PDA

View Full Version : time for a new scale?

hoosierlogger
06-06-2010, 12:34 AM
I think it might be time for me to look into a new electronic powder scale. I have an old Redding. It works fine, but dang the weights are touchy. I was working up a load for my new SRH one tenth of a grain at a time starting at 19.5 grainsup to 20.5 grains. It took me the better part of an hour and a half to load 50 .44Mag cases with 2400. I dropped some powder in the pan and trickled some in until I got to the weight I wanted. The problem occurred when I took the pan on and off the wire holder. I would inadvertently hit the small weight and move it throwing off my measures. I kept a real close eye on it after I figured out what was happening. Then I got almost done and noticed the big weight was moved up 5 whole grains from 20 to 25. I am glad I caught that one. I pulled all of the boolits and started over again. Man how I would like an electronic dispenser scale combo.

Rant over

Doc Highwall
06-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I would work in .2 grains increments and I would also weigh the cases to keep the spread as small as practical. Remember most of the scales are only accurate to +-.1 grain.

Maven
06-06-2010, 09:21 AM
hoosier...., Get a Lyman pistol powder measure (AccuMeaure?, the kind with interchangeable rotors), then use your scale to establish what charge of a specific powder a given rotor actually drops. Make a note of this and then use that rotor and powder to charge your cases. Trust me, it won't take a great deal of time to establish the charge wt./rotor and even less to charge your cases.