PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

shootstraight
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Hello Everyone

I am new here and new to casting. Been reloading for about 25 years. Never had the desire jump into boolit casting. But an old timer from my gun club/range showed me how he does it and before long had me doing a bunch and I guess I'm hooked.
So, I am gathering the gear I need and hope to try it on my own in the near future. But my question today is this product from Rotometals--Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy Ingot (2%-Tin,-6%-Antimony-And-92%-Lead), is it a good way to begin. I will be casting 9mm 356 120gn TC out of 2 Lee DC molds. I want a fairly hard bullet so as not to lead up my 9mm pistols.
Am I heading in the right direction?

thanks
Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Well Shootstraight, you'll probably get a bunch of answers, but personally if I could come up with the lead alloy wheel wts. that is all you need.

I use straight WW for 310gr boolits in my .44 at 1300fps (gas checked) all the way down to .38 loads ahead of 2.5gr to 4 gr of Bullseye.

I quench in cold water directly from the mold, but cast for years without the quench and did fine.

In handguns, I cast for .40, 45acp, 38/357, 44 and recently started casting for the 45/70.

Use the cheapest metal you can find - WW - and only sweeted the alloy with just a SMALL amount of tin if needed.

Nothing against the Rotometals, just want to keep things as low budget as possible.:lovebooli

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

cbrick
06-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the forum shootstraight,

To answer your question, yes, the Roto Metals hardball would be a great way to go for the 9mm if the cost isn't prohibitive to you.

Roto metals is new, virgin metals, not blended from scrap so it is high quality ""clean"" alloy.

Some people cast strictly for the cost saving and some to make the best they can with their own hands. It all depends on what you want to accomplish vs what you can afford.

Rick

wistlepig1
06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Welcome, Try tire stores, dealerships, and junkyards for Wheel weights (WW). If your lucky or have a friend in any of these places, you might get them for free or low cost. WW's mixed with lead 50/50 work good in most pistols at low Vel. I don't shoot 9mm so can't be much there but have been loading for 38,357,45acp for more years than I want to admit to and been casting off and on for many years. But in the short time I have been a member here I have learned more than I had learned on my own. When you get time read some of the stickys, there is a world of info in them. good shooting

PS ask for help when you need it

Ferdinand
06-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Robert,
I just got into casting about 8 months ago. You're off to a good start. Sourcing lead from Roto will let you focus on learning how to use your melt pot and mold. Down the road, as mentioned, you may want to consider scrounging for lead from tire shops and other outlets. In order to recycle ww or other lead, you will need additional equipment, like a larger melt pot, perhaps a different heat source, ingot molds, ladle, and some other stuff. Worry about that later and learn how to cast with good quality lead from Roto for now. I don't think that you'll have any problem with leading at 9mm velocity. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

shootstraight
06-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks to all for your comments and the warm welcome.
I will continue down the path I'm going and when I actually
start I'll let ya all know how it goes.

Robert

fredj338
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
The good thing about known alloy, like Rotometals, is it removes one variable from casting. Not a bad way to go for newbs. The downside, cost of course. I am fine w/ straight ww, air cooled or water dropped. I also use pure lead & tin for LHP & have lino too, for blending.

shootstraight
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
fredj338--Precisely what I was thinking...I have been reading as much as I can here and thought I could eliminate some of the potential problems by buying my initial purchase of lead from Rotometals and hopefully get off to a good start.
A friend gave me his old Lee casting furnace with some lead in it. I am still waiting for the rest of my gear to arrive as well as the lead from Rotometals, but I tested the furnace out this afternoon. It heats up within 10-15 minutes and liquidfied the lead in it as well as the 3 lead boolits I put in the pot before I turned it on. I tested the bottom pour spout also and it worked fine with a slight drip, which I understand to be quite normal.
I am anxiously awaiting the rest of my boolit casting stuff.

Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM
"Lead bullet heads"

Boy, do you have a lot to learn, good thing you have plugged in with all us very very smart fellers, as you have a loooong way to go!:razz:

First, get the wording correct, "B O O L I T S", say it slowly and you'll get it right away.

Not, no never, never "bullets":groner: unless you may be refering to the "J" word.

Second, ---- "bullet heads"?????????????

I've heard of bone heads, skin heads, dead heads, red heads YES!!, flat heads and even FAT heads, but "bullet heads"??:kidding:

Nope, not "bullet heads"!

we have boolits, cases or brass, powder, primers, cartridges which is the complete unit including, boolit:cbpour:, cartridge case/brass, powder and primer, but no bullet heads.

Hope this really helps you out!

Probably a bunch of the regulars have also benefited in the remeadial lesson also. Can't never know toooooo much ya know!:bigsmyl2:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Crusty---thank you and please forgive me---boolits--boolits---boolits! :lol:
I will sit on my boolit casting furnace as punishment---OK? [smilie=b:

:-)
Robert

MJR007
06-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I have sold much tin to RotoMetals. Ryan and the crew are very good people. You can not go wrong with them. Good luck.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
WOW, you are one fast learner, Shootstraight!

I figured ya for a fast study[smilie=l: !!

Maybe a bit more to the point, THERE IS!!! a wealth of info on this forum.

Some of it is even good.:bigsmyl2:

Then there are the guys, like the Crusty Deary Ol'Coot that you really must watch out for.8-)8-)

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Woo Hoo....my lead arrived from RotoMetals today! :bigsmyl2:
The Post Office called me asked me to pick it up as they really didn't want to
lug it---lol----so I was happy to go get it.
I have gathered up all the rest of the gear I needed.
So, if we get a nice rain free day Sat. or Sunday.....I should be casting boolits
for the first time on my own. :D

Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Yep, give the Rotometal a go, that will give you a taste of what it all about.

Then, give WW a try. I, plus many others have cast/shot thousands and thousands of plain Ol'WW.

They will and are becoming harder to get, but get em while or if you can and at the VERY MOST add a very small amount of tin to the mix. More then 1/2 or 1% added to the WW is just wasted money and frankly seldom needed.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot:castmine:

shootstraight
06-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Crusty--what do you recommend as far as how long to wait to size and how long to wait to lube and how long to wait to shoot them cast boolits I hope to be casting tomorrow?

thanks
Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh My ShootStraight, I hope someone with more smarts then I, comes in to answer your question.

For years back I have just cast, when I got around to it I sized and lubed and then some time later I get to the loading.

So, we are both going to learn something here.

For a number of years, I have water quenched my boolits, directly from the mold into cold water.

My understanding is, that this speeds up the hardning process.

Now however, I have moved in to another area of casting for a 45/70 with which I plan to hunt and am allowing to air cool.

There is a cause an effect of hardning depending on the alloy in use, so it will be interesting.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Crusty--I plan on water quenching also right from the mold.
And locally I am being told 2 weeks to size them and right after that OK to lube.....

Robert

WHITETAIL
06-12-2010, 07:34 AM
shootstraight, Welcome to the forum!
And keep asking, these guys are the greatest.:lovebooli

shootstraight
06-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks WHITETAIL...

The rain today has changed my plans....no boolit casting today for me......:evil::(

Robert

shootstraight
06-13-2010, 05:16 PM
The showers and the constant threat of rain kept me from casting boolits once again today!
Oh well, hopefully sometime this week if we get a sunny day when I am free for a few hours....we'll see.

Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Not sure how your set up, but if you can get under cover, a rainy day is good for casting.

I like to cast back from the opening of my 12x12, overhead shop door.

I set up the old Colman stove on a good piece of 3/4" plywood back from the door, and set a 20" window fan, setting on a stool, on the other side of the table from where I stand.

The fan blows away from my work station, pulling air past me, over the lead pot/stove and away.

In this way, I can get inside and still have good ventalation. This same system worked just as well inside a typical overhead garage opening.

Anyway, hope you get to cast soon!

Just got word today that my new LBT mold will be headed this way within the next day or so! [smilie=w::cbpour::bigsmyl2::castmine:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey Crusty

Sounds like you have a nice set up there. I'm jealous. :smile:
I have no garage or other out building so I must cast outside.
And that means I need a rain-free day. Today looks like Sat. and Sun. here--rain.
But tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. So, maybe tomorrow afternoon
is the time....I sure hope so.

Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Good luck, and KEEP DRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP EM COMING!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Echo
06-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Welcome to the forum, SS. Water dropping is probably not necessary. Boolet size is much more important for reducing leading than boolet hardness - make sure your boos are at least .001 larger than the bore, or cylinder throat, to keep leading to a minimum.

johnlaw484
06-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Actually I do wish ya'll would find another source for your lead and leave those nasty, dirty, flithy, crusty old wheel weight alone.
You guys are driving up the price. I used to get them for nothing just get 'em out of the way. Then you guys started offering to buy them, now if I can find them I have to pay for 'em. SO You guys need to buy Roto Metals or get some other source for your lead and leave the wheel weights for me.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Ya, I know what ya mean, now even the guys from the :lol: far East - other side of Montaaaaaaaaana - are scarfing up my WW supply![smilie=l:

NOW, KNOCK THAT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kidding::kiddi ng:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Well, it was a sunny, blue sky day here today.
And that means I got to do my initial bit of boolit casting today.:smile:
Finally!

It went pretty well. My early ones came out a little wrinkled and then the later ones looked nice.
I cast for about an hour using 2 DC Lee molds. Once I got going I ended up with 126 acceptable boolits.
And no visit from the tinsel fairy ;)

I stopped when my pot got down to about a third filled. I wanted to cast more but I didn't know if I could at that point drop in a bunch more lead. I thought that would cool down the pot a little and then if i waited for it to heat up again--the molds would cool off. So, I stopped at that point.

But I was pleased and thought it was a good first attempt.

Robert

MJR007
06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Well done.

fryboy
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
congrats !
i cast until about 1/2 or so then add more alloy any lower than that and it seems i'm waiting forever to come back to temp , i rest the molds on the pot lip to keep them warm ( with a boolit in the cavity) and while thaz heating back up i roll my castings for culls , dont worry amigo u'll get the hang of it ,if u rest ur mold on the lip it stays warm perhaps not as hot as when casting but it wont need that terrible warm up time again ;)

gerrycan
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Congrats on a good start but I would go buy a good respirator mask and use it to prevent your blood lead level rising[don,t ask how I know] Welcome, Gerry.

shootstraight
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
MJR007--thanks for the kind words.
fryboy--good suggestions--thanks!
gerrycan--thanks for your suggestion...I will look for one. Does it help that I am casting in the great outdoors?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Shootstraight,

Just IMHO, but if you are out doors, no need to be using a resporator.

Any concern, use the 20" window fan as I suggested earlier, pulling air past you, and you will never have a problem.

Should a person be careful with lead, yes without a doubt, but the media has way over played what is mostly a non-issue, even for those of use who cast lots of boolits.

There has been lots of info on the subject for way long enough that any thinking person will have no issues.

The few, the greenies and the media are the reason for much of the miss-information thrown about

I know you said you share a yard, but if their nice enough and you don't try it at 5:00 am, using an old Colman gas stove with a 25 - 35 lb lead pot will really help you out.

My lead pot is an old castiron cooking pot and it is large enough that I can continually cast for as long as my old legs and back will allow, adding ingets and sprews back into the pot as I cast to maintain the needed level of alloy.

Don't rush into things overly fast, you have already made a good start, so enjoy and stay safe.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-16-2010, 04:28 PM
thanks Crusty.....
no shared yard...just no garage and no outbuildings.

I'm just using the 10lb casting furnace by Lee.
I may go bigger in the near future.

Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Even'in ShootSraight,

Don't know where ya live, but to bad ya can't make to my place Thursday or Friday.

Need to try out my new LBT 350gr "LFN" mold which arrived today!

Mak'in boolits for my 45/70 and wouldn't mind a partner for the session.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Crusty--thanks for the invite...I'll be there.:kidding:

Wish I could. We are only about 2500 miles away...[smilie=l: Would love to help though.

But my wife and always have wished for a Sawtooth vacation, which of course (with current economic conditions) must remain a dream for sometime longer. :-(

Robert

shootstraight
06-19-2010, 03:28 PM
A nice sunny day here...86 degrees.
After doing a oreintation at my local range for new members.....
it was time for my second attempt at boolit casting.

Things went a little better than my first time. I got the furnace and the molds hotter and that gave me more boolits without wrinkles :bigsmyl2:

My old, second hand and well used Lee 10lb furnace started leaking pretty good this time....I'm glad I ordered from Midway a new 20lb Lee furnace...should be here early next week.
I put in the pot a full ingot of my hardball lead from Rotometals and it just about filled the pot when liquidfied.

Funny thing is I casted till my pot was getting real low (figuring I may not be using it again) and in about an hour I produced the exact same numbers of useable boolits as my first time---126.
I couldn't achieve that again if I tried. :D

Robert

myg30
06-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Robert , I dont speed cast either. Only do it when the time is good to spend at least an hour or so. I know its breaking the rule but ....I do put my bad boolits, drippings,spruces back in the pot after I get a bunch cast. I dont water drop so its not an issue. NEVER put wet boolits into moltin lead! I leave the mold on top of the pot to keep warm and spoon my scrap into the pot. A layer of saw dust on top helps keep the oxidizing down with my fan blowing from behind me. I get more boolits from the same mix as I have to blend mine where you did a good thing to buy a known #2 already blend lead.
Im fairly new to this and picked up tips from here from some great guys and the learning never stops cause someone is always comming up with some else to try.
Be safe and good casting,

Mike

shootstraight
06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Mike

Thanks for sharing your experiences and procedure.
I am curious if one does not water drop the boolits what do you do?
Just drop them into a metal container or something else?
I am told there is no real advantage to dropping them into the water.
I do so because that's how the older gent who showed how he cast,
does it.

Robert

myg30
06-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Water dropping will make them harder, yes. In the winter months, I set a soft towel or old rag,shirt anything 100%cotton on my bench top and drop them on it, glance them over quick and the rejects go back into pot with the spruce. In the summer hot weather I just wet the towel or dampen it. PLEASE NOTE Never drop a wet boolit back into the molten pot. I push the rejects off the towel and they dry real quick BUT take CAUTION !
I understand putting spruces,rejects back into the pot changes the temp some but such a small amount didnt seem to change the temp any more than the +/- range of the thermostat heating cycle on and off. If you cast at a low temp, than doing it might give you some trouble.
I do this only because I stretch out the amount of boolits from that mix.
I opt for softer boolits cause I dont drive them near max and leading seem to be more of a sizing issue than hardness issue.

You will find happiness and your own way of casting before you know it and enjoy no leading,tight groups and have lots of enjoyment doing it. You have less to experiment with cause you purchased good lead and mixing is out of the equation. Have fun, keep cool.

Mike

shootstraight
06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your kind words and good advice, Mike.

Much appreciated
Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
ShootStraight,

YES!!, Quenching Boolits directly from the mold WILL make them harder!

That is one more tool in the boolit casters tool box, and can be used as needed.

When I air cool, I like to drop the hot boolits onto a heavy bath towel which has been folded into at least 4 thicknesses.

On water quenching, I have found the boolits to slightly dent each other even dropping into a 5 gal. bucket of water.

Some say to float a sponge and drop the boolits onto the sponge, but I like to float a large bath towel in the bucket, and as it settles to the bottom pull it back toward the surface with a stick or??.

By allowing the boolits to hit and slid down the wet toweling, they have cooled enough to prevent damage by the time they touch bottom..

I typically cold water quench, but in my casting for my 45/70 I am going with air cooled boolits due the the fact that I wish my hunting boolits to be a bit softer then my normal handgun product.

Lots of good information here on the forum, but another good read is Veral Smith's (Lead Bullet Technology) book about casting and cast bullets in general.

He is a crusty Ol'Coot, -- doesn't like "boolits", only bullets --, just like some of the rest of us, but he makes great molds and has been around long enough to have an idea about what it is all about.

Will his thoughts differ from that of others? yes in some cases, but he and his writtings are another tool to be considered and learned from.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

shootstraight
06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Crusty--Yeah, I have been using the floating sponge in a pan of water routine.
I am interested in doing it without the water if possible.
I suppose I would be OK even in the summer just dropping them onto a many layered folded towel, no? The water kinda makes things a bit messy and prevents me from dropping any poor ones back into the pot.
I will try to eventually get a copy of Veral Smith's book. Sounds like I would benefit from it.

thanks