PDA

View Full Version : simple hollow pointing

rollingblock
06-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Drill through boolit seating stem with 1/8 drill and just drill the boolit when boolit is seated. It took all of 5mins to drill the stem and the normal operation of the die is unaffected. I had a bit of runout as I just did this freehand with a hand held drill but the hole is centered at the end that counts. The hole must be drilled in the boolit slowly in several stages because there's nowhere for the swarf to go and the drill bit quickly becomes clogged if its not withdrawn frequently.
I wouldn't like to do a thousand like this but for a dozen its simple and cheap.

Charlie Two Tracks
06-05-2010, 12:24 PM
very good idea. Thanks.

rollingblock
06-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Another benefit is a lot of dies of different calibers use the same seating stem so you only need to alter one to have the ability to hollow point more than just one of your rifles.

sagacious
06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
RB,
The bit must be oiled when drilling lead. That prevents the swarf from clogging, and the cut is much cleaner/smoother and easier. You'll be able to drill the hole in one shot if the bit is oiled. Almost any light oil works-- try it and you'll see. Good luck.

rollingblock
06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the tip SAGACIOUS. Certainly improves the drilling but there still is not enough room in there for the swarf and it can jam. Might work better if the seating stem was shortened to allow the drill flutes to be able to clear the swarf out the top.

sagacious
06-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Might work better if the seating stem was shortened to allow the drill flutes to be able to clear the swarf out the top.
Exactly. The twist rate on your bit should preclude clogging. I make some items that require drilling lead, and I get no clogging with an oiled bit, but my bit is exposed and the swarf can clear itself. Good luck.

Centaur 1
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Looking at your setup I don't think that it's necessary to have the entire length of the guide hole to be 1/8". If you were to open up the back end of the hole to 3/16" or 1/4" for about half the depth. This would allow the drill bit to be guided straight but also give extra clearance for the drilled lead to escape without clogging the hole.

pathfinder
06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Great idea for getting the hollow point perfectly centered.

jr81452
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Try one of these. should solve your clogging problem.

long shank 1/8" drill bit (http://www.biscotoolsupply.com/home/bis/page_447_29/long_drill_bits_extension_drill_bits.html)

rollingblock
06-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeah I've done that Centaur, works great, thanks.