PDA

View Full Version : 38 To the range tomorrow

mag_01
08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
:coffee: ---I have loaded 158gr. swc with herco -- 4gr (light) and 4.7 rated a plus P load as well as ---Tight group 3.4gr. and 4gr. looking forward to seeing the results of these 4 loads---using a colt python 4 inch. The 158gr. bollit is a Lee tumble lube-----range scraps and a little wheel weights for the mix.------Mag

Bad luck Bill
08-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi Mag,

Try 3.2 grains of Tight Group with that 158 gr. SWC, you should get very good results. At least I did in my Ruger BlackHawk .357 6 1/2 inch barrel. Funny, I just cast 50 of those Lee 158 gr. TLSWC's myself, just got the mold today! I'll be trying them out later on this week, probably Thursday or Friday. Tell me how everything goes on your range trip, I'm intrested in your results. I also got a TL wadcutter mold and cast about 200 of them, they cast very nicely but I did have a little trouble with the TLSWC mold, the sprue plat is way too tight! I need to loosen it up somehow...any ideas? I also had some fill problems.

Good Luck!

Bad Luck Bill.

lar45
08-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi Bill, I hear that the Bull Plate, sprue plate, lube works well to keep things moving smoothly. Hopefully I'll have some next week to try myself. (link on the bottom of any page)
If you're haveing a problem with fill, you might need to run your pot hotter, pre heat mold, smoke mold. ??

Bad luck Bill
08-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Did all the basics Lars, thanks though. I put some Remington teflon gun oil on the sprue plate bolt and now it's perfect! It should be fine from here on in. As for bad fill I guess it could be a weird mix, maybe I just need to break in the mold some more. You know how it goes, sometimes you get excellent boolits and other times things go rough. At least I think that's how it goes? Hell! Maybe I just suck at casting! While we're talking...What do you think about that Lyman mold...the one that produces a round nose for the 38 special? I here it is a very accurate bullet. Do you have any experience with the mold I'm talking about? I think the number is Lyman # 358311. I think my buddy has that mold and wants to sell it. Wonder why he's been getting rid of good Lyman molds? I think he has a thing for RCBS molds now.

BLB. :castmine: