PDA

View Full Version : N.Y. cast boolit and swaging

pathfinder
06-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Is there anybody in central New York State that casts, reloads, or swages that would like to open a line of communication to bounce ideas around maybe start a club?

Jim_Fleming
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm a tad far from you, I live down in PA, just south of Olean NY...

However, are there any swagers that are down in my area...?

pathfinder
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Is that anywhere near Binghamton N.Y. Im there about 6 times a month sometimes more.

Jim_Fleming
06-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Olean is about an hour *east* of Jamestown... About 3 hours west of Binghamton...

Personally I live near Bradford PA.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Pathfinder,
regarding bouncing ideas;
you've got the greatest club right here...at the click of a mouse.
Jon

pathfinder
06-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Totaly agree. I have learned so much here already. I am more of a hands on leaner and thought that if there were people in the area willing to get togather on a weekly or monthly basis it would be good.

BwBrown
10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm new here, new to swaging, only been reloading about 45years.
I'm in Sullivan County PA, Towanda, south of Waverly.
Bob

Jim_Fleming
10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Welcome BwBrown, nice to make your acquaintance...

Don't worry about being new to swaging, you are dang sure among friends, especially with that much reloading experience...

It was interesting, a few days ago, a friend of mine swore he'd never shoot reloads, "they don't fire, they aren't reliable!, etc..." He fires off about 60 of mine in my Mini-14 and says... "Can you make me some of these...?"

Welcome BwBrown, please sir, don't be a stranger... I'm not perzactly sure where about's y'all're from but personally I think you've read roughly where I'm from... Tell us about yourself, if you'd care too sir?

I'm new here, new to swaging, only been reloading about 45years.
I'm in Sullivan County PA, Towanda, south of Waverly.
Bob

Jim_Fleming
10-11-2010, 11:54 PM
pathfinder, did you realize that you and I have already crossed paths in this thread...? I darn well didn't... until BwBrown posted...

Brian's a pretty good head when it comes to fabrication, guys...

Totaly agree. I have learned so much here already. I am more of a hands on leaner and thought that if there were people in the area willing to get togather on a weekly or monthly basis it would be good.

pathfinder
10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
pathfinder, did you realize that you and I have already crossed paths in this thread...? I darn well didn't... until BwBrown posted...

Brian's a pretty good head when it comes to fabrication, guys...

Thanks Jim.

BwBrown
10-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I'm the new guy.

I shot my first buck using an old .32 cal. Winchester lever gun in 1965. Bought the gun from a friend's dad, complete with a box of Hornady bullets, a Lee handloader die set that worked perfectly fine between an oak board and a brass hammer, and a box of empty brass. Went to the Army Navy store in Allentown and picked up a pound of 4064 and a box of primers. I think I paid about 50 bucks for the rifle; and compared to today's prices, the primers and powder were next thing to free.

I replaced that old Lee "reloader in a box" with a reloading outfit from Herter's: model 3 press, scale, powder measure, powder trickler. Probably drooled more over Herter's catalogs than was healthy, but they did pass the winter evenings. Plus, it was comforting and exciting to know that I was using "the latest greatest best tools and components in the world." Anyone who remembers those catalogs knows of what I speak. I must have believed him (George Herter) beause among my tools are five different Herter presses and the "Herter's Super Bullet Maker" in .44 cal.

It's been down(up)hill ever since. The only factory ammo I have ever bought in my life is .22's and a few boxes of steel shot shells for the occasional goose hunt.

I currently load for .38 spec., and 357 mag., 44 sped. and mag. and .45 Colt pistols.
Rifles are .22 Hornet, 22-250, 6mm, 257 Roberts, 308 and 30-06.
I do a little black powder shooting as well.

Now the kids are grown and on their own, I can get back to some of the things I want to do for myself. At the moment I have more primers than I can snap, more powder than I can burn, more bullets than I can stuff, more lead than I can cast, more tools than can fit on the bench. Just like most any reloader I have known.

My home for the last 36 years has been in North Central PA, we say we're an hour from everywhere: an hour northeast of Williamsport, an hour west of Scranton, an hour south of Waverly. Ready to retire, living on a small farm with a handful of horses, a bunch of chickens, a few turkeys, and a 100yd shootin' bench out the back door.

I've started pulling together the materials and tools to get into swaging. I'm about to send BT Sniper a check for dies to sit atop my Rock Chucker Supreme. (Would anyone shell out cash for a press called "Reloading Press Average?" ) Truth is, they're all pretty good.

This is likely far more information than anyone ever wanted, but that is what the page-down or delete keys are for.

There are sportsman clubs around, but none that I know of devoted to lead squishing. Might be fun to get together in person. We did that a lot before the computer forums came along.

My friends call me Bob.

pathfinder
10-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Welcome aboard Bob, Ill be in Binghamton N.Y. this friday not sure if thats close to you at all

Jim_Fleming
10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, after a self introduction like that, all I can say is welcome Bob, you're among friends... As you get to know me, you'll find that I'm somewhat of a smart ass... If eventually things are said, just call me on it, and I'll very likely back off...

Although I prefer to try and stay respectful.

Bullet swaging...? whuzzat...? :wink: I made about 10k of .224 diameter, 55 grain projectiles with empty .22 Rim Fire cases for jackets. Earlier this fall later in the summer, I fired a 5 shot group with them out of my Contender. At 90 yards, I fired a 5 shot group total spread was .754 in. ctc. The Contender has a 4x Bausch and Lombe fixed power scope on it.

I swear I had no idea them little brass pills would fly so well. I just threw some loads together and that's the first group testing I'd ever done with them.

The reason I made 10 K of them is that I have two hungry beasts that devour them bullets 30 rds at a time, and man oh man is it fun! No, before you ask, or anyone else does, not full auto... I wouldn't have one illegally... Legally they're too darned expensive thanks to the fine upstanding people that are supposed to represent us in Washington D. C.

Anyway, you'll see by my avatar and signature that I'm retired Military, that's a 36 year long story that has no place in this thread... :hijack:

Bob, you've opted to come on board what I personally think is the best damn bullet board in the world, and I've only been here about 3 years... I think...

Lastly Bob, you and I live about 2.5 hours from each other I'm guessing. I'm about 1.5 hours west of Mansfield PA on US Rt. 6. Pathfinder lives up close to Utica... I'd say we live sort of on the three legs of a triangle from each other... Perhaps you live closer to pathfinder, but i don't know for sure...

My friends call me Jim, please! ;)

Jim_Fleming
10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh, and I cast blue :confused: pills too... soon to be 9 mm, 38-357, 40, 44, and 45 blue :confused: pills. I love shooting handguns, I love shooting rifles... Lol what else is there to do...?

I like to call my cast boolits (blue :confused: pills) don't mind me, I'm being silly...

BwBrown
10-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Jim,

Better a smart-a$$ than a dumb-a$$! Me, I'm somewhere between half-slow and half-fast.

As for 36 years of service... on any board, a heartfelt thank you is in order. I was an Air Force brat.

I've got some hundreds of those blue pills stocked up, always try to keep a few hundred pounds of lead ahead of the pot, but my last haul of wheel weights was nearly half aluminum, steel and zinc - drives up the cost of "scrap" lead for sure!

22 cal bullets using spent 22rf brass is on the horizon - looking forward to getting into it.

For now I'm limited to the Herter's press and its .429 dies. Lots to learn for sure! I'll be sending BT Sniper the funds for a set of dies in 45 Colt here shortly.

Reloading, casting, swaging: it saves some money (if you don't factor in the cost of all the tools and toys), they're often more (or at least as) accurate than store-bought, but the thing I like the most is... in those times when (for whatever reason) you can't buy'em, you can make'em youself.

Looking for a "central point" in our triangle - how far are we all from, say Troy, PA or Elmira, NY or Waverly? I'm thinking lunch, a "meet-n-greet" and a few pockets full of show-n-tell.

Bob

Jim_Fleming
10-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Bob, the meet and greet sounds good to me. A couple problems I can foresee:

NY State and it's oppressive laws. Pathfinder, what would it be like for us to enter your state with a few bullets of each caliber we make? I. E. BULLETS not ammo?

I'm sure we'd not have problems, but just let's play devil's advocate and say what if we got caught?

I'm sure that Bob is as aware as I am that taking a handgun into NY State for a Non-Resident is a distinct no-no!

What about just the projectiles...?

pathfinder
10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I dont think it would be a problem at all. Lets paln something. I wouldent mind going south to see you guys. You Bob and I sould try to get on Skype tonight to sort it out. Ill try to be on tonight.

Jim_Fleming
10-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Guys, I'm sorry I missed this...

Bob, please look for a P/M from me...

I did a little checking, and it would appear that the triangle analogy is way off... It's more like a strung recurve bow, with me at the bottom, Brian up at the top, and Bob, you're at the center grip.

Have either of you gents heard of Ackley's in Westfield PA...? BIG Outdoors shop, lotsa guns and reloading supplies, in behind a nice well stocked hardware store, and in front of a lumber yard. They have almost as much stuff as a small Gander Mountain.

I can't possibly get together this weekend, I have to work, and I have company in the house here on top of that...

17-22 November I won't be available either... I'll explain after the event(s).

It's a lot easier for me, personally, if we try and set things up ahead of time, and I can put a rendezvous on my agenda...

Thanks for putting up with my meanderings...