PDA

View Full Version : Chimp and a 44 mag

wistlepig1
06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
WOW! Don't know if this is true but WOW.

A guy came into the PD the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 (44 Mag.) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw ...Bet he never uses Chinese made Ammo again!

badgeredd
06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I am becoming extremely distrustful of anything made in China. I personally would never buy ammo made there after all the recalls on lead based paints used on toys, antifreeze used in tooth paste. QC appears to be non existent and cheap substitutes for approved products appear to be the norm. Exploding ammo could really ruin a guys day!!!!!! :mad:

Edd

Bullshop
06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Not much left to dispose of. Maybe it could be converted to an open top three shooter?
Well using BP only of course.
BIC/BS

thx997303
06-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Might want to be careful what you complain about.

The Shrek glasses were made right here in the USA.

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/our_company/mcd_faq/shrek_glasses_recall.html?DCSext.destination=http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/our_company/mcd_faq/shrek_glasses_recall.html#4

See question number 12 at the bottom of the page.

Blammer
06-06-2010, 03:32 PM
if you look at the top picture, you see the bullet protuding from the cylinder, it suspiciously looks like an XTP bullet. I'm not for sure, just observing.

I'm also not aware that China made any 44 mag ammo. If they did, I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like.

Heavy lead
06-06-2010, 03:35 PM
There is about the same chance that I would buy a Shrek glass at McDonald's as there is popping a cap on a Chinese made round (or any other unknown). Maybe I'm an ammunition snob (I trust my own much more than even US made) but you'll not see me shooting any steel case, Eastern European, or others that just don't set right with me.
As far as I'm concerned Shrek and all the other Hollywood stuff is no better for the mind than that Chicomm ammunition is for that 629, course maybe the Chinese used a Ruger SuperRedhawk to proof test it's ammunition and decided to dump a little more powder in!
:veryconfu

fatelk
06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't know anything about the particulars of this incident beyond this thread, but I would be bet money that this was someone's reloads that did that rather than Chinese ammo.

I'm thinking that absentmindedly grabbing the can of Bullseye instead of 2400 would have this kind of result. I don't know of any Chinese made .44 mag anyhow.

I've shot a lot of Chinese made ammo, myself, and never had a problem. A lot of the Chinese arms and ammo is actually better quality than some other makes. Give me Norinco ammo over Amerc or Pakistani surplus any day.

Tom W.
06-06-2010, 04:56 PM
That picture has been going around for some time now, with different captioning..

HeavyMetal
06-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I'll suggest taking a mallet to the cylinder and knocking it out of the frame.

Then I'd take a good hard look at the case head and see if I could make out a head stamp!

My first suspision would be some one tried to shoot a boolit out of the barrel or first time reloader with no experience what so ever.

I am also curious as to why it looks like it only had 3 rounds in it??

The toughest part of a thread like this is trying to figure out what happened without having the piece in your hand!

If those are factory loads S&W just might replace this for you!

Hope the OP does more with this than chuck it!

wistlepig1
06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I looked at the bullets to and had my questions about China making rounds for a 44 to. But I didn't know but better to show this and save a nice gun and someones head.
Ture or false, some CHIMP sure messed up a nice piece! I would bet reloads.

lwknight
06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Anyway he should have had a ruger.

Blammer
06-06-2010, 08:23 PM
:bigsmyl2:

TCLouis
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I have never seen 44 Mag from China.
What brand?

MtGun44
06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I am extremely skeptical of most 'tall tales from the web'. WAY too many times they
turn out to be total or at least 90% bs.

Bill

TCLouis
06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Once upon a time I had a blued Super Blackhawk that looked just like that.

DANG, I miss that gun!!

She was a shootin' fool!

Yes, I know what happened and I can blame . . . . ME

spqrzilla
06-07-2010, 10:16 PM
It can be interesting to see the same photo of a destroyed gun, or an injured person, or both - with wildly different "explanations".

Down South
06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I am also curious as to why it looks like it only had 3 rounds in it??
Me too.

S.R.Custom
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Once upon a time I had a blued Super Blackhawk that looked just like that.... Yes, I know what happened and I can blame . . . . ME

It's a comfort against our own human weaknesses to say "what a *******!" but the truth of the matter is, we're all just a brain fart or senior moment away from doing the same damn thing.

Personally, I've never blown up a gun. But as much as I load and shoot, it's just a matter of time. Be careful out there boys and girls...

Down South
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
This is another thread on it.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/smith-wesson/88267-kaboom-another-ouchy-s-w-629-a.html

lwknight
06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Now we know the REAL story,
Thanks

StarMetal
06-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I am extremely skeptical of most 'tall tales from the web'. WAY too many times they

Bill

BINGO !!!!!!!!!![smilie=s:

dubber123
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Anyway he should have had a ruger.

I have personally seen 3 blown up .44 magnum revolvers. All were Ruger Super Blackhawks. Was it the guns fault? Nope. Mostly the idea some have of how strong a Ruger is. Yes they are strong, but still well within the "explodable" range of strength.

klcarroll
06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Bill

I agree wholeheartedly! .......And there are always plenty of experts available to analyze the incomplete data that is presented!

It reminds me of an observation Mark Twain once made on "Science":

"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. "

Kent

JeffinNZ
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Looks like a 100% load density charge of Red Dot to me.

lwknight
06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Looks like a 100% load density charge of Red Dot to me.

I wonder just how would you know that? LOL!! Maybe the same way that I know what a compressed charge of 2400 in a Ruger SBH looks like.

dubber123
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I wonder just how would you know that? LOL!! Maybe the same way that I know what a compressed charge of 2400 in a Ruger SBH looks like.

When I was a teenager, a neighbor gave me some .44 mag ammo his friend had loaded for him. I ALMOST tried it in my S&W. I used a kinetic bullet puller, (240 gr. J-words), and even after the bullet came out of the case, the powder would not, it was compressed so much. :shock: I had to use an awl to get it loose. I think it was 2400. I'm pretty sure that would have been the end of my S&W.

Just1Mor
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I dont know about you but i load h110 compressed loads for my contender 28.6 grs to be exact and have never seen anything like that.

I have seen some pretty Sh*tty ammo from chine though, I had some 308 the father-in-law gave me and after 3 case head separations in my grand-converted bm59 pulled the boolits and measured .311 and stuffed to the fop with powder. Will never by china made anything if i can help it (more than likely not).

lwknight
06-10-2010, 12:18 AM
I don't think that you could overload with H110 unless you really pressed it into the case where it would deform the bullets. But you can compress 2400 and bust yout SBH cylinder for sure. I did it when I was about 18 years old and had a junky scale.
How time flies. That was like 30 something years ago.

fatelk
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
A friend was telling me recently about how he blew up a model 29 in his younger days. He and his buddy would shoot his dad's .44 mag, and decided to "hot load" it. He doesn't remember what powder they used but he remembers cramming the case full, compressing it with the belling die, and cramming in some more.

The results he described sound a lot like the photo at the start of this thread. He and his buddy both worked all summer long to earn the money to buy a new revolver.:sad:

a.squibload
06-13-2010, 03:07 AM
When I was a teenager, a neighbor gave me some .44 mag ammo his friend had loaded for him...

A few years ago a freind at school gave me some handload 44s in a green RCBS ammo box.
Label on front indicated each 2 rows were a different load, by velocity, increasing L to R.
Didn't say what powder. One of the rounds in the first row is seated with the crimp above the driving band.
My first thought was "pressure!". Was thinking of pulling all of 'em for components.

I just saw that box last week, now I can't find it!

Southern Son
06-14-2010, 05:21 AM
I've shot a lot of Chinese made ammo, myself, and never had a problem. A lot of the Chinese arms and ammo is actually better quality than some other makes. Give me Norinco ammo over Amerc or Pakistani surplus any day.

I wish that I could say the same, but I can't. I used to buy Norinco .45ACP (back before the government decided that I didn't need my 45). At least once per box, sometimes more often (alot more often), when I pulled the trigger, the gun went pop and then locked up. After struggling and freeing the round from the chamber, I found the primer backed out of it's hole (locking the barrel and slide together). The reason was Norinco did not put a flash hole in the case. I pulled the bullets from a couple of those rounds and found that there was powder, the primer was obviously live, but there was no flash hole to join the two.

On the subject of the exploding S&W, I am glad the bloke who shot it is apparently OK, and I am glad that I wasn't shooting it when it happened.

pjh421
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
"Get your filthy paws off me you damned, dirty ape!". Probably not a good idea to teach chimps to use guns anyway...

Paul