PDA

View Full Version : Explosion at Nosler plant!!

Jim
06-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Published June 03, 2010

| Associated Press

BEND, Ore. (AP) — Authorities are investigating the cause of an explosion that leveled part of a bullet-manufacturing plant in Bend, Ore., shaking the ground and rattling windows several blocks away.

The blast happened Wednesday at the Nosler Inc. plant, which makes hunting ammunition.

Authorities say the plant's employees evacuated minutes before the explosion, after a worker saw smoke and pulled a fire alarm. No injuries were reported, but at least one worker's car was buried in debris.

KTVZ-TV reports that witnesses say the blast happened in an ammunition testing area.

Bend Fire Marshal Jeff Bond says the explosion and fire caused about 10 percent of the 80,000-square-foot building to collapse. He says an extensive investigation will be conducted by the fire department, law enforcement agencies, and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

m.chalmers
06-03-2010, 05:20 AM
In other news......
Ammo prices hit an all time high because of shortages...........

missionary5155
06-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Good morning
If nothing else it appears the Safety SOP worked. That worker that gave the warning should be commended.

JIMinPHX
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
In other news......
Ammo prices hit an all time high because of shortages...........

That's old news. The smiling Kenyan has been in office for a while now.

Hardcast416taylor
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Then I guess it is wise without saying that Nosler uses Partitions?Robert

Harter66
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Very punny!!

+1 for following the SOP !

R.C. Hatter
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
:coffee: I can vouch for the safety practices at the Nosler plant in Bend, OR. A few years back, I was very fortunate to get a one on one, personal guided tour of the whole plant, including their custom rifle production. This was at a time when tours were no longer being given. I was very impressed by the cleanliness, and order of the whole plant. I was allowed to question any of the employees about their particular jobs and found the workers there were enthusiastic and experienced, which was equally impressive. The Nosler family runs a first class operation, so I'm not surprised that the workers got out after the alarm sounded and no one was hurt by the explosion that is suspected to have occurred in their test tunnel area.

leadman
06-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Recently there was another explosion at an ammo plant back east May 14. It was in New Hampshire. The plant made muzzlerloaders also, MDM. Two people were killed.

Terrorists plots?? or ????

pmeisel
06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Glad no one got hurt. Wonder what blew. And when they'll be back in production....

lylejb
06-04-2010, 01:43 AM
The Portland, Or news is saying " an employee saw smoke in a pile of gunpowder and pulled the fire alarm. Minuites ( one report said 8) later, there was an explosion"

Well, that's either some REALLY slow powder or a good example of the reporting we get around here.

Adam10mm
06-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Problem is gunpowder burns, not explodes.

dale2242
06-04-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.ktvz.com/news/23772491/detail.html#
Check this link....dale

MtGun44
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a large quantity of propellant powder went up. The whoof sort of low pressure
explosion the "lifted the roof and put it back down" indicates propellant's low pressure build
rate when uncontained, more of a push than real explosives that burn hundreds of times
faster and shatter stuff rather than pushing it around.

I'll bet money that whatever caused it eventually reached a powder storage area and a
large qty of powder went up as the primary effect.

The fact the there was time for everyone to get out means that the origin was somewhere
away from the large quantity of powder, it took some time to evacuate, so likely it took
several minutes for the fire to reach the main supply of powder.

All speculation based on the "media facts", of course. We often find out that the "media
facts" are not factual.

I'm still impressed as heck that they got everyone out, that is really great.

Bill

Multigunner
06-05-2010, 02:55 AM
One story I saw said the fire sarted in the "balistic tunnel", by which I guess they mean an enclosed shooting area for testing bullets and loads.

On several occasions in the past I've heard of fires caused by ignition of embedded unburnt powder granules in sound baffles.

Elkins45
06-05-2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.ktvz.com/news/23772491/detail.html#
Check this link....dale

The comments section is interesting. It appears one of the loonies came out of the woodwork and lots of shooters slapped her back down.

MtGun44
06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Really good news that they recovered their computers (any business has almost all their
important operating, ordering, payroll, inventory, etc. on computers now) and that the
production machines were not seriously damaged. They said they were going to be
back in production in 30 days.

Good to hear.

Bill

buck1
06-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I just want to see the cartridge they were testing! LOL

fatelk
06-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I wonder if the custom shop will be open when I get over that way in a month or so. I like to stop in and buy a bag or two of their "seconds". I don't know why they are seconds, really, they shoot great.

I'm sure glad nobody got hurt. That sort of thing could get bad real quick.

AZ-Stew
06-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I wonder if the custom shop will be open when I get over that way in a month or so. I like to stop in and buy a bag or two of their "seconds". I don't know why they are seconds, really, they shoot great.

I'm sure glad nobody got hurt. That sort of thing could get bad real quick.

Good to hear they sell "seconds". I bought some from Sierra many years ago when they were in Commiefornia and still have some. .224 50 and 55 gr SPs that shot as well as their "firsts". One of their workers had dumped a bin of 55s into a bin of 50s. It was too expensive for them to sort the two, so they sold them as "seconds". They were purchased by the pound and I sorted them visually by length.

My employer may send me up there this summer to do some training. I'll be sure to stop by and see what's available.

Regards,

Stew

WallyM3
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I move that Congress begin an investigation of "Jane's" whereabouts before, during and after the explosion and that her connections to Leftist Dingbat Organizations be thoroughly probed. (see Post # 15)

Any seconds?

At least Nosler isn't Government run. They'll probably recover and rebuild in record time.

Rangefinder
06-05-2010, 09:57 PM
KTVZ-TV reports that witnesses say the blast happened in an ammunition testing area.

Uh--guys? I think that one was a little over-charged.....

WallyM3
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I have friends like that....

TCLouis
06-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Saeed and gang must have brought the 577 tyranosauer(sp) to let them test fire.

Hip's Ax
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Saeed and gang must have brought the 577 tyranosauer(sp) to let them test fire.

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

376Steyr
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Does anybody know how smokeless powder is transported and stored at a small ammunition plant such as Nosler was running? I would think it would be in something like 55 gallon plastic drums, but that is only a guess.

MtGun44
06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I do know that at the Lake City plant it is delivered in very small containers, like 4 lbs if I
remember correctly. The plant has a well known powder company package up their powder
into small containers, apparently as a safety measure.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have hundreds of pounds of powder in big bins or
whatever. . . . . .

Bill

PatMarlin
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Partition is what limited the blast.