PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Base and Lube

Slick Pilot
06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a 9mm mold from Lee that has a bevel base. The problem is that my RCBS Lubri-sizer squirts lube into the space of the bevel so the base now has lube all over it.

Any fix for this?

I have considered reaming off the bevel and making it a flat base, but would rather not unless there is not another fix or technique.

Calamity Jake
06-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't load BB boolits so don't have that problem.

Some on here put an inverted GC in the size die then place the BB boolit on it then size/lube, others use the foam plate from supermarket meat packing.

You need to wipe the bases anyway after lubing so just give the boolit a little angled twist on a paper towel.

I have the GB Mihec 359-147 6 cav. it is a BB. The first time I can get on a milling machine at work the
BB wil be gone.

GBertolet
06-04-2010, 08:42 AM
One solution is to machine a cup in the top of the punch inside the die. This allows the bevel of the bullet to seat recessed here, permitting the sealing of the full diameter of the bullet in the die, insulating the bevel base. I saw this in a NRA publication.

cheese1566
06-04-2010, 08:52 AM
I found a small foam disc cut from an old casing works OK. Use a chamfer/debur tool to sharpen an old case. Use it to cut small foam discs from foam coffee cups and the like. I found that solid shelf liner foam I found at Menards works quite well. Experiment to find what works good for you.
They don't last forever and need replacing.
Somebody also suggested once to place the foam sheet between the sizer die and bottom of bullet to punch the disc, instead of using the sharpened shell casing.
Kind of irritating, but it works.
I am now seeking a Star for the ease and speed of sizing and to help remedy this irritation.

JIMinPHX
06-04-2010, 04:53 PM
When I lube bevel base boolits, I usually just set the boolit stop on the luber little lower & make sure that I move the boolit down into the home position quickly before cranking the lube injection handle, & then up quickly after that. I also make sure that I don't run the luber too hot.

geargnasher
06-04-2010, 05:08 PM
+1 Jim, and I plug one layer of holes (bottom layer) in most of my Lyman dies with very short pieces of tin plumbing solder so the lube only comes out on one plane. The biggest issue I've had with BBs getting lube on them is UNDERSIZED boolits not sealing in the die and letting lube squirt below the bottom driving band.

Gear