PDA

View Full Version : Enfield #5 magazine help, please…

Typecaster
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Before I get into trouble…I'll ask for advise (for a change).

Just got an Enfield No. 5 Mk.1 (ROF) "Jungle Carbine" that needs a magazine. The one that came with it is short and doesn't extend below the trigger guard—and it doesn't feed properly. It's definitely not a 10-round magazine.

So before I post a WTB/WTT for a magazine, can I use one from another model or must I specify for a #5? I don't know how interchangeable they are. It must have the single locking lug.

Thanks,

Richard

Multigunner
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
The No.5 Carbine uses the same magazine as the No.4 rifle.
Also magazines from the No.1 rifle can be fitted to either the No.4 or No.5 rifle, they are usually a tight fit at the rib that the mag catch engages.

Most No.4 magazines won't work with a No.1 rifle that has a magazine cut off, they don't have a low cut right hand mag body.
Even the few early manufacture No.4 mags that were cut for a mag cut off plate that I've tried out didn't work with a No.1 with cut off. The cut off plates would jam tight when engaged.

Save the short magazine you have, and check it for unusual manufacturers marks. Some were made in Japan for sporter conversions, and others may be marked with the brand name of a sporter manufacturer.

Some states at one time did not allow a mag capacity of over five rounds for sporting rifles, or three rounds for shotguns, so modified magazines were not uncommon.

m.chalmers
06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Go here and get one:
http://www.ssporters.com/parts/enfield4.htm

Hardcast416taylor
06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I seem to remember a 5 shot magazine that was made for the 4 & 5 Enfield that was stamped Santa Fe Arms or something like that. I remember hearing they had a feed and fit problem. I would try Numrich Arms or Springfield Sporters for a correct magazine. The #4 and #5 are interchangable for fit.Robert

Typecaster
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks, gents. I pulled the magazine from a #4 that was in storage and it fits, so I'll see about getting another one.

Robert—strange you'd mention Santa Fe Arms. Last weekend when I was in Prescott I saw a 98 Mauser 30-06 sporter marked Santa Fe Arms, Pasadena, Calif. Pretty clean work—nice barrel profile, aftermarket trigger guard, all markings ground off the receiver and reblued. Monte Carlo stock that looked like it would be painful to shoot. Santa Fe Arms was the private brand from Golden State Arms in Pasadena, one of the places my dad would take me when I'd been especially good…or if he wanted to look at guns. It was a huge white building on Colorado Blvd.—a former Elks' lodge, IIRC—within 100 yards of where the TV cameras now are set up for the Rose Parade. Various military weapons were set in the concrete walkway for decoration. I especially remember broomhandle Mausers in a pattern. Inside, the "good" stuff was in racks; and there were lots of barrels containing milsurps. Alas, the GCA of '68 killed the business.
Sorry about the tangent…

Richard

Colt .45
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Ive got a repro 10 rnd mag for a no 4 mk1. 20$ + shipping if you'd like it. Its not as rounded as the regular mag, send me a PM if you want some pictures.