PDA

View Full Version : Bore Butter

Fly
06-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I tryed the T/C bore butter out this weekend & really like it.I know people say Crisco is as good or Crisco is
the same stuff.I have used Crisco for years in my front loaders & tryed it in this revolver as of late.Yes it
works great.

But the bore butter works better IMOHOP.The clean up it great also.I swobbed the bore down good before
going out & the cylinder pin & it worked great all day.

Fly :brokenima

Dframe
06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I've used Bore Butter exclusively for years. Wouldn't be without it.

northmn
06-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Crisco works good and is less expensive. I have some Bore Butter now, don't know if I will replace it when gone. Worked good in my little 25.

Northmn

cherokee235b
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I have used a lot of lubs over 40 years and I have used bore butter the last several years and I believe it is truly the best product I have found.

Fly
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Cherokee I have to agree.I started shooting black powder about 1980.I tryed alot of
different stuff.Then I shot in comp's at our local gun range & just wet my pillow ticking
with my mouth.

That seemed to work as good as anything, but we were shooting right after doing
that also.Now that was with front loaders.I later bought a 1860 army colt & tryed
more different lubes & none seemed as good as Crisco.

Then I got away from shooting for many years.About a month ago I bought this 1858
Army & started shooting again.Some recommended T/C bore butter, so I thought I
would try it.

Best stuff I ever bought.If I have had it back when I would have used it then.

JMOHOP Fly

waksupi
06-08-2010, 04:58 PM
You guys must not shoot in cold weather. If you can get five balls down the barrel without sticking one, you are lucky!

Geraldo
06-08-2010, 05:13 PM
You guys must not shoot in cold weather. If you can get five balls down the barrel without sticking one, you are lucky!

If it turns hard in cold weather, it turns to yellow syrup in the summer here. I have a little bit left that I use for patch lube, but for boolits I use beeswax and crisco.

Like it or not as a lube, it has no useful properties as a rust preventative.

stubshaft
06-09-2010, 06:28 AM
On a whim I melted some Crisco with Ivory soap to make it a little stiffer. Works well out of my ROA.

2shot
06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I prefer the Ox Yoke products for my ML but I'll use Bore Butter if I run out.

2shot

Lead Fred
06-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Along with T/C Number 13 bore cleaner & pre-soaked patches.
With Bore Butter, you can shoot all day/week long, and never have to clean.

Ive used it all since it came out decades ago. I will use nothing else

Fly
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Well I look at it like this.If it's real cold or hot out side I'm not going out any way.I was
out yesterday at the range & it was about 95 degrees & had no problems.

On another subject, I'm shooting 32 grains of Goex.That leaves a bit of bullet jump.
I,m using felt wads coated with bore butter.So when I was loading I used my Lee
3cc dipper to add Grits as a filler on top of the powder.

It put the balls just below the cylinder.It seemed to help the accuracy some.Man
I'm really impressed how much better the Pietta revolvers are now from what
they used to be.

I think it must be the CNC machining & CMM QC work that every one is using now days.

If anyone has stayed away from cap & ball revolvers from bad memory of the old day,
check out the guns being made today.I'm sure there most likely still spring issues to
deal with.

But springs are minor issues that are easy to replace.

Fly

Hanshi
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I've never bought Bore Butter or any of the clones but I've had a couple of tubes/cans given to me by a friend. I personally do not like it that much for a patch lube. Crisco is cheaper and works the same - whether alone or in combo with other ingredients. I always use a prb lubed with Crisco or the remains of the BB tubes for my first load when hunting. This way if I don't shoot, I can leave the rifle loaded for weeks. Can't do this with a liquid lube such as my all time favorite Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube. Hoppes is what I use for all reloads, target shoots and range work.

shdwlkr
06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
When I started shooting black all you had was crisco or some home made lube. Years later found bore butter and heard of the stories of how when it got cold it wouldn't work. In my experience it has not failed me but have to admit the coldest I have shot it is around 5 below so that could be some of the reason it has worked for me and never have loaded it over 3 times either at that cold. I keep it in my shirt to keep it warm until I need it also.
Yes I still use crisco and beeswax and bore butter. I like the crisco and beeswax for my ruger old army seems to stay stiffer in the summer but then I don't use enough to really see much difference in any of them.
the only way to find out what works for you is to try what can get and see how you like what it does for you and in your rifle/pistol. Kind of like patching material some folks like thin matter some of us use pillow ticking and some use silk. By the way I tried it and don't see much advantage to using it. For me pillow ticking of .018 works fine in all my black powder firearms so that is what I have and use.
I am down to using 3f powder in everything, .018 pillow ticking, mag caps and ww rb to make things easier for me. yes I do use pure lead when I can get it and in my maxi-balls they are pure lead so far.

SamStafford
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Did you guys know that Bore Butter comes in Pine Scent now? Smells like I'm in a Forest! Heh!

Swampman
06-15-2010, 12:07 PM
There are so many things in the kitchen that work well, I can't see buying anything.

357maximum
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
There are so many things in the kitchen that work well, I can't see buying anything.

Now I have to ask as it is just the way I am. How did that stuff arrive in your kitchen?[smilie=1::mrgreen::Fire:

That being said I DO NOT LIKE BORE CRUDDER. I have seen too many smokepoles that were injured due to some noo B following the directions on the tube and eventually rusting the snot out of their barrel that was "seasoned and protected".

I am currently using a mix of deer tallow/pig lard/microwax and I like it better than anything else I have ever made or bought, but I DO NOT shoot a cap and ball revolver anymore. In that case I can see how someone could get enamoured by the convenience of a tube delivery system, even if the stuff in the tube is LESS THAN IMHO.

Swampman
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Between olive oil, Windex, and lard, I get the job done

northmn
06-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Someone once said Bore Butter is nothing more than udder balm. Its different, the balm don't work well. Tried it based on a suggestion. Bore Butter seemed to work better in my 25 than Crisco as to giving me more shots without cleaning, but then so did Graf's powder. Still don't know if I would buy another tube. Definitely would not for shooting revolvers.

Northmn

shdwlkr
06-17-2010, 12:11 PM
One of the things I learned using bore butter is that you don't need a lot of it to work and since using less is good thing period I have learned to like it.
northmn
I use it in my pistols only just enough to seal the cylinder and no more if you do use more you get a real mess. Works for me and my pistols

As to using it like the directions say all I can say it is way to much bore butter and nothing protects a bore like Kroil, but you have to clean the bore first and why with black powder wouldn't you clean your firearm when you are done shooting?

twildman
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I use it in my pistols only just enough to seal the cylinder and no more if you do use more you get a real mess. Works for me and my pistols

As to using it like the directions say all I can say it is way to much bore butter and nothing protects a bore like Kroil, but you have to clean the bore first and why with black powder wouldn't you clean your firearm when you are done shooting?

Last week, I bummed some Bore Butter from a rangemate for my '51 Navy, and did the best shooting I have ever done with it. I just anointed around the edge of the seated ball with a Q-tip, no more, no less; no mess.

As to its protective property: NO natural-lipid preparation can be expected to perform as well as a modern synthetic metal protectant. The bore, cylinder or whatever has to be BONE DRY if one expects it not to rust under a coat of natural grease.

northmn
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
The less is better sounds like a good suggestion for revolvers.

Northmn