PDA

View Full Version : .45 swaged into .40 brass

pathfinder
06-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Woo Hoo, finally with much trial and error I swaged a 160 grain ak47 cast lead core in to a .40 s&w brass case that has benn cut deburred and aneiled. Im new to the sight and wanted to wait untill I had every thing dialed in before i started posting photos and threads. Now that Im ready to rock its too late to make a bunch. So crank em' out tomrrow and post my results. Id like to say a special thanks to Daywalker, Ammosmith.com and Iraqveteran8888. Couldent have done it without ya.:swagemine:

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-05-2010, 10:36 PM
interesting.
I can't wait to hear the shooting results.
why the shortened case ?
Jon

pathfinder
06-06-2010, 09:00 AM
That was the way one of the other members on here did it. His handel is Daywalker. I highly recomend watching his vids. Im very new to the wonderful world of swaging and if my next statement isnt true I hope some of the more experienced members will correct me. The reason I cut the brass is that the .451 core seating punch will not fit inside the .40 s&w brass. Also this gives the boolit a soft/hollow point.

ETG
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
The reason I cut the brass is that the .451 core seating punch will not fit inside the .40 s&w brass.

That is correct - I use a 40cal seating punch when making 44mag from 40 cal brass. You need to trim the cases a little longer so the brass is slightly above where the ogive begins - so you won't have lead against the barrel. You may have to adjust your core weight but you will find the combo where you can use the 45 core seating punch and it will bottom out right before it hits the top of the brass case. Then when you swage it you will have a lead tip and brass above the ogive. I have had the best results with a flat nose rather than a hollow point - more weight is a shorter bullet.

pathfinder
06-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate all the help I can get.

06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
really cool thanks for sharing. This is what i'm looking at getting into.

Daywalker
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Good Job pathfinder. I am working on shortening my lead tips on my hp doing different weights. Congrats on your first success..

My 200 grainers I have been loading them with 5 grains of unique just to test. I am going to bump up the grains on my next trip out...

pathfinder
06-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks Daywalker, you were my inspiration!