PDA

View Full Version : How You make Malt

smokemjoe
06-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I soaked 4 lbs. of rye and then 6 lbs. of corn for 24 hrs, I layed it on a burlap bag on the floor, Now what happens, and then what do I do. Thanks

markshere2
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
google is your friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HauYECAEQ8I

DIRT Farmer
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Been a while, but the grain should have a sprout twice the length of the grain. then needs raked (stired) to dry. I would think you could use a hair dryer for short times to speed the process. Some malts are dryed, I cant rember the proper name of the box, for small scale using a hair dryer. Good luck.

Dale in Louisiana
06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Some malts are dried in the sun, some by direct or indirect heat, and some are roasted to varying degrees. The darker roasted malts are used for specialty brewing of beer.

the main thing the malting process does is change starches into sugars that yeasts can eat to turn into alcohol.

Dale in Louisiana

smokemjoe
06-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Dale: After it gets long roots, smash it up or air day as is, Thanks- Joe

Dale in Louisiana
06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
dry as is. smash up or crush or grind later...

Freebore
06-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Don't let the sprout consume too much of the converted starch. I have always heard that when the sprout reaches the length of the seed, roast it.

10 ga
08-07-2010, 05:58 PM
When sprout is same length as grain grind. I use a meat grinder with a very fine plate. Mix the grindings with equal volume of corn meal. Measure about 1 gallon of malt/meal mix to 5 gallons of water. Slowly heat and stir often. When it boils then cool to room temperature and add yeast. When the bubbling stops put in still and heat. The alcohol boils off at 170 to 180 d. It will condense in the "worm" and will drip out to make "white dog"(raw whiskey). Use google to find more stuff about "moonshine", home distilling, etc... It's a simple process and very heavily taxed here in USA. Remember moonshining is just tax evasion. If you're making malt for beer then home brewing is OK and not taxed. The drying or roasting of the malt is what gives beer some of it's flavor. For beer stick with the rye, barley and wheat malts. Rice, corn, sorghum and potato beer sucks. 10 ga