PDA

View Full Version : lube wad extruder

water bug
05-31-2010, 07:18 AM
I would like to find a lube wad extruder to make lube cookies for BPCR loading. I have seen reference to a Tom Ballard from Helena Montana making them. Does any one know if they are still available and how to contact him? Do any suppliers carry that extruder? Are there any other economical wad extruders to buy? Thanks W.B.

sav300
05-31-2010, 08:30 AM
maybe buffalo arms?

Horace
05-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Not high tech . Melt your lube ,pour onto smooth surface and let cool.Use wood chisel of width you want lube ribbon scrape of surface.

Horace

water bug
05-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Buffalo Arms does have an extruder, but NOT the one designed and sold at one time by Tom Ballard of MT. I am looking for a source of THAT specific extruder. Thanks. W. B.

powderburnerr
05-31-2010, 06:58 PM
I have not talked to tom for a couple years , I heard he sold his machinery,,

you might try calling him ,, he lives in clancy Mt. I do not know his number sorry.Dean

RP
05-31-2010, 07:28 PM
I was thinking of a sauage stuffer but I need a hole down the middle for my sticks. So iam using PVC pipe and alum arrow shafts to make my sticks. Just a thought may work for you.

geargnasher
06-01-2010, 01:30 AM
I would like to find a lube wad extruder to make lube cookies for BPCR loading. I have seen reference to a Tom Ballard from Helena Montana making them. Does any one know if they are still available and how to contact him? Do any suppliers carry that extruder? Are there any other economical wad extruders to buy? Thanks W.B.

You have me stumped, maybe someone on the black powder page could help.

Gear

EDK
06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
One of Paul Matthews' black powder books has instructions on how to make one. I bought one from Gussy (Cabine Tree) at Quigley last year. A guy in Boise made them also. Try some of the black powder cartridge rifle sites....somebody is always making items of this sort.

Basically make a tube with one end slotted for the width and thickness ribbon you want. The other end has some sort of piston to push the lube thru the slot....similar to a caulking gun or grease gun. You need to cultivate someone with a lathe and milling machine to knock one out for you.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

challenger_i
06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Maybe I am missing something, here...

Why not line a cookie sheet with wax paper, heat & pour your lube on the cookie sheet, until it is the desired thickness. Let it cool, and get stiff. Pull up the wax papaer, gently, and lay it on a solid surface. Charge your cases, set a felt wad over the powder. Then, take the charged case and press it into the lube sheet. Set another wad, if desired, and seat your bullet.

Just my 2 cents worth...

zuke
06-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I use to pour molten lube onto really HOT water and let it all cool off.
The lube float's to the top and will self level.
Same way they pour molten glass over molten tin to make flat glass sheet's.

challenger_i
06-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Sound's like the way I make tallow...

Southern Son
06-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Challenger, the lube sheet needs to be exactly the same thickness all over, otherwise the OAL will vary.

Zuke, that was the way that I made my lube cookies untill I tried a lube that contained soap. That was a learning moment for me.

challenger_i
06-02-2010, 09:56 AM
The felt wad will have some "give" to it, making allowances for slight variances in the lube thickness.

BPCR Bill
06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I have not talked to tom for a couple years , I heard he sold his machinery,,

you might try calling him ,, he lives in clancy Mt. I do not know his number sorry.Dean

I heard Tom had cancer and has gotten completely out of the mold buisness. That was a couple years ago, and I don't even know if he's still alive.

Regards,
Bill

challenger_i
06-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Hope is a strategy, when praying upon the masses of the mindless....

Sorry. Shameless political plug...

Regards,
Bill[/QUOTE]

Baja_Traveler
06-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Just read this idea today over at BPCR.net...

"make up a batch of lube using bee's wax, lanolin, & transmission assembly lube and load the little extruder up. Twisting the screw produces a 1/8" flat ribbon about .500" wide."

http://www.amazon.com/Makin-27s-Professional-Ultimate-Clay-Extruder/dp/B0018BOXWQ