PDA

View Full Version : Venison Backstraps

piwo
06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
If frozen, submerge in water 24 hours prior to grilling: change water periodically. 1 hour before grilling, take backstrap out and trim off that white tendon/connective tissue/ **** off the flat surface. Yeah, it takes a sharp knife and a few minutes, but you gotta get that **** off. Let the meat warm up to room temperature (or there abouts).

Now, it come to personal preference. I've done it both ways. You can either grill the whole thing intact, or you can cut it in half, then in the thickest part, cut some 1-1.5 inch thick "fillet" type steaks. These are NICE!

Now for the preparation. We use a steak seasoning blend, garlic salt and a touch of pepper. Cover the meat liberally with the seasoning and the garlic salt. Get your grill (we are talking gas here, I don't have a BBQ pit) to @500 degrees F and sear over direct flame for 4 minutes, flip over and do the other side over direct flame for 4 minutes. After searing each side, move meat to indirect heat, flipping every 4 minutes. I usually turn the heat down to @ 400F during this stage.

Now it comes to how you like your steaks. Wild game SHOULD be eaten rare or medium rare, so internal temp at @ 140 should be the max. Any more and things start greying up. This is a simple recipe, and it's the way steak should be eaten.

BUT, if you want to take it to the NEXT level, then make a Demi Glase...... I'll make this a seperate post. :grin: :cool: