PDA

View Full Version : School me on the .41 Magnum Blackhawk

Landric
06-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been wanting to get myself a .41 Magnum revolver for a while. I almost bought a used Model 58 several years ago (and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it, the "Classic" Model 58 just isn't the same). Anyway, I have a new found interest in Single Action revolvers and given that, the .41 Blackhawk seems to be the way to go. I'm a handloader and caster, so ammunition cost and availability are not issues for me. I just need a die set, a mold, some brass, and a sizing die for my lube-sizer. All of that stuff is available

My plans for the gun are for general fun shooting (with mid range cast bullets), woods carry, and carry while rifle hunting. Since its not going to be a primary hunting gun (and because I like the looks the best), I'm thinking the 4 5/8" model is best for me.

In my hunting for a .41 mold, I noticed that Midway has a clearance going on the RCBS 41-210-SWC at a pretty good price:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=190050

That looks like a good bullet to start out with.

So, what do I need to know? Are aftermarket grips available for the current internal lock (bleck) Blackhawks (I'm thinking a Hogue or Pachmyar for shooting heavy .41 loads would be nice)? Are the .41 guns built on the large frame, medium frame, or both? Any thoughts on the RCBS 41-210-SWC for the Blackhawk. Anything else I need to know or might consider?

TIA

9.3X62AL
06-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not aware of the addition of an "internal lock" on the Blackhawk-series revolvers by Ruger. If you are referring to the transfer-bar safety mechanism (on board since 1973), aftermarket grips are unaffected by the post-73 mods. If Ruger HAS commenced another internal locking regimen, SOMEONE wise me up.

I use two mould designs in 41 Magnum--Lyman #410032, a 212 grain SWC and a Lee 240 grain SWC. Both shot/shoot wonderfully, from 800 FPS to 1200 FPS in a Ruger Blackhawk x 6.5" and a S&W 657 x 6".

Heavy lead
06-06-2010, 04:03 PM
You have to take the grip panel off and use a key similiar to the S & W or the Taurus key.

BruceB
06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
The RCBS 41-210 is the only .41 mould I own. I bought it when I first got my M57, and it's the only .41 mould I ever expect to need. Mine casts a 217-grain bullet in wheelweight alloy, and it's EXTREMELY accurate at the 1300-fps level.....the only load I use is 17.5/2400, and the barrel is 8.375".

Get the RCBS mould; you won't be sorry.

spqrzilla
06-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I prefer the Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum to the Blackhawk as the Redhawk will accept longer OAL handloads than the Blackhawk. I have some LBT bullet reloads that do well in my Redhawk that my Blackhawk wouldn't accept.

missionary5155
06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Greetings
41 Mag is top of my list for all around accurate revolvers. I have had just one Blackhawk that would not shoot well and that needed to have it´s cylinders regulated.
I shoot mostly the 200-240 weights boolits.. but have a 265 gc mold that really makes the long barrel a thumper. I would not desire to shoot that load in my 4 5/8 model.
The short barrel will be fine to use for any type of plinking and rifle backup. If I thought there were bears to contend with I would load a 265gc and not worry about recoil. But just to dispatch critters any boolit will do.
For easy shooting fun get a .411 round ball mold and try 5 grains unique.. you can go less but work down slowly. 6 grains will do in any bunny out there.
For an all purpose carry a long ways revolver the Taurus 5 shot Titanium is Fantastic. It is a handful with 210 grainers but in a defensive situation I do not think I would notice. The 5 shot Stainless model is heavier and works well with the 210´s.
All 41 molds I have work well. They range from 165 to the 265. Just check you cylinder throats. If they are all .410 or .411 you are fine.
The S&W´s are very nice hunting revolvers. Mine shoots the 240 Lee nicely.
My 41 Dan Wesson is my favorite. Long cylinders let yopu seat a bullet well out and really get some powder in the case. The only thing better is my 414 Supermag. That will make a 265 boolit scream right along.
But the shorty Blackhawk is a great way to get into 41 mag...

exile
06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk. I shoot a 210 grain semi-wadcutter over Accurate Arms # 9. Mine does have the new internal lock, but I have never taken the grips off of the gun to look at them, I just ignore it. With my arthritis, the .41 magnum in a Blackhawk is just right, not too little, not too much. I like it. It seems to me that those who get aquainted with the .41 magnum become very devoted to the caliber. I know I have.

exile

Guesser
06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I use a RNMBH 41 w/4 5/8" barrel. It is a 2006 production gun. I picked it up used, but in the original box with all papers and fired case. I found out that it has an after market steel grip frame, Hogue checkered walnut stocks and has been refinished in Robars "Roguard" black finish. Springs have been upgraded and it had a Belt Mountain pin assembly. All in all a pretty good gun, likes cast bullets, Lyman 410032, and Lyman 410610GC. I'm with you on the shorter barrel as a carry gun, you won't go wrong. My S&W M57-1 and my Contender 10" like the same loads.
41 Mag is a great all round chambering if you cast and handload.
Good shooting!!!!!!!!!

GLynn41
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
that RCBS is a very good mold and should shoot well and what ever speed you care to take it to- I have a shorty .41 Blackhawk too--- light little and powerful as you care to make it -- Miss 5155-- i still have my 6"VH DWA nice gun from the early 80s

9.3X62AL
06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
An internal lock in BHs. Nothing is sacred. I guess I should pick up a gunrag from time to time--when did this (sic.....) wonderful innovation get added? I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle here.

Bass Ackward
06-07-2010, 05:55 AM
An internal lock in BHs. Nothing is sacred. I guess I should pick up a gunrag from time to time--when did this (sic.....) wonderful innovation get added? I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle here.

Want to feel behind? Open one up to do the quick trigger routine and find it. That ain't a good feeling either.

Marketing ploy to make you feel price increases were justified. :grin: