PDA

View Full Version : AA #9 in the 7.62x39?

NuJudge
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Has anyone tried this powder with cast bullets in the 7.62x39, especially with the 155gr Lee gas-checked bullet? I'm particularly interested in the primer and bullet lube used.

Christopher Dingell

StarMetal
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I just got in from shooting my Yugo SKS. My load is 26.5 grs of surplus 4895 (about all I can get in Winchester cases) topped with the Lee 155 gr bullet you speak of. She shoots consistant 3/4 in groups at 100 yards. I have it scoped. Real fun, pleasant, and accurate rifle to shoot.

Joe

Larry Gibson
08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I just got in from shooting my Yugo SKS. My load is 26.5 grs of surplus 4895 (about all I can get in Winchester cases) topped with the Lee 155 gr bullet you speak of. She shoots consistant 3/4 in groups at 100 yards. I have it scoped. Real fun, pleasant, and accurate rifle to shoot.

Joe

3/4 inch groups at 100 yards? From an SKS (even if scoped)? I'll bet you meant 3-4 inches which is still pretty good for an SKS. I haven't tried #9 pwder either and mostly use 4895 as Joe does. I use Javelina lube and Hornady GCs.

Larry Gibson

jballs918
08-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Larry,

Hey man he means 3/4. star has done alot of work on his sks to get it to shoot like that

bruce drake
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I've got a Chinese SKS that will consistently hit one inch 100 yard groups as well with Lee's 155gr GC over 5.1 gr of Red Dot. They are sized to .312 and lubed with two coats of Lee's Liquid Frog Snot. my cases are Remington with the Small Rifle Primer. I use Small Magnum Pistol Primers for this load for the thicker brass cup.

It does take a lot of work on these rifles to get them to shoot. It took nearly two tears of tinkering with the rifle (new gas piston and glassed the stock) and the load before I got the mix right.

Bruce

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
3/4 inch groups at 100 yards? From an SKS (even if scoped)? I'll bet you meant 3-4 inches which is still pretty good for an SKS. I haven't tried #9 pwder either and mostly use 4895 as Joe does. I use Javelina lube and Hornady GCs.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

I beg your grey poupon :-D Nope that's what it does consistantly. When going full hilt and trying for the best accuracy, that is neck sizing only and seating the bullet out to engrave the rifling and loading single shot , as they won't work through the magazine being that long, it's been known to cut a HOLE smaller then that 3/4 inch group. Very hard for me to do all the time, lousy trigger for one and the stock just isn't shaped right for good bedding off the bench. The Yugo SKS is a quality piece. Mine was also unissued and the bore is terrific. Those 3/4 inch group loads aren't mild loads either, nor the are the accuracy ones. I think it's cool my Yugo SKS should right up there with and above alot of boltactions in that caliber.

Joe

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM

Larry Gibson

Larry,

Forgot to add what I've done to the rifle. First I stripped off all that grenade launching crap and also the bayonet, including milling the lug for the bayonet. I'm not collecting, I'm shooting. I got rid of the grenade muzzle attachment too and I recrowned the muzzle on my lathe. Then I glass bedded the action, not real easy on a SKS. I polished up the trigger some (real bear to tear the trigger assembly apart too). The scope is a dedicated mount, that is I DTed the receiver. It's a Choate mount, and I think it's the BEST out there, as it allows the rifle to be stripped down, where as that Aimsport one doesn't. I can also use the iron sights too. So now you believe?

Joe

Junior1942
08-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Joe, I just got a J & G Sales flyer with a Yugo SKS "Excellent to like new condition" for $159.95. Is that the same rifle as yours? I'm thinking of getting one.

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Junior,

Yessir, that's it, but get it from www.aimsurplus.com (http://www.aimsurplus.com). They are great to deal with. Usually they have them in various states of conditions from new unissued down.

Let me tell you about the Yugo ..Junior. There are two. One is the conventional SKS as we know it, that is with bayonet, no grenade launcher, and no gas cut-off valve. Generally the ones that are more common and more then likely the one you saw at J&G is the grenade launcher model. Okay, about them, they are robust. If you ever handled a Chinese or Russian one, these are alot heavier and more robust. I'd like to say stronger, but I can't prove that. They don't have chromed bores (not big deal) and they also have rubber butt plates because the grenade launching system. They have .310 groove diameter on the button and they are four groove rifling. Give you an idea of their robustness I weighed mine on my kitchen scale and it was between 12 and 14 pounds. Durn heavy for a small round.

Joe

Junior1942
08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Joe, did you weigh it after cutting off the bayonet and grenade launcher? 12 lbs is too heavy to pack around in the hog woods!

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Junior,

I probably did, but have forgotten what it weighs. Tell you what pardner, I'll weigh it again just for you and report back. They're really great rifles Junior.

Joe

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Junior,

With the scope and sling, don't forget the mount is steel also, it weighs 9.5 lbs.

To compare my M1 carbine, loaded with 15 rd magazine, weighs 6 lbs on the button and that's with no sling/oiler.

Joe

Junior1942
08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
So maybe with peep sights and w/sling it might go 8 lbs, huh?

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Junior,

Yeah, I'd say it should definately be around that.

What's nice about the Yugo grenade model Junior, is you can turn your gas valve off and cycle the rifle by hand (which I do) so you don't lose your brass when target shooting. That big knob out the side is pretty fast to cycle too.

Joe

Junior1942
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Joe!!!! I'm gonna order one.

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Junior,

My pleasure....you getting it from Aim? They are great to deal with.

Joe

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Junior,

Take a look at this sight for your SKS when you get it.

http://www.tech-sights.com/index.html

Joe

Junior1942
08-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Nah, I have an account at J & G so I ordered it there. The guy said that model is built heavy duty because it has a grenade launcher. That sounded good to me. I'm wondering how much I can reduce the weight? Maybe there's a weight in the stock?

Junior1942
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Those Tech-Sights look good! Whatever sights I use, it'll have a .150" diameter rear and a red fiber optic front. This rifle will be a 75 yard max hog rifle. I don't even plan to reload for it--I'll use the Wolf hollowpoint ammo.

StarMetal
08-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Junior,

The buttshock has a big hole drilled in it for some tools that go in there. It has a trapdoor on the buttplate. Well just getting rid of the bayonet and it's lug, which means you can't retain the cleaning rod any longer (another weight savings), the grenade sight, the flip up front night sight, and the muzzle attachment, will take a bit off it. By the way that muzzle attachment does screw off and it has normal right hand threads. There's a pin in it to anchor it. You may need some heat on it to break it loose. Once broken lose it spins off. The stock can't really be trimmed anywhere to reduce weight. I don't know if one of the many plastic stocks for it would be lighter or not.

Joe