PDA

View Full Version : Separation of beeswax/alox boolit lube from ambient heat.

Hang Fire
06-01-2010, 04:03 AM
I live in a part of AZ where summer temps often reach 125 degrees. I load out in the garage which is only cooled when occupied, if I leave the alox/beeswax in the lube/sizer, the darker alox separates and leaks out the bottom of my old Ideal #45 unit. If a tube is left lying on the bench in a clear container, it separates and the darker alox is then seen on the bottom side.

Would it help if more beeswax or a little candle wax was added to the mix? Or, is it just the tendency of the alox to separate out at higher temps?

If switching to a harder lube that requires a heat source, I read on the Lyman site a heater can be retrofitted for the #45 unit. BOTOH, I can leave the cooler off and do my boolit lubing in the summer time, the hard bullet lube should then be soft enough to flow without an external heater and I can then drip sweat and just pretend I am in my ersatz sauna.

buck1
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
steric acid may help. It should raise the melting point and help hold things together.

Changeling
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
steric acid may help. It should raise the melting point and help hold things together.

Thanks Buck, you beat me to it, but then again I learned it from you, LOL

buck1
06-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I learned it from Felix , right here myself! LOL

lar45
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
I have a question: Which brand of 50-50 were you useing?

I've had a piece of my 50-50 lube sitting out on a paper next to my desk for about 5 years now and it is still soft and pliable. It took about 2 years for a slight oil stain to get on the paper under the lube.

A stiffer lube might work better for your summertime shooting.

Hang Fire
06-02-2010, 02:03 AM
I have a question: Which brand of 50-50 were you useing?

I've had a piece of my 50-50 lube sitting out on a paper next to my desk for about 5 years now and it is still soft and pliable. It took about 2 years for a slight oil stain to get on the paper under the lube.

A stiffer lube might work better for your summertime shooting.

It is Javelina 50/50 Alox/beeswax.

Lived in AK and WY for years, no problems there either, but here in the AZ desert along the Colorado River, tis is a different animal. When it gets up to 125 degrees outside, I know inside the closed garage it feels hotter yet.

I will get some Ivory soap and maybe try a little to prevent separation and some paraffin to stiffen.