PDA

View Full Version : finally recieved my lee 1oz slug mold.

mac1911
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I finally recieved it and was able to cast some tonight.
I used the pure lead as directed or at least the ignots that make the best thud rather than the pingding of my wheel weight ignots. Yes thats how I
determined my alloy for the time being.
I ran about 30 slugs before I needed to clean up.......A few pics.
The first few where wrinkled and possible cold mold ??? I got the temp of the lead stabalized @ 675 I was out doors and this was getting harder as a breeze kicked up. The last 10 or so came out very good for my first time casting boolits/slugs

the pictures show 1. from left to right front to rear begining cast ending cast

2&3 some of the worst some of the better. I weighed 10 and they all came in over 1oz ranged from 1.0105-1.0228. I cant find my calipers to measure @ this time.

I plan on loading with green dot @ around 1200fps for range fun.

mac1911
06-03-2010, 10:54 PM
yes I did, cause I got so much of it. Good News......no problems did not stick to the mold, filled out nice and they wieghed in @ 1.0010 to 1.0035 out of the 12 I casted. I had to re-smelt a batch of wheel weights that got cut short the other day due to rain. Sooooo, I had to try some lee 1oz slugs with WWs

copdills
06-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Hello mac1911 I have always used WW lead with a little tin with my 12 ga lee 1oz ,I ran my heat at about 725 degrees and water dropped never had a problem with them sticking in the mold, let me add to get good slugs from the first one dropped I used a hot plate to warm my mold up on ,I would turn my lead pot on and turn the hot plate on to about 3/4 on range put my mold on it and when the lead reached 700-725 the mold would be good & hot and ready to ROCK
good luck my casting friend
copdills

ps alway clean a new mold with dawn and hot water , I do this ,then boil it in boiling water for about 15 min and its good to go, you can smoke the mold with a bic lighter if you want too

mac1911
10-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Hello mac1911 I have always used WW lead with a little tin with my 12 ga lee 1oz ,I ran my heat at about 725 degrees and water dropped never had a problem with them sticking in the mold, let me add to get good slugs from the first one dropped I used a hot plate to warm my mold up on ,I would turn my lead pot on and turn the hot plate on to about 3/4 on range put my mold on it and when the lead reached 700-725 the mold would be good & hot and ready to ROCK
good luck my casting friend
copdills

ps alway clean a new mold with dawn and hot water , I do this ,then boil it in boiling water for about 15 min and its good to go, you can smoke the mold with a bic lighter if you want too

well its been a few couple years since I was casting/shooting shotgun.
I have acquired a good amount of pure lead since my last slug casting session.
Found 700-750'F and a the mold hot enough to feel a little warmth through the wood handles produces nice slugs that fall from the mold with a slight whack of the pivot bolt.

picture in a bit.