PDA

View Full Version : odd scope

flounderman
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I saw a scope with a plastic cone with a rounded end on the cone, sticking out the front of the scope. this must be some kind of lazer or red dot, and it seems I have seen it before, but does anyone know what it is and how it works?

cheese1566
06-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Can you see a small thin colored line (red) in the center of the protruding clear plastic cone?

If I recall these were the very early "red dots".

All mechanical and optical, no electronics. I think they were based on fiber optic type principals.

But I could be wrong...:(

jhrosier
06-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Not a scope.
It sounds like the old Weaver Qwik-Point reflex sight.
One eye sees the red dot and the other superimposes the target on to the image of the dot.
It was not a huge success.

Jack

Mk42gunner
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Not a scope.
It sounds like the old Weaver Qwik-Point reflex sight.
One eye sees the red dot and the other superimposes the target on to the image of the dot.
It was not a huge success.

Jack

The only one of those that I can remember seeing in use was mounted on a 16 guage Model 12 Winchester that a young Second Class checked into the armory at PT Mugu. I thought it ruined the looks and balance of a decent bird gun.

Robert

flounderman
06-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I have to shoot left handed because of a damaged right eye. I wonder how this would work shooting right handed with a shotgun? normally, I would say it was just in the road. probably just have to try it and see what happened. I have one of the old nadar sights that came in a box of stuff, but it looks like an obstruction, instead of a sighting aid. anybody ever try one of them?

Brithunter
06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
The original one was the Single point SP25 and was meant to military use. Early 1970's if I recall correctly.

George Tucker
06-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Weaver made them for Rifles and Shotguns, very quick to use, someone must like them, they dont last very long on Ebay, no batteries to wear out, George.

pietro
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
The QuickPoint was the first of what's known as "occluded" sights - sights that cannot be seen through, since they are only backgrounds for a reticle like a red dot or circle/etc.

When the occluded sight is used, both eyes must remain open - when that happens, the eye not occluded by, or behind, the sight will see the target while the occluded eye sees only the reticle.

The brain superimposes the separate images each eye sees - so, if one eye is kaput, the sight will not work.