PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W mold

JRR
08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I know 40 cal. commercial bullets are plentiful, but I take great satisfaction in making my own. I'm considering RCBS, Redding and Lyman, in the 175 gr. range. My pistols (CZs) feed just about anything. The big choice is between flat based and bevel based. Which casts easier? Which mould is the most well known for accuracy?
Thanks,
Jeff

Cloudpeak
08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
I've had very good luck with my Lee 6 cavity TL401-175-SWC mold.
172 cast 4.4 gr P.P. 4 shots-.87", 5 shots-1.53" at 7 yards. I pulled the last shot 'cause I got excited seeing how small the group was:???:
Cloudpeak
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Targets/DSCN0885.jpg

Explorer1
08-27-2006, 10:27 PM
No sane person would object with the results Cloudpeak is getting!

I lean to the Lyman and Saeco moulds, but can not bad mouth Lee with much creditability. Especially for the value.

No longer having a 40, I am trying to sell a new Lyman (155 gr) mould and 4-cavity SAECO (170) if you are interested. They are in the swap area or you can PM me.

Cloudpeak
08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I lean to the Lyman and Saeco moulds, but can not bad mouth Lee with much creditability. Especially for the value.

Lee 6 bangers sure do have a lot of bank for the buck. I've cast alot of bullets with my mold. I've got 3 coffee cans full of cast & lubed bullets on the shelf, however many that is. I suppose I'll fall in love with my 1911 45 and won't shoot the XD40 again & will end up melting down all of the 40's:???:

I have an old Lyman 4 cavity 44 cal mold (an old Keith design) and it's great! There's something to be said for it's solid construction. I've kind of messed up my Lee 6 cavity by gouging the top of the mold with the sprue cutter. I need to get some of the lube from the guy in AK (sorry, I've been away from the forum for several months and have forgot the name. I'll look it up when I get time.)

I think you could set a bomb off on the Lyman and not put a scratch in it. But, I'm trying to get with as little invested as possible. The more I spend on casting, the better store bought cast look.

It's good to be back on this forum. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the people here.

Cloudpeak

Johnch
08-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I have the 6 gang 175 gr bullet with the standard lube grove .
While off hand I may not be able to shoot the Sig 229 as well as I would like .
It is not the bullets fault .
Off sand bags I can keep them all 1.5" at 50' or less depending on the load and my caffine intake that day .

I shoot 2-1 range lead to WW

Johnch

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2006, 06:24 AM
PM SENT
No sane person would object with the results Cloudpeak is getting!

No longer having a 40, I am trying to sell a new Lyman (155 gr) mould and 4-cavity SAECO (170) if you are interested. They are in the swap area or you can PM me.

KCSO
09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
In Wheelguns I posted a couple of 1 1/2" gorups shot at 20 and 25 yards with this same bullet from my 38-40. This is one good shootin' bullet and I wish I was set up for gang moulds for this one.