PDA

View Full Version : What top punchs for this bullets ?

Dominique
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Hello
When I was searching for a .44 "full" wadcutter , I found this topic http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12280&highlight=.44-200+DEWC and also the large choice of different weight offered by NEI
Having a look on this topic, I was helped in my own choice : I ordered

.429-200-BBWC DE (#245A )
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/429-200-bbwc-de.jpg

and also a .429-240-BB (#251)
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/429-240-bb.jpg

By a lack of reflexion I thinking a litlle bit too later to ask what type/ N° of top punchs are right...
I asked to Joel Fragoso from NEI and he reply:

" Not sure if you want Top punches you order them like:
#251 Lyman I will cut it with the #251 cherry used to cut your mould
#245A in saeco or Star "

Then my answer was :
" it is a lack of reflexe from myself not having thought of it sooner
and dont ask about best kind of top pounch...
indeed, to cut a Lyman top pounch with the original #251 cherry used to cut the mould is probably the best !
Is it possible to do the same for the #245 A with a Lyman or RCBS top pounch ? = use a SAECO is not right because
SAECO is not usable on LYMAN/ RCBS Lubrisizers;
How other buyers are doing with their flat top WC bullet ?
How much would cost this two top pouch + shipping ?"

Since, without reply, I forwarded my message but stay again without reply...
I know there are some American people wich are "cold" in contact and Joel seems to be the typical exemple
(no "Hi", no "Regards", not cordial nor expansive )
So I understand now the mould are sold, I have to help myself with the top punchs...
For the "classic" .429-240-BB I presume a standard #421 Lyman wil be right ? (with or without finish with " the original #251 cherry ")
But for the "flat top" .429-200-BBWC DE so similar to your own "group buying project" what kind of top punch did I must buy ?
(and only in the LYMAN / RCBS Lubrisizers design !)

If you can help me....
Thank you for all.
Dominique

AZ-Stew
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Dominique,

I think you may have success with the Lyman 421 top punch for both boolits. It will surround the nose of the 240 gr SWC and the rim of the nose cutout will rest evenly around the top face of the full WC, therefore will seat it squarely. Give it a try. If it doesn't work so well for the WC, contact one of our members, Buckshot, who can make you a flat-faced top punch that should work.

Regards,

Stew

dragonrider
06-01-2010, 04:42 PM
You could use a flat top punch for either one of those boolits.

Dominique
06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
".... It will surround the nose of the 240 gr SWC and the rim of the nose cutout will rest evenly around the top face of the full WC, therefore will seat it squarely. Give it a try...."

YES ! it's a good idea !!!! Thank you Stew for this advice.
It can works; and anyway I need it for the SWC, so it cost nothing to begin by try it ;)
I will give an order for a 421 and I will be back to tell you how does it works.
Best regards.
Dominique

Blammer
06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
take a bolt, cut off the head but leave a shaft long enough to put in the sizer, taa daaa, flat top punch.

ulav8r
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I bought the recommended punch for a Lee .44 214gr SWC about 30 years ago. The punch had a huge straight sided cavity and only contacted the front edge of the shoulder. I seated a bullet part way into the sizing die and then installed the punch into the press with a small amount of Acraglass in the cavity and set it down against the bullet. The next day I removed the punch and let it set a little longer to fully cure. It gives full contact and will not deform the bullet.

beagle
06-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Make the flat TP out of a bolt and be done with it..... It will work well on both./beagle

Dominique
06-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Thank you everybody for your advices
very often the more simple is the best, I already read that Acraglass or similar two parts resin compoud can works well. For a flat top any piece of metal can works also. I will have a look in this way; but anyway if somebody know the right factory number flat top punch, I agree to know it.
Thank you again.

Dominique