PDA

View Full Version : Got a little something in the mail today

HDS
06-01-2010, 12:18 PM
And how suitably that it arrived almost the same day as Clint Eastwoods birthday, just one day late ;)

http://i50.tinypic.com/23h8xls.jpg

It's a S&W 629 Classic 6.5", it's been further worked on by a german company called Wischo. The changes I can see are an unfluted cylinder, bead blasted finish, new partridge front sight, millet rear sight and a S&W branded nill grip made for one hand usage only.

I already got a pair of Ahrend grips on the way (same as on the 329). While the nills are nice I can't use the speedloaders with those grips.

exile
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Very impressive. Hope you post another picture once you get your new grips installed.

exile

HeavyMetal
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice speed loaders!

Who's are they? I've been looking for that style for years but could only find K frame 38 special.

MtGun44
06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Nice pistol! Those are some really good looking grips, too. I'll bet that
one will be a real shooter.

Want to buy a set of the Ahrends grips? They came on my 329 and
don't suit me. Beautiful pieces of work, I have always admired Kim's
workmanship.

Bill

Longrange
06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Sweeet.

Do you share??

:p

HDS
06-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the compliments everybody!

Nice speed loaders!

Who's are they? I've been looking for that style for years but could only find K frame 38 special.

They're of german manufacture, over here in europe (I'm in Finland) they're known as Longwitz speedloaders, I believe in america they are known as Variant-SL. IIRC they where quite expensive, 30 bucks or so. I got mine for 15 per loader from a guy at a local forum.

Want to buy a set of the Ahrends grips? They came on my 329 and don't suit me. Beautiful pieces of work, I have always admired Kim's
workmanship.

Sorry already bought a set on ebay, I did buy that exact model of grip though, hope they fit me. I would have liked another set of nills but after this purchase and the investment in casting equipment etc. I went with that one because it was priced really well.

Southern Son
06-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Very nice. It is a pity that the grips are not suitable because they look great. I have seen S&W 686's with the unfluted cylinder, they looked pretty good, too.

HDS
06-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I went and shot it for the first time last night, bow howdy does it have a kick. First time shooting anything bigger than a .45ACP out of a handgun for me. I'll never understand people with snubnose .44mags, but they have my respect :D

Now my actual question is about solvents, anyone have any tips for how to get rid of the residue on the front of the cylinder and also on the sides?

The sides are more annoying as powder residue has splashed up on the sides and there is a little triangle shape of fouling on the sides overe each cylinder throat. I had it overnnight in eds red and it wouldn't come off.

AzShooter
06-03-2010, 02:02 AM
MPro-7 is the best solvent out there. If you can't get the carbon off right away with a brush and a little scrupping let it sit for 15 minutes and everything will come off.

Back when I was a good shot, MPro-7 sponsored me for a few years. It's still all I use for cleaning.

You can always take some sandpaper to those beautiful grips and make them work with your speed loaders. Nills are beautiful but if you take your time no one will notice you did it yourself.

HDS
06-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Ah, I don't think so, you should see the other side:
http://i49.tinypic.com/a0hvtx.jpg

It's got a huge thumb rest, the grip is made for single hand shooting. Gonna sell it, it's worth a lot as is.

AzShooter
06-03-2010, 02:22 AM
They are beautiful. I just picked up my first Model 29. 8 3/8 barrel. I'm using it for giggles at some of the local USPSA club matches and shooting .44 Russians in it. I had it converted to use full moon clips.

I wish we had those speedloaders here. Just like Comp IIIs which are the fasted way to load a revolver. My best times are with Comp IIIs instead of moon clips.

Good luck shooting. Thanks for the second pick.

mtgrs737
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I have been a fan of the N frame smiths for a long time, excellent actions and balance in a large bore revolver. The Hk "P" series guys are big followers of Nills grips, their quality is outstanding. Thanks for the pictures and have fun with your smith.

HDS
06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I suppose I can squeeze in an unrelated picture of my other revolver:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2j3fthg.jpg

S&W M17-2, made in 1965, it's like new, locks up tightly, cylinder endshake is almost nonexistant. Dealer claimed 1500 rounds through it and given what it looks like I can believe it hasn't had many rounds through it in its life.

Went shooting today as well since it was my clubs monthly shooting day, we usually set up some IPSC style courts, either for pistols or rifles, brought the revolver and shot some pepper poppers, really a wonderful gun.

I let one person try it and he smacked himself in the mouth with the first shot, kinda suprised by that since he had shot a .500S&W another time without doing that.

Oh I had this photo lying around, kinda silly:
http://i47.tinypic.com/rk62j6.jpg

Maven
06-03-2010, 06:27 PM
"And how suitably that it arrived almost the same day as Clint Eastwoods birthday, just one day late ."

So, HDM, I guess they made your day?

HDS
06-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Something negative detected, got this running on the top of the barrel:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2e2118l.jpg

It can be seen much better on the photo with the macro function, I didn't notice it until the sun fell on it the right way. Still I didn't expect this on a new gun, let alone one that's been further, supposedly polished by a second tuning company.

Unfortunately they are gone now. I have asked a local gunsmith for his opinion on this as well as S&W in america what they feel ought to be done and if this is common nowadays on new S&Ws?

M4Sherman
06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Beautiful revolver.

MGySgt
06-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Now my actual question is about solvents, anyone have any tips for how to get rid of the residue on the front of the cylinder and also on the sides?

G96 and Birchwood Casey has a product that is a cloth Wipe Away Lead or some such. Anyway that will take the carbon rings off a SS gun and not scratch the surface. Believe it or not they are on blued gun - we just can't see them!

TCLouis
06-08-2010, 10:17 PM
NICE!

Love what bead blasting does to Stainless Steel.

HDS
06-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Got my Ahrends today, I like them more than the nills, this is more suited to my hands, and the speedloaders work now!
http://i50.tinypic.com/2hfmjq1.jpg

cajun shooter
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Never Dull and Flitz both will take it off. We also have a cleaning cloth that is sold in the USA that you can just wipe the residue away. I had all my police trainees use it on their revolvers but I am having a heck of a time trying to recall the name. They last good while and cost about $5 Look at Midway, Mid-South or Grafs.