I say I cast bullets and cores for swaging bullets. (I always add swaging because if they are gun owner types, I always get into a long conversations about making my own jacketed bullets). Which did happen. He Said, there were very few in the car shop, then invited me over to the truck shop....BINGO, there was a full 5 gal bucket off in the corner. Mitch asks for Tom the tire guy...another mechanic says he's gone today. (of course this Tom guy must have had that stashed for himself or someone...when just three days earlier this Tom tells me someone just bought all he had.)

I offered Mitch $30 cash, He said, "that is great, I'll give the cash to the shop foreman and have him put it in the donut fund." Mitch had a large mechanic lift this heavy bucket into my car...I couldn't budge the full bucket. Most of the weights were the Large TURD sized truck weights...I've never seen such big weights.

I bet Tom the Tire guy will not be happy when he returns to work. I suppose i won't be buying anymore weights there...unless I time it the same was with the owners son and Tom the tire guy is out on vacation...or maybe just show up right when the crew leaves for the day.
Jon

mac1911
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I scored some of the really large truck wheel weights, they melted at a very low temp? Im guessing there is a lot of tin in them to keep them from getting really beat up?
They started melting when my thrmometer hit 500'F

sagacious
06-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Truck tire weights are good stuff. Congrats on your score.

509thsfs
06-08-2010, 05:32 AM
I scored some truck weights by accident one time. Stopped by a small local shop and asked about WW's. Owner told me the scrap guy just picked them up the other day. As I was walking away he called me back. Told me he thought he had some "big old ones somewhere I'll never use". We went to the back of his shop and started digging through all the junk under his old bench. found a bunch of old boxes of large WW's and he kept tossing them in my bucket. Kept saying "nope, those aren't the one. but I KNOW I saw some BIG ones under here somewhere." Finally found them. I had never seen any truck ones before and they were huge haha. Ended up with about 3 gal of weights. The owner went out of his way to find them and "unload" them on me.

zuke
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I scored some truck weights by accident one time. Stopped by a small local shop and asked about WW's. Owner told me the scrap guy just picked them up the other day. As I was walking away he called me back. Told me he thought he had some "big old ones somewhere I'll never use". We went to the back of his shop and started digging through all the junk under his old bench. found a bunch of old boxes of large WW's and he kept tossing them in my bucket. Kept saying "nope, those aren't the one. but I KNOW I saw some BIG ones under here somewhere." Finally found them. I had never seen any truck ones before and they were huge haha. Ended up with about 3 gal of weights. The owner went out of his way to find them and "unload" them on me.

Did you bring him anything in Thank's? :idea: