PDA

View Full Version : *barrel mount* vernier sight ???

S.R.Custom
06-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know of a barrel mounted vernier/ladder peep sight that could be used or modified to be used on a 45/70 Ruger #1?

NickSS
06-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Remington made such a sight for their rolling block sporting rifles and also the buffington sight also has a peep hole and is adjustable. However, If you are talking about one that is screw adjustable you are probably out of luck. I did buy a smith sight that fit into a dovetail on my Puma 92 and I drilled a small hole in the ladder sight bar under the V notch. This works quite well on my rifle for a better sight picture for longer ranges.

excess650
06-04-2010, 09:08 AM
MVA makes a knock-off of the Remington barrel mounted sight.

There is the "Krag sight" that was used on Krags and Winchester Muskets, and I happen to have one in my sight box;)....somewhere...its a pretty long and tall sight.

You might also consider the Enfield sight. It is a peep when laid down, and a ladder style peep when flipped up. This sight isn't nearly as tall or bulky as the Krag sight, but has no provision for windage. The ladder has roughly 1.17" of vertical travel, and the elevator has a spring loaded lever that positively engages notches cut into the side of the ladder.

358wcf
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
My vintage 1971 M94 Winchester 30wcf musket came with a fold-up musket sight with a standard v sight for shorter ranges, and folded up like a military sight with slide adjustable elevation for longer ranges. Not too hard to imagine it with a "peep hole" on the slide to aid in sighting at long ranges. Come to think of it, my Martini Cadets also have the similar foldup arrangement, but they are a bit more sophiticated with vernier, screw adjustments for both windage and elevations. Those old London-made rifles are amazing!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello, S.R. Custom,

This is just IMHO, but from personal experience I do not like or enjoy shooting my RUGER #1 - 45/70 with iron sights.

I had thought of one of the scope mount type peep sights, but because of the low head position needed to use this sight or the factory iron sights, the stock comb is VERY!!!!!!!!!!!! hard on the face, even with loads in the 1600fps range.

If the vernier type sight allowed for a MUCH higher head position, it might be OK, as use of a scope in the standard factory mounts places the head high enough to do away with the damage to the cheek bone caused by a low head position.

The factory irons seemed to shoot very low, so the highter vernier peep - if available - might really help in that area also.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

S.R.Custom
06-04-2010, 04:21 PM
MVA makes a knock-off of the Remington barrel mounted sight.

Indeed they do. And it might be ticket in the situation if I don't find something with a windage adjustment. (The problem with the Ruger is the front sight is dovetailed longitudinally, meaning there is no front sight windage adjustment.)

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/images/2008/2008_roughnready.jpg

excess650
06-04-2010, 07:16 PM
The Krag sight has windage adjustment, and was also used on some of the early Winchester Model 52s. Its 3.335" long and has 1.9" vertical travel for the peep, but has notches lower and higher! It mounts to a round barrel with screws, but appears to be adaptable to the quarter rib.

I'm looking at what I was told was a Martini Cadet sight that has longitudinal screw for elevation, and also windage. The rear is a notch, but could have a flat piece with aperture added . It appears to have about .62" of vertical travel. This one was also originally meant for a round barrel, but could be adapted to the quarter rib. Its 2.8" long.

1st photo Martini Cadet sight
2nd photo Krag sight
3rd photo Enfield sight

S.R.Custom
06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
The Martini sight is slick; I may incorporate that into one of my own rifles at some point.

After talking to the guy, and discussing my ideas on windage, he's pretty much sold on the MVA R&R sight...

What we're going to do for windage on the MVA sight is weld two dovetail filler blocks to the bottom of the sight, centered under each of the screw holes. Corresponding dovetails will be cut into the flat rib/block of the Ruger, such that the fit of the dovetail fillers will be finger-loose. Two holes will be drilled & tapped in the dovetail blocks, aligned with the holes in the sight, so that set-screws can be threaded through the holes and tightened down onto the rib. Adjustment will be to loosen the set screws, move the sight from side to side in the dovetails, and tighten again.

Hard to imagine, I know. I'll have pics when I do it. First comes the two weeks waiting for MVA to make the sight...

rhbrink
06-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Sure would be interested in seeing that MVA setup when you get'er done S.R.Custom

excess650 I like the looks of the Enfield sight can those be bought somewhere?

excess650
06-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Sure would be interested in seeing that MVA setup when you get'er done S.R.Custom

excess650 I like the looks of the Enfield sight can those be bought somewhere?

The sights were all bought at gunshows, and possibly all from the same guy. The "Enfield sight" (1917 Enfield)is the least bulky of those pictured, and he had several. I'll see if I can find his business card.

skeettx
06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Hello
Not a tall vernier sight but interesting

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.html?Peep sight.htm~maindeal

Then click on peep sight

Mike

2Tite
06-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Buffington sight off the Trapdoor Springfield gets my vote. The rear sight off the 03 Springfield is similar and available as well.