PDA

View Full Version : Site benefit - #0/#4 and #00/#0000 Morgan Molds

Bob Krack
06-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Cap'n Morgan mold rental

I will finally have the moulds together in one package by June 15th. They are being shipped to 45nut for his use and he will be shipping them out to the next in line.

Two custom made Morgan Molds, one casts 14 #4 Buck and 10 #0 Buck. The other casts 9 #00 and 8 #0000 buck.

Handles are not included but the metric hex head wrench and a sprue cutting clipper (sometimes not needed) are included as is a wooden "pushing" rod that can be used to help push the casting out of the mould if needed.

They require either the RCBS or 6-cavity Lee handles. Other handles might work - I just know those two do work.

I am asking for a donation of $15.00 or more to the site for the use of the moulds.

They are shipping in a USPS Small Flat Rate box. I am requesting your agreement to ship using the USPS "Signature Confirmation". If you ship via any other carrier, please verify that tracking and signature confirmation will be provided.

Bob Krack
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Currently on the list... Please verify and others are welcome to add their name.

badge176
bushwack
sheepdog
Bulletlube

badge176
06-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Badge176 sounding off! Yes I am still interested! PM me with the details

Suo Gan
06-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Cool way to generate a little money for the site! Put me on the list too please.

Bob Krack
06-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Cool way to generate a little money for the site! Put me on the list too please.
Got ya there. It's been lots of fun and just a tiny bit of grief. Hopefully it's all happy times from here on out.

The current list is:

badge176 - confirmed and waiting
bushwack - confirmed and waiting
sheepdog - requested
Bulletlube - requested
Suo Gan - waiting

The moulds are in Montana or Oregon or in transit from Montana to Oregon.

I will update as soon as possible.

Bob

45nut
07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I got the molds recently and this morning set about trying them,, my experience:

Get handles on both sets,, these molds hold heat and swapping and keeping both molds going is the only way.

Take your time and dont rush. they will eat a lot of metal due to the large center channel sprues so keep an ample supply of metal nearby.

Dont leave large sprue puddles on the top,, dime or nickle size at best worked best for me.

There will be rejects, so what, you can cast as many as you want to make up for that and use the rejects or remelt them.

I will try again in the AM to go through another 20lb pot and then these are on the way to badge176

I wish I had a set for myself, I can see how these would be very useful.

Bob Krack
07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
As Ken mentions, they are about ready to ship, are you still out there badge176?

A few more days and it will be on to "bushwack".

Bob

badge176
07-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Badge176 sounding off!

I'm in! PM me with what you need...

badge176
07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Nifty packaging! Very nice set, I have to work all weekend (all that "Protect and Serve" stuff!;-)), but I'm gonna take off a day to run these like a fiend to stock up some buck.:grin:

Bob Krack
07-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Bushwack,

You are next, badge176 will let us know the approximate shipping date in the next week or two.

Bob

Bob Krack
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Don't know if I lost track or jumping the gun. I have only been able to contact "Suo Gan" so they are going to him and he will send them to the next person on the list (before him) that is confirmed by Willy.

In this and in all future cases, please choose to benefit EITHER the site OR to benefit "45nut" as you prefer.

Site benefit contact information is:
Gun Loads
C/O Cast Boolits
P.O. BOX 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206

PayPal E-mail address is: payment@gunloads.com

If you prefer to benefit "45nut" personally please PM him for his mailing address.

Thanks to all of you.

Bob

Bob Krack
09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Suo Gan has the moulds now.... Bushwack is next... Are you there Bushwack?

Bob

bushwack
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Bushwack is here and ready.

Bob Krack
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Bushwack is here and ready.
Gotcha,
Send me your mailing address and I will forward it to Suo.... (for my records also).

Bob

Suo Gan
09-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I Have spoken with Bob a couple of times the past few weeks and have recently received the molds. Let me first say that Bob is a gentlemen! But I have mixed reviews about the molds. So, in the interest of informing others and not just passing the buck I feel obligated to tell my tale about the Morgan Molds. After having cast about twenty pounds of alloy into those buggers, I found that Ken is right. There must be an extremely small sprue. And they do hold heat so you need to pace yourself and watch your pot temp carefully. Yes the volume is definitely there, but the quality of the balls is not. Some of the larger balls will break from the center casting upon ejection from the hot mold (which is a good thing!), many of the larger ones can be torqued off the center casting with your fingers (which is a good thing!) when they cool and a very clean sprue cut will result. But the vast majority of them will need to be cut with the altered side cutters Bob has included with the kit. Cutting the larger sizes needs to be done carefully, and fairly good results about like what you expect from a traditional mold with a sprue cutter will result. The smaller sizes (#0 and #4B) when cut will leave an oblong ball. I will need to test pattern them, but after tediously cutting five pounds of them, I began to realize that it would be much cheaper to go out and pay what the factory wants for their shot. I'd say I had about half and half rejects out of the batch. You can get good usable shot from the larger sizes, and it makes it seem as though you are really cookin with hog lard when you compare the math between one and two cavity molds, but when your your rejection rate and the time is taken into account, it is much better economy to just cast the larger sizes with a traditional ball mold with a sprue cutter, and BUY your #4 shot. I can see why this style mold is not made by any major manufacturer. The fit and finish of the Morgan molds is about as good as a Do-It sinker mold to say it in a word "crude" comes to mind. I am sorry if there are hurt feelings over any of what I have said. I know Bob is not making a cent off this deal. This is one mans opinion. Don't want to get into an argument about it either. Just consider it opinion and keep it at that.

Will be sending them to next in line ASAP!

Bob Krack
09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Thank you Sir,

Your observations are appreciated. Wisht more had given better appraisals of the usefulness of the moulds.

Thank you for the kind words.

Some will love them, some will only be able to say - "Oh well, the donation went to my favorite site (or at least ONE of my favorites)."

Bob

Gunload Master
09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I did recieve a donation from Bushwack as well! Thank you!

Suo Gan
09-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Thank you Sir,

Your observations are appreciated. Wisht more had given better appraisals of the usefulness of the moulds.

Thank you for the kind words.

Some will love them, some will only be able to say - "Oh well, the donation went to my favorite site (or at least ONE of my favorites)."

Bob

You are a gentleman and a scholar Bob! Sending them on to Bushwack.

Gunload Master
09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I did recieve a donation from Suo Gan as well! Thank you!

Bob Krack
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
In response to Suo Gan's appraisal to the Morgan molds - I truly appreciate his candor.

In Cap'n Morgan's defense I must say that I personally much prefer aluminum moulds to MOST steel moulds. RCBS works terrific for me - out of 6 Lyman moulds, one casts good for me. ALL my Ohaus moulds work perfectly, my Nei aluminium moulds work fine.

Never cast with brass moulds, and don't know if'n I ever used Mehenite moulds.

If ya wanna try the Morgan Molds and truly do not like aluminum molds - ya prolly wanna pass. If aluminum moulds work good for you, the Morgan Molds might work good too.

No matter. I offered the rental and Cap'n Morgan assisted by donating the second mould - to help the site.

I hope I am gettting the point across that I DO appreciate ALL criticism, constructive or otherwise and I think Suo Gan's criticism was right on for him and his expectations, time availability, and financial position.

Myself, I got lots of time but not much dollars. I will gladly spend hours and hours casting boolits and shot, as much to while away the hours as to save money.

In closing, thank you Suo Gan (and 45nut) for your excellent and honest reviews of the Morgan Molds.

Bob

Bob Krack
09-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Bushwack has had the moulds since the 17th and I suspect that another week or ten days will be ready to send them on to the next in line..

Waiting to hear from sheepdog and/or Bulletlube.

Bob

Gunload Master
10-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I recieved a donation from Bulletlube! Thank you!

bushwack
10-22-2010, 01:02 AM
I sent the molds off to bulletlube on Monday, I also sent a pm to Bob with the confirmation number.

Bushwack

Bulletlube
10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Received the molds and had my first casting session today. I would agree with most of what Suo Gan had to say. As for myself I'm happy with what I am getting. Like 45nut said cast a lot and put rejects back into the pot. The only thing I did different was to leave a very large sprue. That worked for me, remember everyone does things a little different what works for one person might not work for the next. If you want perfect little round balls these might not be the molds for you. With a large sprue all I had to do was open the handles and tap the hinge pin and they would fall right out. I had a better fit with RCBS handles than the Lees that I have.

Bob Krack
12-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Watch for two new round ball mould benefit actions in the next week or two.

The Professor has donated a #00B/0000B steel mould for us to use for a site and/or 45nut benefit.

The Professor has been kind enough to also try to repair and upgrade the two "Morgan Molds" round ball moulds.

I have the steel mould in my hand now and am wanting to wait for the arrival of the two Morgan Molds to publish all the details.

I will be starting a new thread with a similar title shortly after the first of the year.

Many thanks to Cap'n Morgan and to The Professor!

Bob

EDIT: I have no idea how I made the mistake but the professor's mould is aluminum - NOT steel. this is for your information only, I usually like aluminum moulds more than the steel ones. Sorry guys.

Three moulds will be available for "rent", will post more in a new thread soon.

Bob

wiljen
12-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm in for the 00 buckshot mold. that sounds great.

dieguy59
12-25-2011, 10:32 PM
How many cavities? I might be interested in the OO and OOO.

crawfobj
12-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Will be watching for this too.

Merry Christmas!

randyrat
12-26-2011, 09:26 AM
I would like to rent the "00" mold. Please put me on the list. PM me if I forget to check this thread

bowfin
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
These molds look like a good way to lay in slugging material.

Bob Krack
02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
The first of the professer's molds is going out this week to Wiljen. As soon as the second and the first two originals are available I will be starting a new thread.

Willjen was the first to reply followed by dieguy59, crawfobj, and randyrat.

Bob

Bob Krack
02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
How many cavities? I might be interested in the OO and OOO.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=139058 will show you the cavity count and configuration.

Many thanks to Keith (professer).

Bob

wiljen
02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I sent Ken my $15 donation. I have not received the mold yet. Do you have a tracking # on it?

Bob Krack
02-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I sent Ken my $15 donation. I have not received the mold yet. Do you have a tracking # on it?I have not received notification from Ken yet. BUT, Will, I am not waiting on that.

I have the signature confirmation number for you and it is is 9121 9690 1038 3055 4754 84.

Sorry for the delay.

I want to thank you very much for all you have done and are doing for the site.

Bob

wiljen
02-10-2012, 09:59 PM
No problem, I just wanted to make sure the PO hadnt lost it. We've had a few things go MIA and I'd hate to see that happen.

Bob Krack
02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
No problem, I just wanted to make sure the PO hadnt lost it. We've had a few things go MIA and I'd hate to see that happen.

Thank you sir, I am requesting to all that the mould(s) be sent on using a "Signature Confirmation" so we will have proof (as much as possible) that someone received and then that they actually sent it(them) on.

I am a little on the slow side "gettin round to'it" but it is for a good cause and I just have troubles sometimes getting things done in a timely manner.

Thanks again,

Bob

theperfessor
02-12-2012, 11:02 PM
All -

Sorry it has taken me this long to touch base here. I've had the Morgan molds for a couple of months - far longer than I intended - but I've finally gotten around to working on them. The alignment pins and pinholes were pretty well beat up. I realigned the halves and drilled and reamed them as a unit on the vertical milling machine. Then I fired up the lathe and made some pins similar to the ones Lee uses in their six cavity molds.

I didn't want to put much stress on the molds by having too tight an interference fit so I made the pins 0.001" oversize. I've got them pressed in, fitted up, and faced off on the outside but I'm not satisfied with the pin tension.

Given that these molds are rather petite and that they will be used as rental items, I am going to cross drill and tap each pin from the end then put in a setscrew threaded into the block and pin both.

The picture below shows the mold blocks after drilling and reaming but before pressing in the pins.

I expect to have these ready to send back to Bob in the next week.

Bob Krack
02-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Keith,
I believe that anyone following this thread and most anybody that knows what is going on will and would say a great big "THANK YOU".

I suppose anyone not satisfied with the speed with you have so graciously donated can just ask for their money back. HeeeHawww.

Thank you Keith,

Bob

wiljen
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I signed for the mold today and picked it up from the PO. Will be using it this weekend.

wiljen
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Cast 20 lbs of buckshot tonight. Thing works great. gonna try for 200 lbs total before I send it on.

theperfessor
02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
All -

I finished the Morgan molds. I packed them in the same box Bob sent them to me in (a small flat rate) and put that box into a medium flat rate box. I also threw in another .320/.380 ball mold for Bob to circulate. Shipped the box back to Bob this morning, so he should be getting everything before the end of the week. That should make four molds available for circulating around.

Bob, I don't envy your job of keeping track of them as they circulate around!

Bob Krack
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
All -

I finished the Morgan molds. I packed them in the same box Bob sent them to me in (a small flat rate) and put that box into a medium flat rate box. I also threw in another .320/.380 ball mold for Bob to circulate. Shipped the box back to Bob this morning, so he should be getting everything before the end of the week. That should make four molds available for circulating around.

Bob, I don't envy your job of keeping track of them as they circulate around!Dr. Keith! I do not know how to thank you and how to explain how much you have done to keep this mould rental going.

I will be starting a new thread in the morning. - bad inet connection tonight.

Thank you, kind sir,

Bob

theperfessor
02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Kind words Bob. Let me clarify one thing - I do not have a PhD and am not a Doctor of anything. Well, I did make two sick molds a little better, but even then I acknowledge the truth that many others could do better. It just happened to be my turn to help, and I'm glad to do so.

Bob Krack
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Doctors make sick critters better and I mean to tell you, those two critters I sent you were SICK!
(I performed brain surgery several times long ago and far away. - well, kinda, I castrated hogs and cattle, making them think they were female)

Thanks Doc,

Bob

randyrat
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Bob contacted me and is sending the mold to me...Now I have to buy a 6 banger handles I broke my LEE handles by drilling them. I may need them for about 2-3 weeks because I'm waiting on a set of new handles..I will donate to the site and ship them to the next person when they line/sign up and let me know..