PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off old lube

NewGuy
05-31-2010, 08:47 AM
In the course of my scrounging for components, I picked up several thousand gas checked cast bullets for a song. They were lubed, but not properly stored, so many are dusty/gritty. What is the best way to clean off the old lube? Boiling water? Mineral spirits? Thanks in advance.

prs
05-31-2010, 09:55 AM
spread them on their sides upon thick paper towelling upon a cookie sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil (to keep the subsequent chocklate chips tastey) and them "bake" the boolits in a WARM oven. If lubed with NRA or similar allox, it can get messy and stinky if you go too hot.

prs

lwknight
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
If the gritty don't come off with the lube try boiling with some dawn dish soap in the water.
Maybe that will get em dry emough to drop the gritty stuff.

Lead Fred
05-31-2010, 10:14 AM
oven 175 degrees for 15-20

Larry Gibson
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I let them soak in a coffee can with enough Coleman Fuel to just cover the bullets. After a couple hours (amount of time depends on the kind of lube, the hard wax commercial stuff takes a little longer) and then a simple sloshing around takes most of the lube and residue off. I then drain off the fulet into my cold fire pit and then dump the bullets onto an old bath towel. Fold the towel over length wise and then grasp both ends and swish the bullets back and forth a few times. This removes most of the fules left and any grit/dirt. I then let them dry over night or if needed right away finish drying them with the wife's hair dryer (don't get caught). A coat of LLA or lubing in the Lyman 450 has them ready to load. A lot simpler to do than explain.

Larry Gibson

D Crockett
05-31-2010, 11:49 PM
put them on a metal window screen and pour boiling water over then till the lube is gone I did about 6000 that way one time that I put the wrong lube on D Crockett

qajaq59
06-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I've boiled them for that reason and they came out clean. Just let the lube settle to the top and skim it off after it cools.

Fugowii
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I've boiled them for that reason and they came out clean. Just let the lube settle to the top and skim it off after it cools.

This works for me.