PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Check

jrayborn
06-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Well I got my .40 die from BT and sat down and swagged about 50 bullets last night until I broke my Lee Classic press, thought I was "smart" and re-machined the linkage removing all the "weak" points. Oh well part of learning...

Anyway since I can't make more bullets yet I figured I'd try loading some...

I am going to try 6.3 grains of Power Pistol, standard CCI SPP and 1.150 OAL. I don't really want to do today to my pistol/body what I did to my press last night so I was wondering if anyone see's any issues with this load? I have them seated as long as magazine will allow and this is just under the start load in the Lee manual for a 190 grain bullet, mine all weigh just shy of 185 grains so on the surface this seems very conservative.

I'd appreciate anyone's insight before I light these off, thanks!

Longrange
06-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I would start closer to 5.5 with power pistol that is going to be a stout load close to max according to my Hornady book.

docone31
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Lee has a fix for that.
I broke mine sizeing for paper patching. Snapped right off.

jrayborn
06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Longrange, thanks for the info, I have the Hornady manual too but originally wanted to use 2400. Hornady does not list that powder but Lee does so I was using the Lee data. Well lets just say that the starting load for 2400 (Lee Data) is listed as compressed in the data, but I found it to be as we say in Maine, Wicked compressed. So I decided to try and use Powder pistol because its the next slowest burning powder I have, my last choice being Unique. I ordinarily always check both books too, so anyway, thanks!

Docone31, I don't think there is a fix for this, I split it across the die holder...

docone31
06-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Hokay, you are right.
I just got a Lyman spartan on Ebay. 25$ new. I figuired the Classic Cast might not like Swaging.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
jrayborn,
what weight bullet did you swage ?

my pet Load for the 193 gr. Swage in 40 S&W is 6.1 gr. of AA #5

(I like AA#5 because it is a very dense powder,
meaning that it takes less space per weight,
and it turned out to be accurate in my gun.)

Approach any other loads for 40 S&W with caution !
since 1/3 of the bullet weight is brass which is much
lighter then Lead, it makes these bullets longer.
So when seating them to the Max. SAAMI OAL=1.135"
the case capacity is limited, Most starting charges for
other powders will be a compressed charge or dang close to it.
which could cause pressure issues.

are you going to load them longer than SAAMI specs ?
that will probably work in some guns.
Jon

PS. If someone is test shooting these in a Glock, and loading them from used brass of unknown history, whereas the possibly of it having been previously shot from a Glock, Be advised, that the potential "Glock Bulge" should be removed before sizing. Of course this is a given, but I believe it is even more important with these longer projectiles and possible high pressure issues.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh Yeah,
if you have the receipt for the press, and it's less than 2 years old.
LEE will replace it, but you have to ship the broken one to them.
Jon