PDA

View Full Version : Grilling 1/2 chicken, seasoning, whatever?

Changeling
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
OK first off I have grilled a lot of 1/2 chickens (I'm single). I don't do to badly and have tried several different recipes!

However when the other guys introduced me to "Blackened Steak/venison/whatever" I thought I better put in a plea/guidance for 1/2 chicks.
Normally I use pepper, salt, paprika and garlic, lots of garlic!
I put on a hot grill (Webber gas) and cook for about 40 minutes give or take, no thermometers or anything other than the clock . It's OK but not what I would really call great by any stretch of the imagination.

Opinions would be very much appreciated.

Heavy lead
05-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Grilling 1/2 chicken is one of my favorites, I moisten it in worstescher sauce, coat it with Lowry's season salt and marinate for at least a couple hours. I have a Weber too with the two split coal tray's, I start the fire with charcoal and also a few chunks of mesquite, apple or hickory then move them to the outside of the grill so there are no coals in the middle, flop the chicken skin down and brown them good toward the outside for maybe 4, 5 minutes then turn it over for a minute or so over the hot coals, then move it to the middle (over no coals), turn the air vent almost closed and cook for about 30 minutes, always comes out moist this way, wife loves it too. Of course a bigger chicken may take a little longer, I usually buy a 3 pound chicken give or take a bit. I have one of the Weber's with the propane starters with the trays, but you could move the coals around where you wanted to, I just find you have to cook chicken in the indirect method not over the grills or I always dry it out.
I've tried in without the worstescher and like it better with it.

Changeling
05-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Grilling 1/2 chicken is one of my favorites, I moisten it in worstescher sauce, coat it with Lowry's season salt and marinate for at least a couple hours. I have a Weber too with the two split coal tray's, I start the fire with charcoal and also a few chunks of mesquite, apple or hickory then move them to the outside of the grill so there are no coals in the middle, flop the chicken skin down and brown them good toward the outside for maybe 4, 5 minutes then turn it over for a minute or so over the hot coals, then move it to the middle (over no coals), turn the air vent almost closed and cook for about 30 minutes, always comes out moist this way, wife loves it too. Of course a bigger chicken may take a little longer, I usually buy a 3 pound chicken give or take a bit. I have one of the Weber's with the propane starters with the trays, but you could move the coals around where you wanted to, I just find you have to cook chicken in the indirect method not over the grills or I always dry it out.
I've tried in without the worstescher and like it better with it.

I should have said, didn't think about it. I use a Weber gas grill. However i do have there big kettle grill and hands down it cooks better than the gas grill. It's just so darn much easier for me to get the gas grill going since it is right outside my deck/door. So, that is where I do 90% of my grill cooking.

Thanks for the reply!

MT Gianni
06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Try brining it overnight in salt water about 1/2-1 cup salt per gallon.

mooman76
06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I got a simple recipie for a beer can chicken but don't see why it wouldn't work on a half chicken. 2 Tablespoons each of Brown sugar, garlic salt, paprika and black pepper mixed. Rub on chicken. The recipie also calls for 1/2 can of beer(you can do whatever with the other half) and you put 2 tablespoons of the rub in the 1/2 can of beer and set the chicken on the can and on a flat pan and grill or back if you wish until done. If you only want to do half then you can drink all the beer and skip the last part.

Changeling
06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Try brining it overnight in salt water about 1/2-1 cup salt per gallon.

Excellent point! My mom taught me to do this, but you don't have to do it overnight. For a cut up chicken about 3 hours. For 6 wings (single man size) about an hour.

One thing you will not believe is how much "Crud" comes off the bird/parts, rinse well, you will be amazed! Mt Gianni is dead right on this!!!

Glen
06-05-2010, 12:24 PM
McCormick makes a rub for chicken called "Montreal Chicken" that I really like for grilled chicken (we'll be having some for dinner tonight in fact). It's very good.

fatnhappy
06-05-2010, 05:51 PM

I can't believe this thread has been up a week and nobody recommended cornell chicken.

marinade it overnight and baste while you're grilling.

You'll never try it any other way.

Changeling
06-05-2010, 06:37 PM
McCormick makes a rub for chicken called "Montreal Chicken" that I really like for grilled chicken (we'll be having some for dinner tonight in fact). It's very good.

Glen I use there, steak seasoning, best I ever found so I will give there Chic seasoning a try, thanks.

FatnHappy, I never heard of it till now, I'll definitely give it a go and let you know. It sure seems to have a big following.

rkubier
09-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I use a gas grill, keep the temp at 300 and slow cook quarters using mccorrmicks roasted herb and garlic seasoning, depending on size around 40-55 minutes with the lid down turning every 12-15 min or so

Bodydoc447
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I spinkle this liberally on the chicken, both sides and grill per usual. Very nice flavor. My sons love it, too. Another flavor to try anyway.

Doc

Shiloh
09-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Depends where you are wanting to take your chicken.

I have been doing the Asian theme. Marinate in teriyaki/soy sauce. Add garlic and crushed fresh ginger to the marinate. When almost done, baste with leftover marinade to which oyster sauce has been added to make a sweet/salty glaze. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds when done. You can then thicken over a low burner the leftover marinate with molasses added as a sauce.

You really can't "fowl" up a roast chicken.

Shiloh

whd45
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I like the Greek seasoning and a charcoal fire, with the chicken cooking with indirect heat. I am going to have to try the brine and see what that does for it. The beer can chicken is good also.

nanuk
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
I like Club House BBQ chicken seasoning SALT (their other BBQ chix seasoning tastes terrible to me) and coat it well, oregano (or 3 itialian seaoning), garlic Powder, onion Powder, (notice not the salt) and then coat very well with paprika

I like to soak the chicken in salt water to clean it. before hand

brine overnight is good too if you have space and time.

Then cook on off side gas grill over a flat pan of water to avoid flareups.

cook on a medium heat til the skin just starts to get crisp. check internal temp. thick parts to 170F

enjoy with thick sliced bread and margarine. BBQ'd taters 'n onions, and a nice warm Guinness!

Chicken Thief
09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
If you put a "small" tray/pot in the grill with liquid in it, then that will season and moisten the meat, while cooking.
Beer, cider is good and orange juice is great. Ad to that whatever herbs you like.

Papa Foxtrot
09-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I use equal parts salt, fine ground pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. I keep it in a powder sugar shaker and dust just about everything that I grill with it. If I have time, I dust the meat about two hours before grilling. People always ask what I marinate with!

frankenfab
09-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I buy the huge foodservice containers of Italian dressing at Sam's. That is what I usually marinate my chicken in. I am going to try the brining method today.

Cavender's Greek Seasoning is one of my favorite spice blends. It is made in Harrison, Arkansas.

You can get a HUGE tub of it, but I haven't bought one of the tubs:

http://www.cavendersseasoning.net/order_online.php?cam=product_details&prod_id=4551