PDA

View Full Version : Primers-Rifle/Pistol, interchange???

SWANEEDB
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Have heard you can interchange primers, rifle to pistol or vice-versa. I have not tried but any of you out there on this great forum ever done the swap? What is the real difference?

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
"Primers are made in small and large primers for both rifle and pistol. Small primers; for both rifle and pistol are .175 inches in diameter and .112 inches in height. Large primers, on the other hand, for both rifle and pistol are .210 inches in diameter, but are .123 inches in height for large rifle primers and .113 inches in height for large pistol primers. Large rifle primer pockets are deeper then large pistol primer pockets by .010 inches and small rifle primer pockets are the same depth as small pistol primer pockets."

I have used large pistol primers in cartridges which take large rifle primers for cast bullet loads which do not have too much pressure. I do not know if this is safe.

Using large rifle primers in cartridges which take large pistol primers would give primers which are 0.010 inch taller than normal. High primers could cause slam fires. I have not tried it, but this does not seem safe.

Charlie Two Tracks
06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
What RogerWatsonfromIdaho said. Not safe.

jonblack
06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I think you will find as a general rule it is safe to use rifle primers in a pistol, but (in general) not pistol primers in a rifle. The cups on pistol primers are most likely softer.

Example: using pistol primers in AR type semi-autos will result in a slam-fire due to the soft primer cups and floating firing pin.

Now, if you want me to back any of the above claims up with scientific evidence you will have me back into a corner.

You can take a look at this (http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php) page and see if you can find any info that will help you one way or the other.

Take care
jonblack

Tom-ADC
06-01-2010, 11:41 PM
I think for a while the BPCR guys were using large pistol primers in the 45-70 type cartridges. I think the trend has changed back.

dale2242
06-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I use small pistol primers in my 22 Hornet. I first heard of this when Speer put out the first loading data for the 33 gr TNT bullets. The release said they got better accuracy with the SP primers in the Hornet. I found this to be true. Remember, 22 Hornet operates at pistol pressures. DO NOT try this with high pressure cartridges....dale

XWrench3
06-02-2010, 08:49 AM
i have started using large pistol primers in my pistol powder super reduced loads in rifles. other than that, stick to what belongs where. if you look hard enough, you can find what you need, although it may cost more than what you want to spend.

Shooter6br
06-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I use small rifle primers in my 32 mag I no longer have a small rifle No problem. Large rifle in a pistol cancause miss fires in some guns. Autos

madsenshooter
06-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I tried using large pistol primers in my Krag with a cast load that developed around 35000psi, everyone of them tore at the firing pin indent as the primer moved to flush with the casehead. With the firing pin still there, the primer couldn't stretch enough.

GBertolet
06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
It is perfectly acceptable to use pistol primers in place of rifle primers provided the pressure is less than the 40k range. That is the normal accepted max working pressure of most handgun cartridges. Take note that large pistol primers are about 7 thousandths shorter than large rifle primers, giving a longer gap to breech with the firing pin. Most guns have no problem doing this. One other thing to watch for, is if you are using a rifle with an exceptionally heavy firing pin hit, such as a military rifle, or a firing pin with a very sharp point, which could pierce the primers, as the cup is much thinner. If this happens you should stop using them in that rifle. I use large pistol primers regularly in my 1899 Krag carbine with cast bullets having no problems. Also, try to stick with faster burning and easy to ignite powders when using pistol primers. You will get better results.

SWANEEDB
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the input, I knew I would get replies here.:bigsmyl2: