PDA

View Full Version : cast iron corn bread mold

Hardcast416taylor
06-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I just got my farm equipment parts catalog. WWW.AGRISUPPLY.COM I found a cast iron corn bread mold, 7 half ear molds, it`s 11" long and 5 1/2" wide #63530 and it`s $5.99 plus shipping. They have other cast iron pots, skillets, etc. Thought I`d pass this on to the board.Robert

Charlie Sometimes
06-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I got one I'd part with, if someone wants to pay the shipping on it.
Mine is 12 1//4 x 5 1/2- same number of ears!

The ears it produces would be called "Silver Queen" wouldn't they? :rolleyes:
Pun intended- might only be caught by the farmers or home gardeners out there.

A contact has been made- pending shipment.

kytrapper
06-06-2010, 12:44 PM
might not work in some watery recipes though-lol

Le Loup Solitaire
06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Good find and good price! These make fine ingot molds. Never mind the idea that lead will stick to cast iron...it won't, and there is no need to rust it so that the lead won't stick to the cavities. When you are thru making ingots and the thing cools off just give it a shot of WD-40 or put some kind of oil on a kleenex and mop the ear cavities with it.....that way there will never be any rust on/in it and it will keep making good ingots forever. LLS

twotoescharlie
06-06-2010, 03:55 PM
cheapest place I've found. good source for other things also.

TTC

hoosierlogger
06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
You can buy them for about $3 at flea markets all day long around here. I picked up two nice ones the other day one for the kitchen and one for smelting.

cwskirmisher
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Good find and good price! These make fine ingot molds. Never mind the idea that lead will stick to cast iron...it won't, and there is no need to rust it so that the lead won't stick to the cavities. When you are thru making ingots and the thing cools off just give it a shot of WD-40 or put some kind of oil on a kleenex and mop the ear cavities with it.....that way there will never be any rust on/in it and it will keep making good ingots forever. LLS

A better idea is to spray some mould prep on them (I use 'Drop Out') - keeps them from rusting AND will not smoke/belch next time you pour the lead in them, and the lead seems to 'leap' out of them when you turn them over.

20nickels
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Very nice! Just bought three.

Changeling
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Just some advise, use anything BUT, WD-40! That stuff should be banned!

Mark Daiute
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I recently I bought a lee ingot mold. My pot holds about 40lbs of lead so it was slow going, waiting for ingots to cool, tipping them out, refilling the ingot mold....

So, the next time I was at Cabella's they had a Lyman ingot mold. That'll speed things up thinks I to myself. so I bought one. Well, it sped up the process a little.

So, I'm walking through this decrepit old Antique store and there were these nice early 20th century cast iron molds. Fritters maybe? they cast a half cylinder, whatever they are. they were kinda nice and I'm thinking these are to nice to contaminate with lead. I ask the girl how much? She says a buck a piece. Well, OK says I.

Each one of these molds has 12 compartments. The next time I smelted down some lead I filled all 24 compartments, the lee mold once and the Lyman mold once and the lead pot was drained! Great! as fast as I can poor and I had 40 pounds of ingots. Those half-cylinders fit nicely on both sides of the rod in my brother's dripomatic. Just great and I spent all of 2 dollars. Now the question is- what am I gonna do with 24 dollars worth of commercial ingot molds that I'll more than likely never use again?

MT Gianni
06-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Mine was $8.99 over the counter at the pre-bankruptcy Sportsman Warehouse.

20nickels
06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Just some advise, use anything BUT, WD-40! That stuff should be banned!

I learned that one the hard way. I gave my reloading dies a quick coat before storage and it rusted them :(

cajun shooter
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
If you let them set outside and rust then the lead drops out easy also.

20nickels
07-06-2010, 10:36 AM
BTT
Just wanted to say that I used four of these this weekend to smelt wheelweights. They are... well, perfect for the job of making ingots.

Changeling
07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
If any of you guys run into a Wagner 12 to 14 inch cast iron frying pan I would really be interested in buying it. Actually I need a Wagner 5 or 6 qt Dutch Oven with a flat bottom also. These would be for cooking in the house.

My son found out that his father might know a little some thing about cooking after all , LOLAL. He brought a big stainless steel pan down to my house (and his girl friend) and proceeded to show me how to fry chicken the modern way, I just let him have his way and didn't say anything.
We had dinner and he asked what I thought, I said it wasn't bad, his girl friend said it's perfect!! So I invited them over the following Sunday and I would make my fried chicken, they agreed! Man this made my whole day, LOL.

The following Sunday I fried up a chicken in my Wagner cast iron, had mashed potatoes with chicken gravy and had been cooking a "BIG" mess of green beans with a home cured ham hock in the dutch oven on "Low" for about 4 to 5 hours.

You guys ever seen people eat, who looked like they hadn't for about a month, LOL, real hard!!
They wiped out the chicken/beans and mashed potatoes, Hell I thought his girl friend was going to lick the dutch Oven!!

Then he wanted to knowhow I did it, I said cast iron, he is still talking about that meal. Now get this, his girl friends mother called me and told me how much her daughter had loved my cooking and could she have the recipe. I said OK, but it actually the cast iron cookware and knowing how to use it. I don't think she believed me, but she said she would purchase some!

My Son, He just said get me whatever I need Dad, PLEASE. Don't you just love it when your kids say "Please", LOLAL

CiDirkona
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Has anyone tried any of these as a small smelting pot? I'm still collecting the items I need to start casting.

http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-wok-handles-/p/67696/cn/6000136/

The price is awesome, just concerned that it's big and stable enough?

Muddy Creek Sam
07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd get this instead http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=61078

Sam :D

cajun shooter
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I would be willing to bet that it would be very hard to find a home in South Louisiana that does not have any cast iron pots and skillets to cook with. I have for the past 35 years a special little fry pan that puts out three of the best eggs ever fried.

BulletGeek
07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
My ingot mold is a cast aluminum cornbread pan. It drops seven little lead cornbreads at about a pound each, a very handy size for dropping in my Saeco pot.

CiDirkona
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd get this instead http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=61078

That looks perfect! Thanks!

Hardcast416taylor
07-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with Muddy Creek Sam on the selection , seeing as how it is flat bottomed and has a handle. Glad you guys checked out the site I mentioned.Robert

Muddy Creek Sam
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Robert,

They have a store less than 3 miles from one of my suppliers. Lucky Me, No Shipping.

CiDirkona
07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Sam, does your local store have any of those 3qt cast iron sauce pans in stock? The AgriSupply place is on back order until July 30! :(

Muddy Creek Sam
07-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Sam, does your local store have any of those 3qt cast iron sauce pans in stock? The AgriSupply place is on back order until July 30! :(

They're a 100 miles from me, They are less than 3 miles from one of my lead suppliers.