PDA

View Full Version : IAB 1874 repair?

danski26
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine bought an 1874 Sharps replica made by IAB. From what i understand the quality on these leaves much to be desired. He bought this from a private party, took it home and found that it is broken. It seems that one or more internal parts have given up the ghost.

He is not interested in fixing it himself but is at a loss as to where these rifles can get service. I understand that they have had several importers over the years and I'm not finding a current importer.

Does anyone know who is fixing these rifles, preferably a "factory" repair instead of a custom gunsmith.

waksupi
06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I would take it back to the guy who sold it, as he darn well knew it was broke. IAB's come pre-broke from the factory. I doubt you will find factory repair available, and a lot of gunsmiths probably won't touch it, or charge more for the repair, than it is worth. Best fix would be to retrofit parts from another makers action. Then you would still need to know if the throating and barrel is as crappy as most of them were.

KCSO
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Once agan IAB/ EMF Sharps...

The receiver isn't hard, the internals aren't hard and the chambers are mis cut over 50% of the time. I have had two that were marked 45-70 and you could slip a 45- 2.6 right in. The so called safety device causes weak hits on the primers. You don't want FACTORY repairs you want it done BETTER than the factory.

Cut oversize chambers to 45- what ever will clean up $75.00 each
New main spring $25.00
Harden lock parts $40.00
Harden set triggers and adjust $30.00
Replace broken sear or tumbler Parts cost Plus $15.00 Hr.

Waksupi is right Take it Back.

danski26
06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I believe he bought it from an aquaitences widow with a bunch of other guns and equiptment. Taking it back to her is not an option. Thanks for the info though guys.

wonderwolf
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
What specifically has broken in the gun? could be just a common failure like the main spring snapping, or if it has a set trigger the adjustment may be off. Better figure out what the problem is before you start trying to fix it.

NickSS
06-07-2010, 03:19 PM
The IAB company made several iterations of the sharps rifle and some were pretty bad but some of the newer ones are better. There is not too many parts in a sharps action if it is broken it is most likely a spring or sear both are easily replaced as to being soft some of them are but some hold up OK. I have a friend who has a latter model 1874 made by them that shoots quite well and he wins silhouette matches regularly with it. YOu should be able to get parts from EMF co.

Bent Ramrod
06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
You might also check VTI Gun Parts. They have a big stock of Italian replica parts for just about all the makers, and the people I've talked to on the phone are quite knowledgeable. They've even recommended replacements from one company that fit other company' gun and the parts fit, just like they said they would.

MGySgt
06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Ah Yes - IAB Sharps.

I bought one a number of years ago - Had it rechambered to 45/90, hardened the Trigger. When I slugged the barrel it came out to .460!

I use a custom mould from mountain mold and a sizer die from Buckshot, size to .461 - it will hold sub MOA as long as you do your work and it has harvested Elk.

I wouldn't sell it or I wouldn't buy another one.

Drew