PDA

View Full Version : star top punch (bottom punch..)

mike in co
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
why not make a top punch that had a punch length with a shoulder. the punch length would put the lube groove of the boolit at the holes in the sizing die ?

threaded section with an under cut as it closes in on the step, .5 long .7 od step, punch just under boolit dia and just long enough that when the step stops on the top of the sizer, the boolit lube groove is at the holes in the sizer ??

screw it up against the ram body, when the .5x.7od hits the sizer, the linkage is aligned to actuate the lube pump....

a unique punch per boolit design instead of adjusting a universal punch.

yes no maybe ???/

i'm gonna build one unless someone can say why not......

mike in co

dragonrider
06-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/44%20mag%20size%20die/IMG_0138.jpg

It's what I do, each die and punch are boolit specific. This one is for 44 cal.

No_1
06-03-2010, 06:12 PM
It actually is a great idea and I don't see why it could not be done with the exception of having one for each boolit you cast. I guess once you get to the point of figuring out which molds are the "all time keepers" would be the point I would make them for specific boolits.

R.

dragonrider
06-03-2010, 09:48 PM
The best advantage of it is that I can change dies and punches and be lubing a different boolit in 90 seconds or less. Remove punch, remove die, insert new die and punch and size and lube a different caliber. No adjusting needed. I began doing this about a year and a half ago. It works so well I put my Lyman 450 under the bench, I will never use it again.
PM me if you have questions.

mike in co
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
bingo....made the first of many more.........

the only issue i see is to get the solid step section the right length.

it must allow the ram to go just beyond dead center, so the swing in the linkage can operate the lube plunger.....
( i went to far and will have to make a small spacer for my first)

dang this is good.....lol

(

MT Chambers
06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
How do you get around having to add and remove shot to plug/unplug holes? If you're like me, I have about a dozen molds for the 45/70, a dozen for the .45 Colt's, and a dozen or more for the .44 Mag., does that mean you need 36 sizers and punches just for those 3 cals.?

mike in co
06-04-2010, 05:26 PM
How do you get around having to add and remove shot to plug/unplug holes? If you're like me, I have about a dozen molds for the 45/70, a dozen for the .45 Colt's, and a dozen or more for the .44 Mag., does that mean you need 36 sizers and punches just for those 3 cals.?

cause i dont have a dozen for any one gun.

my 44 has 2 both similar, but have not measured.
my 45 has 1
m 9 has 1
9mak has 1
my 40 has 1
and none for my 10 at this time.

i have gone out of my way to get to single when possible for pistol.

rifle is a little diff..but i have three rcbs sizers..and rifle is low volume.

the star is great in high volume....

blikseme300
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/44%20mag%20size%20die/IMG_0138.jpg

It's what I do, each die and punch are boolit specific. This one is for 44 cal.

The simplicity is brilliant! I make my own dies and punches so this idea will be used soon. I do high volume pistol casting/loading/shooting using multiple calibers so this idea will save time when switching calibers.

Thanks for sharing your pics, dragonrider.

Bliksem